Sal Mineo Biography
Died At Age: 37
Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: Salvatore Mineo Jr.
Born in: The Bronx, New York
Famous as: Actor
father: Salvatore Mineo Sr.
siblings: Michael (brother), Sarina (sister), Victor (brother)
Partner: Bobby Sherman, Courtney Burr, Jill Haworth
Cause of Death: Assassination
U.S. State: New Yorkers
education: Quintano's School for Young Professionals
Sal Mineo, born as Salvatore Mineo, Jr., was an American actor, best known for his performance as Dov Landau in the flick ‘Exodus’ and as John "Plato" Crawford in the movie ‘Rebel Without a Cause’. He was also known for appearing in many other films including 'Crime in the Streets', 'A Private's Affair', 'The Young Don't Cry', 'The Greatest Story Ever Told' and '80 Steps to Jonah'. During his career, the actor also made guest appearances on tons of TV shows such as 'Big Town', 'The Alcoa Hour', 'Look Up and Live', 'The Ed Sullivan Show', 'Pursuit', 'Dr. Kildare', 'The Patty Duke Show', 'Run for Your Life', 'The Name of the Game' and 'Police Story', to name a few. Talking about Mineo’s awards and accolades, he won the ‘Golden Globe Award’ for the ‘Best Supporting Actor - Motion Picture’ for ‘Exodus.’ His performance in the flick also fetched him an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor. On a personal note, Mineo was bisexual and had relationships with many male artistes. Unfortunately, the talented actor’s life ended in a tragic way. In 1976, he was stabbed to death by a pizza deliveryman.
- Sal Mineo made his first stage appearance in the 1951 play ‘The Rose Tattoo’. He then appeared on the quiz show ‘Jukebox Jury’. In 1955, he made his film debut through the flick ‘Six Bridges to Cross’. The same year, he had his breakthrough role as John "Plato" Crawford in the movie ‘Rebel Without a Cause’
- Then from 1956 to 1959, the actor did numerous big screen projects as well as TV shows including ‘Crime in the Streets’, ‘Giant’, ‘Dino’, ‘The Young Don't Cry’, ‘A Private's Affair’, ‘The Gene Krupa Story’, ‘Big Town’, ‘Look Up and Live’, ‘Lux Video Theatre’, ‘The Ed Sullivan Show’, ‘Kraft Suspense Theatre’, ‘The DuPont Show of the Month’ and ‘The Ann Sothern Show’.
- After this, Mineo was cast as Dov Landau in the film ‘Exodus’ in 1960. Two years later, he did the films ‘Escape from Zahrain’ and ‘The Longest Day’. Then from 1963 to 1966, he appeared in the movies ‘Cheyenne Autumn’ and ‘The Greatest Story Ever Told’ and in the TV shows ‘The Greatest Show on Earth’, ‘The Patty Duke Show’ and ‘Combat’. Soon after this, the American actor played George Blaylock in the TV flick ‘Stranger on the Run’. He next did the movie ‘80 Steps to Jonah’.
- In the year 1970, Mineo was cast as Angel de Angelo in the television film ‘The Challengers’. The following year, he had roles in the programs ‘My Three Sons’, ‘The Immortal’ and ‘Dan August’. Then from 1973 to 1976, he made several TV appearances on shows including ‘Harry O’, ‘Griff’, ‘Tenafly’, ‘Columbo’, ‘Hawaii Five-O’, ‘Police Story’, ‘Ellery Queen’ and ‘Joe Forrester’. At the time of his untimely death, he was a part of the cast of the play ‘P.S. Your Cat Is Dead.’
- Sal Mineo was born as Salvatore Mineo, Jr. on January 10, 1939 in the Bronx, New York, USA, to Josephine and Salvatore Mineo, Sr. He was the brother of actress Sarina Mineo and actors Michael and Victor Mineo. He attended Quintano's School for Young Professionals.
- Talking about the actor’s love life, he and Jill Haworth shared an on-and-off relationship for several years and were even engaged at one point. Unfortunately, after Haworth came to know that Mineo had a relationship with actor Bobby Sherman as well, she separated from Mineo. In a 1972 interview, Mineo disclosed that he was bisexual. He had a long-term relationship with Courtney Burr III and was living with him at the time of his death.
- On February 12, 1976, Sal Mineo was murdered by a pizza deliveryman named Lionel Ray Williams. The actor was returning home after a rehearsal when Lionel attacked and killed him. The motive behind the attack was robbery. The killer was later sentenced to 57 years in prison. Mineo was buried in the Gate of Heaven Cemetery in New York.
Sal Mineo Movies
1. Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
2. The Longest Day (1962)
(Drama, War, Action, History)
3. Giant (1956)
4. Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956)
(Sport, Drama, Biography)
5. Rock, Pretty Baby (1956)
6. Six Bridges to Cross (1955)
(Drama, Crime, Thriller, Film-Noir)
7. Who Killed Teddy Bear (1965)
(Drama, Mystery, Crime, Thriller)
8. Cheyenne Autumn (1964)
(Drama, Western, History)
|1961||Best Supporting Actor||Exodus (1960)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed