Olivia Culpo Biography
Sun Sign: Taurus
Also Known As: Olivia Frances Culpo
Born in: Cranston, Rhode Island
Famous as: Model
father: Peter Culpo
mother: Susan Culpo
siblings: Aurora Culpo, Gus Culpo, Peter Culpo, Sophie Culpo
U.S. State: Rhode Island
Olivia Culpo is an American model, actor, and former beauty pageant title-holder. She was crowned 'Miss Universe' in 2012, making her the first woman from the US to win the title since Brook Lee who won it in 1997. The former 'College of General Studies' sophomore is a trained cello player and has now successfully ventured into a restaurant business. Along with modeling, Olivia collaborated with her father to start a dine-out place in her hometown. Her entrepreneurial ventures include a clothing line, too. Olivia has also been part of a few acting and music video projects. She has a successful career as a social-media influencer, too, as her 'Instagram' page boasts of over four million followers. Her jaw-dropping pictures posted on the platform have helped her achieve a big fan base. However, her journey in the modeling arena has not been a cakewalk. Olivia was dragged into a controversy soon after she won the prestigious international pageant. Her victory was questioned and people claimed it was pre-decided by Donald Trump. She was also sued for an "inappropriate" photo shoot in front of the Taj Mahal. Olivia's past relationships, too, have been heavily publicized.
- Olivia was born Olivia Frances Culpo, on May 8, 1992, in Cranston, Rhode Island, and has been raised in the Edgewood neighborhood of Cranston. Her father, Peter Culpo, is a restaurateur and a co-owner of several Boston businesses, including the 'Parish Café' and 'The Lower Depths Tap Room.' Olivia is of Italian ethnicity and also has Irish roots from her mother Susan Culpo's side. She has two older siblings named Pete and Aurora and two younger siblings named Gus and Sophie.
- Olivia began learning to play the cello in second grade. Her interest in music was influenced by her parents, who were also musicians. Olivia has performed with the 'Rhode Island Philharmonic Youth Orchestra,’ the 'Rhode Island Philharmonic Chamber Ensemble,' the 'Bay View Orchestra,' the 'Rhode Island All-State Orchestra,' and the 'Boston Accompaniett.' For two summers, she attended the 'Brevard Music Center,' in Brevard, North Carolina.
- Olivia attended the 'St. Mary Academy',' Bay View, and later went to 'Boston University.'
- Olivia's modeling career began with her signing a contract with the Boston-based modeling agency 'Maggie, Inc.' in 2010. She won the 2012 'Miss Rhode Island USA' competition, the first beauty pageant she had participated in. Following this, she won the 'Miss USA' title on June 3, 2012, and qualified to represent the US at the 'Miss Universe' pageant.
- On July 6, 2012, Allan Fung, the Cranston mayor, honored Olivia with a “key” to the city in a homecoming celebration in honor of her 'Miss USA' pageant win. She was crowned 'Miss Universe 2012’ by the previous year's title-holder, Leila Lopes, from Angola, on December 19, 2012, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Olivia is the eighth 'Miss USA' and the first Rhode Islander to win the title.
- In January 2013, Olivia visited Indonesia. As part of her tour, Olivia traveled to Yogyakarta, Surabaya, Bali, and Jakarta. She hosted a conference to address young Indonesians on the prevention of HIV. The conference was organized by the 'United Nations Population Fund.' She was accompanied on stage by Whulandary Herman, the ‘Puteri Indonesia 2013.’ .
- On August 25, 2013, Cranston's city council renamed a section of Albert Avenue (where Olivia had grown up) in her honor.
- Culpo is a spokesperson for efforts against breast and ovarian cancer and works in collaboration with organizations such as the 'Susan G. Komen for the Cure,' the largest breast cancer organization in the US.
- The same year, in September, Olivia walked the runway for designer Sherri Hill at the 'Trump Tower' in New York City. Her next destination was India, where she did a photo shoot at the Taj Mahal. The shoot dragged her into a major controversy.
- Olivia made her film debut with the 2014 comedy 'The Other Woman,' in which she had a cameo. Additionally, she was featured in the music videos 'Jealous' by Nick Jonas and 'Amor' by Emin Agalarov.
- Olivia Next appeared as ‘Gretchen,’ the girlfriend of ‘Johnny Faust,’ played by Andy Biersack, in the 2017 supernatural musical thriller film 'American Satan.'
- In 2018, Olivia made a guest appearance on the reality show 'Hell's Kitchen' and appeared in the 'E!' documentary series 'Model Squad.' She appeared as ‘Hope’ in the comedy 'I Feel Pretty' and as ‘Christina’ (wife of ‘Jacob,’ played by Frank Grillo) in the action–thriller 'Reprisal.' Olivia will be seen as ‘Kate’ in 'Tired Lungs,' which is still in the pre-production stage.
- Olivia was featured in the 2018 and 2019 editions of the 'Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.' The ‘Swimsuit Issue’ is published annually by 'Sports Illustrated.' She has been featured in campaigns for brands such as 'L'Oréal' and 'Kipling.'
- Olivia ventured into entrepreneurship in 2017, when she teamed up with her father to start 'Back 40,' a country-style, all-American cuisine restaurant in her home state of Rhode Island. The name 'Back 40' represents the restaurant's location, an estate behind a farm in North Kingstown, south of Providence and near Cranston. Olivia and her father are silent financiers of 'Back 40,' while the venture is primarily run by her cousin Joshua Culpo and a partner named Justin Dalton-Ameen.
- In 2018, Olivia unveiled her clothing line, which she had designed in collaboration with 'Marled by Reunited Clothing.' The exclusive range offers jumpsuits, dresses, dressed-up sweats, and statement-making tracksuit sets, which reflect Olivia's personal style statement. The collection is available on 'revolve.com.'
- Soon after being crowned 'Miss Universe,' Olivia became part of a controversy. Her victory was questioned and many claimed it was pre-decided by the then-pageant owner, Donald Trump. Because of this controversy, Olivia withdrew from judging the 2015 'Miss USA' pageant.
- In 2013, the 'Archaeological Survey of India' (ASI) filed a complaint against Olivia and the 'Miss Universe' officials for violating India's ‘Heritage Act.’ Olivia had reportedly done a promotional photo shoot in front of the Taj Mahal. India's ‘Supreme Court’ strictly bans any commercial or advertising activity on Taj's premises. The 'Miss Universe' committee, on behalf of Olivia, later apologized to the body and said that the act was not intentional.
- The popular 'Instagram' account 'Diet Prada' trolled Olivia for promoting a dress under her fashion line. The dress was apparently a rip-off of an outfit from another brand. Interestingly, Olivia had worn the same outfit at an event in Ibiza in 2018.
- Olivia had dated musician Nick Jonas from 2013 to 2015. She is also rumored to have dated footballer Tim Tebow. Olivia was also in a relationship with 11-time 'Olympic' medalist Ryan Lochte.
- Olivia's most publicized affair has been with footballer Danny Amendola. They began dating in 2016 and broke up in 2019. Following the break-up, Amendola made an 'Instagram' post, slamming Olivia’s "fishbowl lifestyle" and her attention-seeking activities just to enter Hollywood.
- The dress that Olivia wore to enter the 'Miss Rhode Island' pageant was a $20 rental gown. The dress was too short and had a hole at the back.
- Despite Trump’s role in her pageant win, Olivia favors Ronald Reagan because of his fiscal policies.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed