Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: Ann Lennox
Famous as: Singer-songwriter
Spouse/Ex-: Mitchell Besser (m. 2012), Radha Raman (m. 1984–1985), Uri Fruchtmann (m. 1988–2000)
father: Thomas Allison Lennox
mother: Dorothy (Ferguson)
children: Daniel Fruchtmann, Lola Fruchtmann, Tali Lennox
Ann “Annie” Lennoz is a singer known for her innovative musical style and sweet, melodious voice which enabled her to become one of the most loved female British singers of the contemporary times. She rose to prominence as a musician when she collaborated with fellow singer David A. Stewart to form the duo Eurythmics. The duo achieved great success not only in Britain but also in the international scenario. David and Annie had begun their careers with a musical group called The Tourists which was a minor success. After the break-up of this band, the duo created their own group Eurythmics which became an international sensation with the release of their singles ‘Sweet Dream (Are Made of This)’, ‘Love Is A Stranger’, and ‘The Miracle of Love’. The duo achieved great success worldwide and split up after a decade of working together though they still reunite from time to time for their performances. Annie went to pursue a solo career with the release of her debut album, ‘Diva’. The album peaked at No.1 in the U.K. and was accredited multi-platinum in the U.K and the U.S. Her music is critically acclaimed and she is the recipient of several prestigious awards including eight Brit Awards. She is also well known for her philanthropic works.
- She was the only child in a middle-class family that consisted of a mother who worked as a cook and a father who worked at the shipyard.She displayed an early interest in music and her parents arranged for her to receive piano lessons when she was seven. She went to Aberdeen High School for Girls.She won a place at the Royal Academy of Music in London during the 1970s. However, she was not happy there as she felt lonely and had to work at odd jobs to make ends meet. She began playing with a few bands over the duration of her course.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- She started her musical career as a flautist with a band called Dragon’s Playground in 1976. Then she joined a group, The Tourists, where she was the lead singer from 1977 to 1980. She met fellow musician David Stewart during this time.After the break up of The Tourists, David and Annie formed their own musical duo known as the Eurythmics in 1980 and released their first album, ‘In the Garden’ in 1981.The duo brought out its second album, ‘Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)’ in 1983. This proved to be a commercial breakthrough for the group which had been struggling for the past two years. The title track became very popular and is considered the group’s signature song.Over the 1980s, Eurythmics released several albums and singles which included the highly popular tracks ‘Love is a Stranger’, Who’s That Girl?’, ‘Would I Lie to You?, and ‘Thorn in My Side’. The duo disbanded in 1990.Annie embarked on a solo career in the 1990s and released her debut album, ‘Diva’ in 1992. The album was a huge success, both commercial and critical. It had the singles ‘Why’ and ‘Walking on Broken Glass’.Her second album, ‘Medusa’ was released in 1995. The album was fully composed of cover songs that had originally been sung by male artists. It peaked at No.1 on the U.K. Albums Chart.In 1998, Annie and her former partner David performed together at a record company party after being apart for eight years. The decided to work together again and released the album ‘Peace’ in 1999 which reflected the duo’s concern with the issues of world peace.Continue Reading BelowHer third solo album ‘Bare’ was out in 2003. It reached No.3 in the U.K. and No.4 in the U.S. She went on a tour as a solo artist to promote her album and visited places in both U.S. and Europe.In 2007, she brought out her album ‘Songs of Mass Destruction’ which debuted at No.7 in the U.K. She embarked on a primarily North American tour called ‘Annie Lennox Sing’ in October-November 2007 which included 18 stops.Her latest studio album is ‘A Christmas Cornucopia’ which was released in 2010. The album is a collection of her favourite Christmas songs and contains one original track written by her.Major Works
- Her debut solo album, ‘Diva’ is her biggest success so far. The album peaked at No.1 on both the U.K. and the Italian album chart and has been accredited multi-platinum in several markets including the U.S., U.K., and Canada.Her album ‘Medusa’ spawned four hit singles including ‘No More I Love You’s’, ‘A Whiter Shade of Pale’ and ‘Something So Right’. The album went multi-platinum in the U.K. as well as U.S.Awards & Achievements
- She won the Academy Award for Best song for ‘Into the West’ from the film ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King’ in 2004. She had collaborated with Fran Walsh and Howard Shore on this song which also won a Grammy Award and a Golden Globe award.She was presented with the American Music Award of Merit for her humanitarian efforts in 2008.Personal Life & Legacy
- She was briefly married to a German Hare Krishna devotee, Radha Raman for a year. Her second marriage was to Israeli film producer Uri Fruchtmann in 1988. The couple had two daughters and divorced in 2000.She married South African gynecologist Dr. Mitch Besser in 2012.She is well known for her humanitarian works and is a public supporter of Amnesty International and Greenpeace. She established The SING Campaign to raise funds and awareness for women and children suffering from HIV and AIDS.
2004 Best Music, Original Song The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)Golden Globe Awards 2004 Best Original Song - Motion Picture The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)Grammy Awards 2005 Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 1993 Best Music Video - Long Form WinnerMTV Video Music Awards 1992 Best Female Video Annie Lennox: Why (1992)
How To CiteArticle Title- Annie Lennox BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/annie-lennox-737.phpLast Updated- October 04, 2017
People Also Viewed