Sun Sign: Virgo
Also Known As: Jorge Abner Drexler Prada
Born in: Montevideo
Famous as: Singer-songwriter
Spouse/Ex-: Ana Laan, Leonor Watling
children: Lea Drexler, Luca Drexler, Pablo Drexler
City: Montevideo, Uruguay
Jorge Drexler is a Uruguayan singer-songwriter. He was drawn to music very early in his life, and started playing the piano and taking formal classes. In general, he was very well educated and followed in his parents' footsteps by earning his medical degree. However, his interest in music was too much of a draw and he decided to pursue his music career instead of medicine. He put out his first few albums in Uruguay before attracting the attention of the Spanish music industry. He continued his career in Spain and produced several albums there. He achieved fame for a song on his 2004 album 'Eco' when it was featured in the film 'The Motorcycle Diaries.' The internationally renowned song went on to win an Oscar and cemented Drexler's place at the forefront of the Spanish music scene. He experienced more success with his 2010 album 'Amar La Trama' which was a global hit and scored him several Latin Grammy nominations.
- Jorge Abner Drexler Prada was born on September 21, 1964 in Montevideo, Uruguay. His father was a refugee of the Holocaust who had fled to Uruguay with his family and his mother is a Christian of mixed heritage.He was raised Jewish but, as an adult, he no longer practices the same.He had an avid interest in music early on and started playing the piano when he was just five. He continued his musical education throughout his childhood with guitar and composition classes.He carried on his parents' legacy as doctors by going to medical school to become an otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose and Throat specialist).Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Despite his medical degree, Drexler chose to pursue his passion for music and recorded two albums that were only released in Uruguay - 'La Luz Que Sabe Robar' in 1992 and 'Radar' in 1994.He was invited to Madrid, Spain, by songwriter Joaquín Sabina and worked with various Spanish singers as he composed his third album 'Vaivén' which was released in 1996. During that time, he signed an international recording contract.He then moved to Spain to continue producing music and brought out three more albums - 'Llueve' in 1998, 'Frontera' in 1999, and 'Sea' in 2001. Three years after 'Sea' was released, a compilation album of his early work was produced as well - 'La Edad del Cielo.'He switched labels and joined Dro Atlántic, and brought out his sixth album 'Eco' in 2004. This album contained the song 'Al Otro Lado del Río' which was featured in the film 'The Motorcycle Diaries.'In 2006, he released '12 Segundos De Oscuridad' which was mostly original work but included two covers.He produced a live compilation album in 2008, 'Cara B,' which was composed of many unreleased songs.In 2010, he brought out 'Amar la Trama' which also included a DVD about the making of the album.In the subsequent years, 2011 and 2012, he went on tour.He was back in the studio in 2013 composing the album 'Bailar en la Cueva' which was released in 2014. Several Latin artists made guest appearances on the album.Continue Reading BelowMajor Works
- In 2004, he produced 'Eco' with Dro Atlántic. The song 'Al Otro Lado del Río' from the album was featured in the film 'The Motorcycle Diaries.'Drexler wrote the song 'Gracias' in 2008 for Omara Portuondo which was Grammy-nominated.'Amar la Trama's sales elevated the album to the top five in Spain and it received four nominations for the 2010 Latin Grammy Awards.His album 'Bailar en la Cueva' came out in 2014 and featured a variety of guest musicians.Awards & Achievements
- 'Al Otro Lado del Río' won the Oscar in 2004 for Best Original Song after being featured in the movie 'The Motorcycle Diaries.'He was nominated for four Latin Grammy awards in 2014 for 'Bailar en la Cueva' and won the categories Record of the Year and Best Singer-Songwriter Album.Personal Life & Legacy
- He is currently linked to Spanish celebrity Leonor Watling with whom he had a child named Luca in January 2009.He was married previously to Ana Laan. They divorced in 2005.He is a major force in the Spanish music scene and celebrates the improvisational style of Latin music in his performances.Trivia
- He is the first person to win an Academy Award for a Spanish-language song. Antonio Banderas and Carlos Santana performed the winning song 'Al Otro Lado del Río' at the ceremonies and Drexler sang it a capella during his acceptance speech.His 2010 album 'Amar la Trama' was recorded in four days.
How To CiteArticle Title- Jorge Drexler BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/jorge-drexler-5720.phpLast Updated- November 07, 2017
People Also Viewed