Lucas Cruikshank Bio
Lucas Cruikshank is an American YouTube personality who has played a vital role in popularizing the video sharing platform. At the age of 13, he created and played the character of Fred Figglehorn, a 6 year old boy with anger management issues, and released the videos on YouTube. These videos got quick popularity which encouraged him to start a video series on an exclusive Fred channel in 2008. This channel was the first YouTube channel to get over 1 million subscribers. Banking on the huge popularity of Fred, Nickelodeon, a satellite television network currently owned by Viacom, aired spin-off shows of Fred between 2010 and 2012. At present, the Fred channel is out of new production but the old videos still enjoy a considerable number of views. Lucas Cruikshank currently runs his own YouTube channel by the name “Lucas” and apart from creating and posting YouTube videos he is also exploring a career in mainstream acting and dancing.
- The first video of Fred, created and acted by Lucas, was uploaded on YouTube in the later part of 2005. However, it was not the first character he tried. Lucas formed a production company by the name JKL Productions along with his twin cousins, Jon and Katie Smet, earlier the same year and he had been trying out different characters ever since. However, none of the videos clicked until the first video of Fred, called “Fred on Halloween” was uploaded by JKL productions in 2005. The character of 6 year old Fred with a dysfunctional home life got quick popularity and made Lucas a celebrity instantly. By 2008, Fred had become such a popular show that Lucas came up with the exclusive Fred channel in the same year. In just one year, JKL Productions earned a total of US$14,000 from the videos and merchandising of Fred.Recommended Lists:
- However, soon after, Lucas Cruikshank officially declared the news of leaving JKL productions and even deleted his individual videos from the channel. In January 2009, he launched his own channel by the name “lucas”. In February, 2009, he made a guest appearance on the Nickelodeon’s show ‘iCarly’ in “iMeet Fred” as both Fred and himself. In the same year he appeared in the episode “Come Fail Away” of the American musical comedy television series Hannah Montana (2006-2011).
- Fred’s character was taken to the next level by Lucas Cruikshank as he joined hands with Nickelodeon. In 2009, Cruikshank shot “Fred: The Movie”, but instead of releasing on YouTube, this time it aired on Nickelodeon in the month of September 2010. The television network created a franchisee around the character and also invested in producing its sequels. The second Fred movie “Fred 2: Night of the Living Fred” and the third “Fred: The Show” were aired in 2011 and 2012 respectively. The last sequel marked the end of the main Fred series.
- Right after the end of the Fred series, almost immediately, Lucas Cruikshank secured the role of the title character in another show, ‘Marvin Marvin’, on the same network. However, this show was not a success and failed to generate good ratings leading to the cancellation of the show after the first season. After this, Lucas Cruikshank started posting videos regularly on his own YouTube channel “lucas” which now enjoys over 2.5 million subscribers. He releases new videos on his channel every Sunday and Wednesday and also appears in his brother, Jacob’s videos. Apart from his YouTube career, he now helps television channels with new show ideas and is also auditioning for TV and movie roles.
- Lucas Cruikshank was born on 29 August 1993, to Molly Jeanne and Dave Alan Cruikshank. He has Scottish, German and Irish ancestry. Lucas currently lives in his home town Columbus, Nebraska with his family that includes his two brothers, Jacob and Ethan, and five sisters. He attended the Lakeview High School is Nebraska. Jacob loves dancing and has been taking dancing classes since he was in fourth grade. Currently he takes tap, jazz and hip-hop classes.
- In 2013, Lucas Cruikshank revealed in a video that he is gay and his family already knows about it. He is currently in a relationship with Matthew Fawcus, who was introduced to him by fellow YouTuber and blogger, Kingsley.
Lucas Cruikshank Fans Also Viewed