Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Thomas Ellis Gibson
Born in: Charleston, South Carolina, U.S.
Famous as: Actor
Spouse/Ex-: Christine Gibson (m. 1993; div. 2015)
father: Charles M.
mother: Beth Gibson
U.S. State: South Carolina
Thomas Ellis Gibson is a famous American actor and director. With his charming persona, camera- ready looks and impeccable stage training, he found onscreen success very early. Thomas got interested in acting right from his childhood days and to fulfill his acting aspirations he joined the ‘Little Theatre School’ and also started to perform from Children’s theatre at the age of 9 years. Thomas continued to perform in several community theatre productions and finally made his debut performance in the television series titled ‘Leg Work’ in 1987. He made his professional stage debut in 1985 in David Hare’s ‘A Map of the World’ and in 1992, he got his big break as he was asked to star in Far and Away (1992). Thomas is renowned for starring in the role of Daniel Nyland in the CBS television series ‘Chicago Hope’ and he also appeared in ‘The Kennedys of Massachusetts’, Armistead Maupin’s ‘Tales of the City’ for PBS and in the NBC’S mini-series ‘A Will of their Own’. In 2010, he won the Entertainment Weekly Online Poll for Under- appreciated Entertainer of the Year Award.
- Thomas Gibson was born Thomas Ellis Gibson on 3rd of July, 1962 in Charleston, South Carolina, United States to Charles M. “Mac” Gibson and Beth Gibson. He was born in a middle class family and was the youngest of four siblings. His mother Beth was a social worker and his father Charles was a lawyer and a liberal democrat who served in the South Carolina state’s Senate and House.His father had English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh ancestry and his mother’s root is Half Irish and half German.Gibson was fascinated with Louis Armstrong right from his childhood. He and his sister were in the same swimming team and after the class they would visit a pizza parlor and it was there that Gibson would sing along with Dixieland band trying to emote Louis’s voice.Thomas was raised in a Roman Catholic Background and he had an inclination towards performing arts from a very tender age so he enrolled in Little Theatre School and later completed his graduation from Bishop England High School.He then attended the College of Charleston from 1979 to 1981 and started to work as an intern at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. He was encouraged by his peers and seniors to apply to the prestigious Juilliard School. After one and a half year at Charleston he got a scholarship to study in Julliard’s Drama Division from 1981 to 1985 .He leaped on to the opportunity and finally graduated with Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from there in 1985.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:TV Career
- Thomas made his stage debut in David Hare’s ‘A Map of the World’ in the Ney York Shakespeare Festival. He also kept on performing in several plays for producer Joe Pap whether in Central Park or in Public Theatre.He even worked on and off Broadway for the next ten years playing diverse role in plays by Shakespeare, Moliere, Tennesy Williams, Rommulus Linney, Allan Ball to name a few. His big- break came when he was asked to debut as a guest role as Robbie on CBS’s Legal Drama television series ‘Leg Work’ in 1987. This followed with other television performances like Guiding Light as Peter Latham, Lincoln as William Sprague, Chicago Hope as Daniel Nyland and Caroline in the City as William Stevens.Thomas is most popularly known for the Dharma &Greg series (1997-2002) where he plays the role of a conservative lawyer who is married to a free- spirited yoga instructor Dharma on his first date as is stated ‘opposites attract each other’. Their contradictory point of views created comical and hilarious situations and was appreciated a lot by the viewers. This series won one Golden Globe Award. Thomas has also directed the last two seasons of this series (2001-2002)He also acted in the ‘Criminal Minds’ television series for 6 seasons (2005-2016) as agent Aaron Hotchner. The program dealt with the F.B.I Behavioral Analysis Unit, an elite group of profilers who analyze the serious criminals and serial killers and how they can prevent them from their next strike. It was nominated for three Primetime Emmy’s. He has also directed six series of this show since 2013to 2016.Gibson also acted in two American sitcoms like ‘Two and a Half Men’ as Greg (2011) and ‘Hot in Cleveland’ as Tom (2015).Film Career
- Thomas debuted in films with the romantic adventure ‘Far and Away’ where he shared screen presence with veteran actors like Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in 1992. In this film he plays the villainous rival of Joseph Donnelly (Tom Cruise) for Shannon Christe’s (Nicole Kidman) affection.He played the role of a homosexual waiter David in the film ‘Love and the Human Remains’ in 1993. Then onwards he has acted in many films like action film ‘Men of War’ (1994) as Warren, comedy, drama film ‘Sleep with Me’ as Nigel, ‘Manhood’ as Faith’s Attorney (2003). Thomas was very much appreciated for his role portrayal as Carl in the erotic drama film ‘Eyes Wide Shut’ (1999) along with Tom Cruise.Continue Reading BelowHe has given his voice as Slade Wilson/ Deathstroke for the film ‘Son of Batman’ (2014) and lately as the voice of Joseph in ‘Axis’ (2017).Personal Life
- Thomas married his love of his life Christine Gibson who is also a famous actress in 1993. They have been married for 22 years and were blessed with three children - James Parker Gibson (born in 1999), Travis Carter (born 2002) and Agatha Marie Gibson (born 2004).The couple, however, separated in 2011 due to some misunderstanding in their relationship. Gibson at present resides in San Antonio, Texas.Net Worth
- As of August 2017, Thomas’ estimated net-worth is $15 million dollars as of 2017.Trivia
- He is very active in various social sites like Twitter and Facebook with a lot of fan following and he also has an authorized Instagram account too. His fans are crazy about his acting and are very much interested to know about his life.Thomas shares his birthday with Tom Cruise and Hunter Tylo.He is a very proficient golfer and he attended the same Catholic High School just like Sylvia Jefferies.Gibson is well- known for his deep baritone voice, intense underrated performance and also for rarely ever smiling on Criminal Minds.
How To CiteArticle Title- Thomas Gibson BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/thomas-gibson-33609.phpLast Updated- August 22, 2017
People Also Viewed