Also Known As: Shailene Diann Woodley
Famous as: Actress, Activist
Age: 26 Years
Sun Sign: Scorpio
Height: 1.73 m
Born in: San Bernardino County, California, U.S.
father: Lonnie Woodley
mother: Lori (née Victor)
City, States, Provinces & Districts: California
Net worth: $10 million
Shailene Woodley is an American actress and activist. She became popular with her role as a teenager immersed in substance abuse in ‘The Descendants’. Her performance in the film was only the tip of the iceberg as several other performances later displayed her ability to portray demanding roles effortlessly. It has been a remarkable achievement for Shailene to secure a prominent place in the industry so early in her career. Beginning her career with commercials and television soaps, she has earned a solid position in Hollywood. She has won umpteen awards for her acting skills and hopes to win more accolades in future. The twenty five year old actress is a responsible citizen, along with being an environmentalist and activist. Her arrest at the Dakota Access Pipeline site in 2016 on account of trespassing caused a controversy. She received support from fans that affirmed her stance of protecting the environment. Since she takes life as it comes, all her belongings fit in a suitcase, as she claims this way she has less baggage to carry.
- Shailene was born to Lori Victor and Lonnie Woodley on 15th November, 1991 in San Bernardino County, California. Her mother Lori is a middle school counselor while her father, Lonnie is a school principal.She grew up with her younger brother, Tanner in Simi Valley, California. She attended regular school and at the same time was part of commercials and modelling from the age of four.When she was only five, she began taking her first acting lessons with Anthony Meindl. As she completed elementary education, she joined ‘Simi Valley High School’.Shailene had a difficult time during high school as she got into wrong company and began consuming alcohol. She later managed to control her alcohol consumption with the assistance of parents, since both were psychologists.Scoliosis took over her body at the age of fifteen for which she had to wear a plastic brace from her chest to hip to keep her spine aligned else her spine would curve sideways. Fortunately it was detected early and there weren’t any repercussions.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Television Streak
- At the age of eight, she debuted in her first television show, ‘Replacing Dad’. After a couple of years she appeared in smaller roles in television shows like ‘The District’ and ‘The Crossing’.Her performance was noted and in 2004 she landed herself a lead role in a television film titled ‘A Place Called Home’.With her character Kaitlin Cooper in ‘The O.C’ she became a recognized child artist, for which she was offered a titular television role ‘Felicity: An American Girl Adventure’.From 2005 to 2008, she repeatedly appeared in several shows in a guest role. Her roles in ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’, ‘My Name is Earl’, ‘CSI: NY’ and ‘Close to Home’ helped her better her skills as an actor and provided more exposure.In 2008, she was signed on for the part of Amy Juergens, the protagonist of ‘The Secret Life of the American Teenager’. The series had a positive impact on her career and spanned until 2013. In the series, her role as a pregnant teenager and her ordeals were brilliantly executed by Shailene.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:A Young Film Star
- ‘The Descendants’ was a turning point in her career. In 2011, she played the spoiled daughter of Matt King, enacted by George Clooney. She gathered vital experience on the sets and was applauded for her characterization of the role.This success put her on the front page of most magazines.Tthe ‘People’ magazine naming her one of 2012’s ‘Most Beautiful at Every Age’ and ‘Nylon Magazine’ alled her ‘The Future of Hollywood’.Her next role as Aimee Finecky, a nerd in a relationship with high school dapper senior, Miles Teller, in the movie ‘The Spectacular Now’ reiterated her talent and passion for acting. According to ‘Los Angeles Times’ and ‘The Guardian’, her performance was strong and mature.In 2012, she signed the film ‘White bird in a Blizzard’. The film received mixed reviews yet her performance in the movie was appreciated. Critics felt that her acting in the movie was natural.In 2012, she also played the role of Mary Jane Watson in ‘The Amazing Spiderman 2’. However, the four scenes she played in the film were removed from the movie as decided by the production that the inclusion of her character would cause a deviation from the plot.In 2014, her performance as Beatrice Prior in ‘The Divergent’ was claimed to have rescued the film by the ‘Orlando Weekly’ taking it to the top spot in its first week and making it blockbuster.A Phenomenal Actress
- One of her most iconic performances till date is her portrayal of Hazel Grace, a cancer patient in the film ‘The Fault in Our Stars’, an adaptation of John Green’s novel. The author himself stated that Shailene’s representation of the character was breathtaking.‘Chicago Sun-Times’ proposed that her performance be considered worthy of an Oscar nomination, considering her role the most memorable part of the movie.She once again starred as Beatrice Tris in the sequel of ‘The Divergent’ titled as ‘The Divergent Series: Insurgent’, followed by the third movie ‘Allegiant’ and she didn’t fail to dazzle the audience and critics for the third time.The year 2016 saw her starring opposite Joseph Gordon in the biographical thriller ‘Snowden’ in September. She played the intricate character of Lindsay.After a notable career in the film industry, Shailene has once again become a part of television. Nicole Kidman announced that Shailene would play a pivotal role in the HBO series ‘Big Little Liars’ as Jane Chapman. The show gets aired on 19th February, 2017.And on the big screen she is presently committed to working with Baltasar Kormakur for his upcoming film, currently titled as ‘Adrift’.Major Works
- Rolling Stone praised her in ‘The fault in Our Stars’ calling her “a sublime actress” with her repeated flawless performances making her “incapable of a false move on camera”. The movie earned more than 307 million dollars at the box officeHer performance in all the three ‘Divergent’ sequels was indicative of her capability to carry a movie afloat all alone. The sequel generated a hundred million dollars worldwide, with the third movie gathering 295.5 million dollars.Awards & Achievements
- She received her first nomination as an actress at the ‘Young Artist Award’ for ‘Best Leading Young Actress in a TV Movie’ for her 2004 television film ‘A Place Called Home’.She won her first award in ‘Special Jury Award for Acting’ category at the ‘Sundance Film Festival’ of 2013 for her role in ‘The Descendants’. She was also nominated for the same at ‘Independent Spirit Award’.In 2014, she was nominated and won an award for ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ at ‘The Hollywood Film Award’ in the category of ‘Breakout Performance – Actress’.Personal Life & Legacy
- In an interview on the ‘Jimmy Kimmel’ show, she stated that she has given her home to her grandmother, as she isn’t around to make much use of it. She stays over with her friends whenever she is in Los Angeles.She is an environmental activist and opposed the Dakota Access Pipeline installation and was also arrested for trespassing. However, she stood her ground, not pleading guilty and continued to revolt considering it an environmental hazard.She is also a member of ‘Our Revolution’, which is a political organization working towards creating awareness among voters to select progressive candidates as their leaders.Trivia
- Woodley uses clay to brush her teeth and washes her mouth for twenty minutes with sesame oil to keep her teeth fresh and white.
How To CiteArticle Title- Shailene Woodley BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/shailene-woodley-29853.phpLast Updated- February 09, 2017
People Also Viewed