Matte Babel Biography
Matte Babel is a Canadian TV host and music reporter. A 'Wilfrid Laurier University' graduate, he had a brief stint as a football player in Europe and then began his TV career in Canada. Matte worked as a show host and correspondent with several premier channels and had the opportunity to interview many celebrities on the red carpet. He continued his TV career in New York and simultaneously started to manage many celebrities, too. Matte is currently dating Canadian actor, model, entrepreneur, and author Shay Mitchell, with whom he is expecting a baby. They had been linked up for years, but they had kept the relationship under wraps until Shay announced her pregnancy.
- Matte was born Matt Alexandros Babel, on October 13, 1980, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He graduated high school from ‘Milton District.’
- Matte holds a dual-honors degree in sociology and communications, along with minors in business and geography, from 'Wilfrid Laurier University' (1999–2003).
- Matte played varsity basketball and football. He had a brief football career in Austria when he was in this third year of university. He was a member of the 'Wilfrid Golden Hawks' football team.
- Following his graduation, Matte worked with Canadian cable specialty channel 'MuchMusic,' as the host of the 'Gemini'-nominated live TV show 'Much On Demand,' for 4 years and interviewed celebrities such as Tom Cruise, Gerard Bulter, Mariah Carey, 50 Cent, Pink, Justin Timberlake, Usher, Jay-Z, Matthew McConaughey, J.J Abrams, and Mark Wahlberg.
- While at 'MuchMusic,' Matte had also hosted several special programs, such as '[email protected],' 'Exposed,' 'Live Earth,' 'My Date With…,' and 'The MuchMusic Video Awards.'
- By 2009, Matte had become a Canadian pop-culture icon. He then joined the Canadian 24-hour news channel 'CP24' to launch a live 3-hour morning show named 'CP24 Breakfast.' He later worked as a reporter for the channel.
- Matte then moved to New York, where he co-hosted a 30-minute national music news program named 'FuseNews,' which was broadcast daily, and simultaneously served as a correspondent for 'Entertainment Tonight Canada' (ETC). He also contributed to 'Entertainment Tonight' (ET), 'The Insider,' and 'TVOne.' He still works as an ‘ETC’ correspondent.
- Matte has hosted the national primetime competition show 'Canada Sings' and has been an expert panelist on conferences such as the 'Canadian Music Week,' the 'North by Northeast Music Festival Conference (NXNE),' and 'The Urban Music Association of Canada' (UMAC).
- Matte also serves some recording artists as their manager. He has been working as a brand executive for the celebrity management company 'Dreaw Crew' since February 2018.
- He was nominated as one of the top five hottest TV personalities at the 'Gemini Awards.' The magazine 'Hello!’ once listed him as one of the top 10 most-eligible bachelors in Canada, while the newspaper 'Toronto Star' placed him on the list of 'Top 30 Most Eligible Bachelors in Toronto.'
- Matte and Shay’s relationship was first revealed in 2017. While none of the two had ever confirmed their relationship, sources revealed that they had been seeing each other for a few months by then. As Shay was quite active on social media, she would often flaunt her selfies with Matte on 'Snapchat.'
- Back in January 2019, Shay told the media about the miscarriage she had had in 2018, which fueled her link-up rumors with Matte. Though she did not comment about the relationship, Shay shared an 'Instagram' story saying she had lost “the child of my hopes and dreams’’ (in 2018).
- On Friday, June 28, 2019, Shay announced her pregnancy with Matte’s first child, a baby girl, and shared footage of her and Matte on her 'YouTube' channel.
- In September 2019, Shay and Matte appeared together in the third episode of her 'YouTube' series and spoke about her pregnancy. The two had a difference of opinion, as Matte disagreed on using an epidural during labor. Matt also stated that he was against an epidural because he was "afraid of drugs." The statement, however, brought him immense backlash, since people claimed that Matte has no right to decide what was right for a pregnant woman.
- Matte has been involved in a few charity causes, too. He is a member of the 'National Speakers Bureau' and has delivered speeches on issues related to youth, generation gaps, education, new media, entertainment, and pop culture.
- He is an avid supporter of anti-smoking campaigns. He had joined Richard Branson to support the 'Flick-Off Campaign.' The campaign was geared toward encouraging the youth to reduce the production of greenhouse gases.
- Growing up, Matte aspired to be a lawyer and even appeared for his ‘LSATs.’ A career in the TV industry had never even crossed his mind.
- Shay initially dated Ryan Silverstein, singer Drake’s assistant, until they broke up in 2014. Incidentally, Matte and Ryan are friends.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed