Scout Willis Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Scout LaRue Willis
Born Country: United States
Born in: Sun Valley, Idaho
Famous as: Actress
Height: 1.7 m
U.S. State: Idaho
education: Brown University
Scout LaRue Willis is an American actress and feminist icon, best known for being the middle daughter of actor Bruce Willis and Demi Moore. Although she initially came in the spotlight because of her parents, she is now an accomplished woman and influencer in her own right. Not only has she worked in costume and wardrobe departments for several movies, but she has also acted in films like ‘Bandits’, ‘Breakfast of Champions’ and ‘The Scarlet Letter’. Scout is also an outspoken activist for women’s rights. Perhaps, one of her most remarkable achievements as a women’s rights activist was to walk topless on the streets of New York to protest against Instagram’s hypocritical ‘no-boob’ policy. Thanks to her involvement in the ‘Free the Nipple’ campaign, she has gained a substantial following on her new Instagram page. The photo-sharing app had deleted her old account over nudity. Part of her popularity can also be attributed to the images she posts with her celebrity parents, and that of her lavish lifestyle.
- As a child of celebrity parents, Scout Willis was always being followed by paparazzi, so fame came knocking quite early in her life. Her father Bruce Willis has starred in some of the most iconic movies of all time, including the ‘Die Hard’ series (1988 – 2013), ‘Pulp Fiction’ (1994) and ‘The Sixth Sense’ (1999). Her mother Demi Moore is famous for movies like ‘Ghost’ (1990), ‘A Few Good Men’ (1992), ‘Indecent Proposal’ (1993), etc. Scout Willis made her movie debut at the age of four in ‘The Scarlet Letter’ in 1995. She played the character of young Pearl in the romantic drama that starred her mother as the lead. She next portrayed a young girl in the comedy movie ‘Breakfast of Champions’ (1999), in which her father Bruce was playing the protagonist. Her parents only allowed her to appear in their movies because of her young age and the exploitative nature of Hollywood.
- Perhaps Scout’s most significant role was in the comedy-crime-drama ‘Bandits’ (2001), in which she was cast as young Monica Miller. The movie, which starred her father alongside industry heavyweights like Cate Blanchett and Billy Bob Thornton, earned two ‘Golden Globe’ nominations. Scout was also praised for her performance, but she was not seen in any other movie after that. The reason might have been her lack of interest in acting or her education requiring more attention.
- However, she has been active in the entertainment industry. She worked as a wardrobe intern for the movie ‘Streak’ (2008) before joining the crew of the movie ‘Moonrise Kingdom’ (2012) as a costume intern. She was also seen on TV, supporting her elder sister Rumer, who was a participant of the dance reality show ‘Dancing with the Stars’ in 2015. Rumer went on to win that season. Scout also appeared in the TV special ‘Tsunami Aid: A Concert of Hope’ in 2015.
- In recent years, Scout Willis has gained both notoriety and fame for her involvement in ‘Free the Nipple’ movement. The campaign aims to oppose the over-sexualization of breasts and allow women go topless in public if they wish to. In May 2014, Scout posted a few photographs on her Twitter page, in which she could be seen strolling topless on the streets of New York. The walk was her protest against Instagram, which had banned her account, citing ‘instances of abuse’. Instagram had deleted her account after she posted two pictures containing partial nudity. In one of them she was wearing a sheer top, while the second featured two of her closest friends in a topless state.
- In response to that, she walked topless and chronicled it on Twitter. In her caption, she asked, how come what is legal under New York state law is not allowed on Instagram. Surprisingly, the photo-sharing social media platform is filled with models and fashion icons, posting far more provocative pictures. Her protest made her even more popular on Instagram after she created another account on the app. Scout later explained that she was advocating a “woman's right to choose how she represents her body” through her unique protest. She wanted to empower women to know that how they dress or look should be based on their personal desire and not on the judgment meted out by the society. In 2014, Scout received a special thanks in the credits of the movie ‘Free the Nipple’.
- Scout LaRue Willis was born in Sun Valley, Idaho, USA, on July 20, 1991. Her father Bruce Willis and mother Demi Moore are famous film stars. Scout was named after a character in Harper Lee’s novel ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’. She has two sisters, Rumer Willis (born August 16, 1988) and Tallulah Belle Willis (born February 3, 1994). She also has two paternal half-sisters, Evelyn Penn Willis (May 5, 2014) and Mable Ray Willis (April 1, 2012). Scout first studied at the ‘Interlochen Arts Academy’ before joining ‘Wildwood School’. Later, she graduated from the ‘Brown University’. There is no information available on her current relationship status or dating life.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed