Lewis Capaldi Biography
Lewis Capaldi is a singer-songwriter from Scotland, best known for his single ‘Someone You Loved.’ Born in Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland, he was the youngest of the four children of his parents. He discovered his love for music at the age of 4, when he performed at a holiday camp. His early love for music and performing live made him determined to be a professional musician by the time he was 12. A happy child with supportive parents, Capaldi went through his school without focusing much on academics. He began writing original tracks and playing the guitar by the time he was 11. He grabbed every opportunity that came his way to perform at pubs and venues in and around Bathgate. He built his career by working on original tracks, recording himself, and releasing his songs on ‘Youtube.’ He also played at live concerts while being active on social media. The success of his single ‘Bruises’ led to mainstream recognition, and he was soon signed by ‘Virgin EMI Records’ and ‘Capitol Records.’ After releasing two EPs, he announced his debut album, ‘Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent,’ which was released on May 17, 2019. He is managed by Ryan Walter.
- Lewis Capaldi was born Lewis Marc Capaldi, on October 7, 1996, in Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland. He is the youngest of the four children of his parents. He is of Scottish–Italian ancestry.
- Growing up in Bathgate, located between Glasgow and Edinburgh, he discovered his love for music at the early age of 4. While on a family trip to a holiday camp, he went up on stage where a band was playing and performed a few ‘Queen’ songs. He knew that this was something he always wanted to do.
- With supportive parents, he steadily worked at preparing for a future in music. By the time he was 11, he was playing the guitar, writing original songs, and playing at various venues around Bathgate, Glasgow, and Edinburgh.
- In those early years, he took whatever opportunity he got, even if that meant playing only covers of songs by other bands.
- Capaldi enjoyed school, but less as a scholar and more as the one who would frequently entertain his classmates with his pranks and antics. He preferred enjoying himself and playing music than devoting time to academics.
- He continued to create and play original compositions, recording himself in his bedroom, and uploading his creations on ‘YouTube.’ Soon, he had a loyal fan base.
- His music career began when he released the track ‘Bruises’ on March 31, 2017. He became the fastest unsigned artist to reach a quarter million plays on ‘Spotify,’ and the track eventually had more than 28 million plays on the platform.
- Capaldi was signed by ‘Virgin EMI Records’ and ‘Capitol Records’ soon after the success of ‘Bruises.’
- Capaldi released his debut EP, ‘Bloom,’ on October 20, 2017, shortly before the release of the single ‘Bruises.’ He worked on the EP with ‘Grammy Award’-winning producer Malay.
- Following the success of ‘Bruises’ and the first EP, he was invited to support many well-known bands and musicians, such as Rag’n’Bone Man in November 2017, Milky Chance in January 2018, Niall Horan in March 2018, and Sam Smith in May 2018.
- His individual career continued with his fourth headline tour in the UK and Europe, where he played in front of huge crowds. Throughout the summer of 2018, he also played at many famous festivals, such as ‘Lollapolooza,’ the ‘Bonnaroo,’ ‘Firefly,’ ‘Mountain Jam,’ the ‘Osheaga,’ the ‘Reading & Leeds Festival,’ ‘Rize,’ and ‘TRNSMT.’
- On July 13, 2018, ‘BBC Radio 1’ selected him as one of the two acts on ‘Brit List.’ Following this, in August 2018, he was invited to open for the Irish indie rock band ‘Kodaline’ at a Belfast concert.
- Capaldi released his second EP, ‘Breach,’ on November 8, 2018. It contained a few previously released singles such as ‘Tough’ and ‘Grace’ and a few new songs such as the hit ‘Someone You Loved.’
- A few days later, on November 14, 2018, Capaldi performed a cover of Lady Gaga’s ‘Shallow’ from her popular movie ‘A Star Is Born,’ live on the ‘BBC Radio 1’ segment ‘Live Lounge.’
- In 2019, he is set to play at multiple locations across the world, including a number of summer festivals. Tickets for his 2019 shows have been sold out much before the performance dates.
- Capaldi also supported the band ‘Bastille’ on their ‘Still Avoiding Tomorrow’ tour in 2019.
- His debut album, announced on February 18, 2019, released on May 17, 2019. It is titled ‘Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent.’ Capaldi spent a week in the recording studios, a process he finds challenging, and put together tracks he had been working on in the previous year.
- He has also announced a UK arena tour that is set to commence in March 2020. This tour will feature a unique initiative called ‘LIVELIVE,’ designed to help fans who wish to attend his shows but usually cannot because they suffer from anxiety, panic, or other emotional difficulties.
- The single ‘Bruises’ is significant for bringing him under mainstream spotlight. It was released as a digital download on May 17, 2017, via ‘Virgin Records,’ as part of his debut EP, ‘Bloom.’ It broke records on ‘Spotify’ for the number of plays and got him signed by record companies.
- The singer’s ‘Someone You Loved’ from his second EP, ‘Breach,’ was released on November 8, 2018, and became his first number one on the ‘UK Singles Chart.’ It stayed on top of the chart for a whopping 7 weeks.
- Peter Capaldi, a well-known actor and a distant relative of his, features in the song’s video, which depicts an emotional story of two families connected by organ donation. It has earned over 21 million views on ‘Youtube’ and has increased his social-media following to over a million.
- The message in the video was part of Capaldi’s effort to promote the organ donation charity ‘Live Life Give Life.’
- In 2017, Capaldi won the ‘Best Acoustic Act’ award at the ‘Scottish Alternative Music Awards’ and the ‘Best Breakthrough Artist Award’ at the ‘Scottish Music Awards.’ The same year, he was also named as one of ‘Vevo dscvr’ ‘Artists to Watch’ in 2018
- In 2018, he won the ‘Breakthrough’ Award at the ‘Great Scot Awards’ and the ‘Rising Star Award’ at the ‘Forth Awards.’ He was also featured on ‘BBC Music’s ‘Sound of 2018.’
- In 2019, Capaldi won the ‘MTV Brand New for 2019’ award. He was also nominated for the ‘Brit Critic’s Choice Award.’
- Capaldi’s elder brother Warren is also a musician, and as children, they would go to guitar lessons together.
- He is famously related to actor Peter Capaldi, who portrayed the ‘Twelfth Doctor’ on ‘Doctor Who.’ He is also distantly related to nuclear physicist Joseph Capaldi, who worked on the ‘Higgs Boson International Project.’
- Capaldi’s unique initiative of looking out for fans impaired by panic attacks in his 2020 tour is a result of fans writing to him mentioning the problem and also from his own experiences of panic attacks while performing on stage.
- He is active on social media and well-loved for his humorous, relatable posts, especially on ‘Instagram.’
- Capaldi’s older brother Warren has mentioned that of the two of them, Capaldi was better at self-teaching music.
- The ‘LIVELIVE’ feature of Capaldi’s 2020 tour will, for the cost of 50 pence added to each ticket, provide a trained and dedicated team at every venue, whom fans can approach for help. Additionally there will be “help points,” “escape rooms,” and a “gig buddy system” for those traveling alone.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed