Marshmello is the pseudonym of an American dance music producer and DJ whose real identity is a subject of speculation. He wears a bucket shaped Marshmallow helmet on his head to hide his face. He first burst into the electronic music scene in 2015. In 2017, sufficient indications appeared on social media that identify him as American DJ Chris Comstock but officially, Marshmello has neither confirmed nor denied that he his Comstock. In November 2017, Forbes magazine published an article in which they claimed Chris Comstock to be Marshmello based on an old interview with another DJ, royalty earnings records and the common manager for Marshmello and Chris Comstock but there was no official confirmation of the same from the management and the lawyer of Marshmello. Despite speculation about his identity, Marshmello remains one of the most popular as well as acclaimed DJs in the world today. According to some, his anonymous identity adds an element of mystery to his persona that helps him gain popularity. He has been prolific and has built an extensive body of work in a short period of time.
- Nothing is known about childhood and early life of Marshmello. Even if he is really Chris Comstock, as many people and media houses claim, nothing is known about Chris Comstock except that he hails from Newtown Square, Pennsylvania and moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in music.
- From bursting into the electronic dance music scene in 2015 till date, Marshmello has one studio album, twenty singles, eighteen remixes, eighteen music videos and three other charted songs to his credit.
- He started out in 2015 by releasing remixes of popular music tracks on his Soundcloud page which became instant hits and gave him recognition with music fans and DJs alike.
- He released a remix of the song ‘Outside’, originally composed by Scottish DJ Calvin Harris and featuring the singer Ellie Goulding, in 2015. The song ‘I want to know you now’, originally composed by the Russian-German DJ Zedd featuring the singer Selena Gomez, was also remixed and released by him in 2015.
- He followed up by remixing another of Zedd’s songs, this time the song ‘Beautiful now’, in 2015. He remixed the singer Ariana Grande’s song ‘One Last Time’ also in 2015.
- He remixed and released the Swedish DJ Avicii’s song ‘Waiting for Love’. The American EDM duo Jack U’s song ‘Where are U now’ featuring the singer Justin Bieber was also remixed and released by him in 2015.
- British singer and songwriter Adele’s song ‘Hello’ was remixed and released by him in 2015. British DJ Duke Dumont’s song ‘Need U (100%)’, featuring British singer AME was also remixed and released by him in 2015.
- In 2016 he remixed and released the song ‘Flash Funk’ from the League of Legends video game album ‘Warsongs’. He remixed and released Albanian singer Era Istrefi’s song ‘BonBon’ in 2016.
- He remixed and released the song ‘Alarm’ by English singer and song writer Anne-Marie Rose Nicholson in 2016. Norwegian DJ Allen Olav Walker’s song ‘Sing Me to Sleep’ was remixed and released by him in 2016.
- The song ‘No Money’ of the Swedish DJ duo Galantis was remixed and released by him in 2016. Dutch DJ Martin Garrix’s song ‘Oops’was remixed and released by him in 2016. In the same year he remixed and released French DJ Snake’s song ‘Let me Love You’ featuring Canadian singer Justin Bieber.
- In 2017, he remixed and released the song ‘Make me cry’ by American singer and actress Noah Lindsey Cyrus. He also remixed and released the song ‘Mask Off’ by American rapper and singer Future.
- On 3rd of March 2015, he posted his first original song ‘WaVeZ’ on his SoundCloud page. Shortly afterwards he started receiving support from other DJs like DJ Skillrex who reposted his song ‘FinD Me’ on his Soundcloud page.
- In 2015, he released the single ‘Keep it Mello’, featuring OmarLinX which was certified Gold by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America). The single was also included in his 2016 album ‘Joytime’.
- In 2016, he released the single ‘Colour’. His single ‘Alone’, released in 2016, was certified Platinum by RIAA and Music Canada (MC). He released the single ‘Magic’ collaborating with American DJ Jauz in 2016.
- In the 2016 album ‘Identity’, of the American hip-hop group Far East Movement, he contributed a single titled ‘Freal Luv’. He collaborated with American singer Wrable in 2016 to release a single called ‘Ritual’.
- In January 2016 he released his first and till date his only album titled ‘Joytime’. The album is a compilation of ten of his previously released singles and went to number one position on iTunes on the first day of its release.
- He collaborated with fellow American DJ Ookay and singer Noah Cyrus on the 2017 single ‘Chasing Colours’. He collaborated with fellow American DJ Slushii, on the 2017 single ‘Twinbow’.
- He started his own record label called the ‘Joytime Collective’ in 2016 and signed on DJ Slushii as the first artist for the label in 2017. He released the singles ‘Moving On’ and ‘Love U’ in 2017 through his record label.
- In 2017 he released the single ‘Silence’ featuring American singer and songwriter Khalid which went Platinum in multiple countries including USA, Canada, UK, Germany, Sweden, Australia, and Belgium. His 2017 single ‘Wolves’, in collaboration with American singer songwriter Selena Gomez, also went Platinum in these countries. He also released the single ‘You & Me’ on Apple Music in 2017.
- His 2018 single with British singer Anne-Marie ‘Friends’ went platinum in multiple countries and the single ‘Everyday’ with American rapper Logic went gold in Canada. He released a hitherto unreleased single called ‘Spotlight’ which was in collaboration with deceased American rapper Lil Peep after a request from Lil Peep’s mother.
- His single ‘Silence’ with American singer Khalid went platinum in multiple countries in 2017 and so did his single ‘Wolves’ with American singer Selena Gomez. His single ‘Friends’ with British singer Anne-Marie went platinum in multiple countries in 2018.
- Marshmello is said to be one of the fastest growing DJs in the world and his royalty earnings in 2017 alone were $ 21 million as reported by the Forbes magazine. He won DJ Mag’s ‘Top 100 DJs award for Highest New Entry’ in 2016.
- He won the ‘Best use of Vocal’ awards at the ‘Remix awards’ in 2017 for his remix of the song ‘Alarm’ by British singer Anne-Marie.
- Nothing is publicly known about his personal life as his identity itself is matter of speculation even though many leading media houses and journalists have positively affirmed him to be Chris Comstock, also known as DJ ‘Dotcom.’ Nothing is known about the personal life of Chris Comstock.
- He never talks to journalists and in a video interview in June 2017, gave two thumbs down to the reporter’s question whether he would ever reveal his identity? Two months later he tweeted that he does not take off his helmet because he does not want or need fame and believes in creating something positive for people to connect with.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed