Shane McGowan is a member of the punk band ‘The Pogues’ and is quite popular in the United States and the United Kingdom. His musical genius is evident from his compositions which incorporate instruments like the tin whistle, electric guitar and the mandolin. Apart from his neglected teeth (or the lack of it), he is primarily known for his politically-tinged, Celtic punk music and the themes of his songs that are generally centered on Irish nationalism and/or history. His punk rock or folk punk music also deeply discusses the experiences of the Irish in London or the United States. Although he is celebrated for his lyrics and songwriting, he is often vilified for his chronic drinking habits that has over the course of his career, affected his musical proficiency. Even as a performing artist, he is now often unreliable, as he is known for failing to turn up at events or concerts. And to top it all, his dodgy dental hygiene is fodder for gossip columns: most articles on him are accompanied by a picture of his mouth full of broken or missing teeth. Despite his proclivity to drink, do drugs, and antagonize fellow drinkers in bars, his music still manages to captivate audiences.
- Shane Patrick Lysaght MacGowan was born in Pembury, Kent, England to Therese, a traditional Irish dancer and singer and Maurice MacGowan, a wages clerk at C&A. He has a sister, Siobhan MacGowan.From a very young age, he developed a deep love for literature, which was nurtured by his parents.He studied at Holmewood House School at Turnbridge Well. He then won a scholarship to the prestigious Westminster School in 1971, but was expelled from the institution for taking drugs.He had a major nervous breakdown when he was 17 and was admitted to a hospital for six months.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- After a string of temporary jobs at supermarkets and bars, MacGowan formed his own punk band, ‘The Nipple Erectors’ or ‘The Nips’ in 1976. It was his first musical group and during this period he worked on several songs for the band along with Shanne Bradley.In 1983, he started a punk band, ‘The Pogues’, with whom he recorded five studio albums, ‘Red Roses for Me’, ‘Rum Sodomy & the Lash’, ‘If I Should Fall From Grace With God’, ‘Peace and Love’ and ‘Hell’s Ditch’.He appeared in the film, ‘Eat the Rich’ in 1987, alongside Al Pillay and Nosher Powell, which did quite poorly at the theaters.The members of ‘The Pogues’ were annoyed by his alcoholism and finally kicked him out of the band, in 1991. After his departure from the group, Joe Strummer and Spider Stacy stepped in for vocals for two of the albums from the band— ‘Waiting for Herb’ and ‘Pogue Mahone’.In 1994, he formed ‘Shane MacGowan and the Popes’ and released the album, ‘The Snake’ the same year.In 1997, he released ‘The Crock of Gold’ and appeared as a guest on ‘Holloway Boulevard’, three years later. The same year, he appeared on ‘Perfect Day’, by Lou Reed.He got back with ‘The Pogues’ for a brief sell-out tour in 2001. They performed together as a group, making headlines in the ‘Guilfest’ and the ‘Azkena Rock Festival’.In 2003, he toured with his band, ‘Shane MacGowan & The Popes’ through UK, Ireland and Europe, which ended almost two years later.In 2005, he finally got back with ‘The Pogues’ for good and re-released the hit single, ‘Fairytale of New York’ for the ‘Justice for Kirsty Campaign’.In 2009, he starred in ‘Victoria and Shane Grow Their Own’, a reality show. The next year, this artist performed in Dublin with a backing band called ‘The Shane Gang’. Whenever he was not touring with ‘The Pogues’, he played with his new band; however, they have not released any songs as of yet.Major Works
- The single, ‘Fairytale of New York’, released in 1987, is a duet with Kristy MacColl, which peaked at the no. 2 position in the ‘UK Singles Chart’ and the no.1 position in the ‘Irish Singles Chart’, the year it was released. In was re-released in 2012 and reached one million in sales, after nearly two decades of its original release.Awards & Achievements
- He was featured at the 50th spot in the ‘NME Rock Heroes’ list, in 2006.Personal Life & Legacy
- He has been in a long-term relationship with, Victoria Mary Clarke.He is as famous for his binge drinking as he is for his songs. On several occasions he turned up late or drunk for interviews, stage performances, award shows, or public events.This artist is also the subject of a book released in 2000, titled, ‘Is Shane MacGowan Still Alive?’ by Tim Bradford.Trivia
- In 2001, Sinead O’ Connor had him arrested for the possession of drugs, in an attempt to help him get rid of his heroin addiction.This famous musician has finally indicated that he will fix his notoriously bad teeth to chase a Hollywood career.He has drunk himself off his bar stool every night yet defied all medical logic by continuing to stay alive. In a March 2013 interview with ‘The Sun’, he admitted that his greatest achievement is ‘staying alive’.
How To CiteArticle Title- Shane MacGowan BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/shane-macgowan-4126.phpLast Updated- October 17, 2017
People Also Viewed
Quotes By Shane MacGowan