Mary Marquardt Biography
Mary Marquardt is a former illustrator and chef. She is best known for her marriage with American actor Harrison Ford. She was married to Ford from 1964 until their divorce in 1979. Marquardt is often credited with supporting Harrison Ford through thick and thin during the initial stage of his career. Ford started his acting career in 1964, soon after tying the knot with Mary Marquardt. Also, he landed his breakthrough role of Han Solo in George Lucas-directed epic space-opera film ‘Star Wars’ when he was still married to Marquardt. Marquardt and Ford had two sons, namely Benjamin Ford and Willard Ford. Their oldest son Benjamin decided to follow in his mother's footsteps to become a chef. Mary Marquardt currently lives in the United States of America where she continues to maintain a low profile.
- Mary Marquardt was born in 1945 in the United States of America. After graduating from high school, she went to the prestigious liberal arts college in Ripon, Wisconsin, ‘Ripon College.’ Marquardt met Harrison Ford while studying in college. They then started dating and eventually fell in love with each other. Though Marquardt was one of the most popular cheerleaders during her college days, she chose not to pursue a career in the field of entertainment after discovering her love and passion for cooking.
- After completing her education, she started her career as a cook. Eventually, she went on to become a chef in the United States.
- Mary Marquardt got married to Harrison Ford on June 18, 1964. She played a critical role in supporting Ford during the initial stage of his career. When he was struggling to find opportunities to showcase his acting skills, Marquardt encouraged him to travel to Los Angeles to apply a job as a voice-over artist in one of the radio stations. Though he did not land the job, he did end up signing a $150-a-week contract with ‘Columbia Pictures’ in California. The contract provided Harrison Ford with a platform which he used effectively to launch his acting career in Hollywood.
- Marquardt and Ford were blessed with their first child, a son named Benjamin Ford in 1966. In 1969, the couple was blessed with their second child Willard Ford. Harrison Ford landed his breakthrough role in 1977 when he was cast to play Han Solo in ‘Star Wars.’ Around the same time, he had an extra marital relationship with his co-star Carrie Fisher who played Princess Leia in ‘Star Wars.’ Subsequently, Marquardt’s relationship with Harrison Ford dwindled and they both decided to go their separate ways. Mary Marquardt chose to maintain a low profile after her divorce with Ford which was finalized in 1979.
- Mary Marquardt remained close with her sons after her divorce. Her older son Benjamin Ford decided to follow in her footsteps to become a chef, while her youngest son Willard Ford went on to become a successful clothier. In fact, Marquardt and Benjamin Ford went on to work together at a restaurant owned by Harrison Ford in Culver City, California. Benjamin, who currently works as a chef-restaurateur in the United States, often features his mother’s pictures on his official Instagram page. He has two children, namely Ethan and Waylan. While Ethan was born from his first marriage with Elizabeth Winkler, Waylan was born from his second marriage with Emily. Benjamin’s brother Willard Ford has two children named Guiliana and Eliel.
- Marquardt was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in the early 2000s. She continues to fight her illness and often credits her oldest son Benjamin Ford for taking good care of her. She does not cook anymore because of her deteriorating health. However, she takes immense pleasure in witnessing her son carrying forward her legacy. Marquardt is not active on social media platforms, such as Instagram and Twitter.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed