Tahj Mowry Biography
Sun Sign: Taurus
Also Known As: Tahj Dayton Mowry
Born in: Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Famous as: Actor
U.S. State: Hawaii
City: Honolulu, Hawaii
Tahj Mowry is one of the most popular American television actors of the current generation. A prodigious child, he made a name for himself in the world of entertainment pretty early in life. Even before turning ten, he had his hands full with work and a resume with several memorable guest and recurring roles. A versatile entertainer, he began his acting career at the age of four. When toddlers of his age were learning to express their basic needs, Mowry was out there in front of the camera, picking up roles and playing different characters. Though he has played a variety of roles in his blossoming career, he is best known for his role as TJ Henderson on the WB sitcom, ‘Smart Guy’ and as Wade on the animated comedy ‘Kim Possible.’ Barely 30, Mowry is more than a dozen television series and several films old. Not the one to be satisfied with little, he has cited that he wanted to be more than just an actor. Having a passion for singing, he has now stretched his artistic boundaries further and has begun to pursue a singing career as well. Truly a versatile entertainer!
- Tahj Mowry was born on May 17, 1986, in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Timothy John Mowry and Darlene Renee Flowers. While his father served the army and later worked as a custody officer with the city of Glendale Police Department, his mother managed the children’s acting careers. He has three siblings, twin sisters Tia and Tamera (who are also actors) and brother Tavior.
- He gained his elementary education from Welby Way Elementary School in West Hills, California. Later, he enrolled at the Pepperdine University, California.
- As a child, Mowry played football at the Westlake High School and later played a season at Savannah State University.
- Tahj Mowry made his acting debut in 1990 with the television series, ‘Who’s the Boss?’ as a one-time guest star character Greg. He was only four then.
- Though Mowry made his debut as a guest star character, it did give him the breakthrough that he most wanted. Following his role in ‘Who’s the Boss?’, he played several memorable characters in popular sitcoms such as ‘Out All Night’, ‘Where I Live’, ‘Aladdin’, ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’, ‘What-A Mess’, and ‘Timon & Pumbaa.’ His most memorable of them all came in the hit sitcom ‘Full House’ for which he donned the role of ‘Teddy.’
- In 1994, along with his twin sisters Tia and Tamera, Tahj Mowry starred in ABC’s successful sitcom, ‘Sister, Sister’ wherein he played the roles of ‘Cousin Taj’, ‘Sammy’ and ‘T.J. Henderson.’
- Television apart, Tahj made his presence felt in the big screen as well, making his debut in the 1991 flick, ‘Rappin’ N’ Rhymin’. He next appeared in the 1994 film, ‘Disney Sing Along Songs: Let’s Go To Circus.’
- Interestingly, by the time he was offered a role in the Disney sitcom, ‘Smart Guy’ he was already an accomplished actor with several hit series under his belt. He was the new rising star of entertainment, having made his presence felt everywhere from movies to sitcoms and cartoon series.
- ‘Smart Guy’ that premiered in 1997 was the most successful sitcom in Mowry’s early career. It had him portray the role of TJ Henderson. The show ran for fifty-one episodes and three seasons before being cancelled due to contract-dispute.
- Following the success of ‘Smart Guy’, he was featured in several hit sitcoms including ‘Express Yourself’ which continued until 2005. He was the star of numerous Disney movies including ‘Hounded’, ‘The Poof Point’ and ‘Seventeen Again’ the last of which he co-starred with his twin sisters.
- In 2002, he played a voice role in the successful animated television series, ‘Kim Possible’ as the computer-genius ‘Wade Load.’ Interestingly, he was a part of both the movies of the ‘Kim Possible’ franchise that were released during the syndication of the series including ‘Kim Possible: A Stitch in Time’ and ‘Kim Possible: So the Drama.’
- In 2006, he played a guest role on the Disney Channel Original Series, ‘The Suite Life of Zack & Cody’. He followed this with a guest role in ‘Desperate Housewives’ and as a guest host in the show ‘The Real.’
- In 2007, he appeared in the movie ‘Are We Done Yet?’ as Danny Pulu with rapper-comedian-actor Ice Cube.
- Since 2012, Tahj Mowry has been playing the role of Tucker Dobbs, best friend to Ben Wheeler in the family sitcom ‘Baby Daddy.’
- Not the one to be satisfied easily, he stretched his artistic boundaries further. In the late 2000s, he signed with a label and began to pursue a singing career to give wings to his passion for singing. He sang ‘Shine Your Light on Me’ for School's Out! Christmas, ‘Circle of Life’ for the Disney Channel Circle of Stars recording of ‘The Lion King’ which was included on the Platinum Edition DVD and was featured on a single called ‘Kick It Out’ with Boom Boom Satellites and Flo Rida.
- In April 2015, Mowry released his debut single called ‘Flirt.’ It was produced by Excel Beats. Following this, he released a six-song EP on August 4, 2015.
- ‘Smart Guy’ is Tahj Mowry’s most celebrated work till date. Premiering in 1997, the show ran for fifty-one episodes and three seasons and became the most successful sitcom in his early career. It had him play the role of TJ Henderson.
- Post the phenomenal success of ‘Smart Guy’, Mowry’s career was on a roll. His next big break came with the animated series ‘Kim Possible’ wherein he did a voice role as Wade Load. The series also had two film spin-offs, ‘Kim Posible: A Stitch in Time’ and ‘Kim Possible: So the Drama.’
- Since 2012, he has been featured on the hit Freeform comedy series ‘Baby Daddy.’ The family sitcom has him play the character of Tucker Dobbs, best friend to Ben Wheeler.
- Though Tahj Mowry hasn’t been the recipient of an award till date, he has been showered with numerous nominations. He was twice nominated for the Young Artist Awards in the category of Exceptional Performance by a Young Actor Under 10 for ‘Full House’ and Best Performance in a TV Comedy Series: Leading Young Performer for ‘Smart Guy.’
- He twice gained nomination in the category of Outstanding Youth Actor by Image Awards for ‘Smart Guy.’
- In 2013 and 2014, he was nominated by Teen Choice Awards in the category of Scene Stealer: Male for ‘Baby Daddy.’
- Tahj Mowry was once in a relationship with Erica Campo but the couple later broke up.
Tahj Mowry Movies
1. Baby Daddy (2012)
(Romance, Comedy, Family, Drama)
2. Are We Done Yet? (2007)
(Fantasy, Family, Comedy)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed