Jim Schwartz Biography
Sun Sign: Gemini
Also Known As: James J. Schwartz
Born Country: United States
Born in: Halethorpe, Maryland, United States
Famous as: Film Producer
Spouse/Ex-: Kathy Schwartz
children: Allison Schwartz, Christian Schwartz, Maria Schwartz
City: Baltimore, Maryland
U.S. State: Maryland
education: Georgetown University, Mount Saint Joseph High School
James J. “Jim” Schwartz is an American football coach who is currently serving as the defensive coordinator for the professional team Philadelphia Eagles. With football being his passion since childhood, he played throughout his school and college years, eventually taking up coaching roles. During the initial years of his coaching career, he worked with Maryland Terrapins football team and the North Carolina Central Eagles football team. He enjoyed much success as a football coach, grooming the young players for success. The popular team the Detroit Lions decided to hire Schwartz as their head coach in 2009. This move further boosted his career. Over the years, he went on to be associated with professional football teams like Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills, and Philadelphia Eagles. He is currently the defensive coordinator for Philadelphia Eagles under coach Doug Pederson.
- Jim Schwartz started his career in the 1990s by doing research for Bill Belichick, football coach of the team Cleveland Browns. Between 2001 and 2008, he worked as the defensive coordinator for the team Tennessee Titans. He proved to be a much valuable asset to the team in this position. During this stint, he was considered for the position of head coach by several other football teams like Miami Dolphins, Washington Redskins, and San Francisco 49ers.
- In 2009, it was reported that the Detroit Lions planned to hire him as head coach, a position he accepted. During his stint with the Detroit Lions, the team witnessed multiple victories. He also received praise for his valuable inputs on defensive schemes. In 2014, Jim Schwartz was hired by Buffalo Bills as their defensive coordinator. The same year, his defenses in the National Football League games began to be regarded among the top defenses statistically in the NFL.
- During the 2014 season, the team won a game against his former team Detroit Lions with a score of 17–14 and went on to finish the season with a winning record of 9-7. However, with the end of the season and the resignation of head coach Doug Marrone, the new coach Rex Ryan appointed his own personnel, rather than retaining Jim Schwartz as the defensive coordinator.
- In the 2015 season, Schwartz worked as a consultant with the NFL’s officiating department to share a coach’s perspective on officiating decisions. The same year, he turned down an offer to replace Kevin Coyle as the Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator. The following year, he was hired by Philadelphia Eagles as a defensive coordinator. He worked under head coach Doug Pederson and was able to bring immediate changes in the team’s defenses. He was able to successfully lead the team towards their first Superbowl championship in Super Bowl LII in 2017.
- Jim Schwartz was born on 2nd June 1966, in Halethorpe, Maryland, USA, to Jim, who was a police officer, and his wife, Pat. He has eight siblings: one brother and seven sisters. He attended the Mount Saint Joseph High School in Maryland, where he began playing football. He later studied economics at Georgetown University. While pursuing his college education, he played as a linebacker for the university team, Hoyas.
- Jim Schwartz is married to Kathy Kelly and has three children: twins, son Christian and daughter Allison, born in 2001, and a younger daughter, Maria, born in 2003.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed