Jane O Meara Sanders Biography
Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: Mary Jane O Meara Sanders
Born in: New York City, New York
Famous as: Social Worker
Height: 1.67 m
Spouse/Ex-: Bernie Sanders (m. 1988), Dave Driscoll (ex-husband)
father: Benedict P. O Meara
mother: Bernadette Joan
children: Carina Driscoll, David Driscoll, Heather Driscoll
City: New York City
U.S. State: New Yorkers
Notable Alumni: University Of Tennessee--Knoxville
education: Saint Saviour High School, University of Tennessee, Goddard College, Union Institute & University
Jane O'Meara Sanders, also known as Mary Jane O'Meara Sanders, is an American social worker, political staffer, and college administrator. She is also famous for being the wife of U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders. She has served as the president of Burlington College as well as the interim president and provost of Goddard College. In June 2017, she started a think tank titled ‘The Sanders Institute’. Sanders, who is ‘one of the key advisers’ of Bernie Sanders, has been employed several times by the latter as administrative assistant, policy and press adviser, spokeswoman, media buyer and chief of staff. In a 1996 article published in ‘The Washington Post,’ Jane was credited with helping Sanders draft "over 50 pieces of legislation". Besides these, she serves as a substitute Commissioner for Texas Low Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Compact Commission. On a personal note, Jane is a strong, independent, and bold woman. She is a devoted wife and a loving mother of three children.
- Jane O’Meara Sanders initially worked in the Burlington Police Department. She then served as a community organizer and later worked for VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America). From 1981 to 1991, she served as the founding Director at Mayor's Youth Office as well as the Department Head in the City of Burlington. During this time, Jane was also active in K-12 education and served as a School Board Commissioner.
- From 1991 to 1995, she worked on a volunteer basis in her husband Bernie Sanders’ office. After this, she was elected Interim President and Provost of Goddard College. There, she helped to improve the finances, accreditation, and governance of the institution.
- From 2004 to 2011, Jane Sanders served as the President of Burlington College. However, the college was shut down in 2016 due to financial problems. Then she worked as an educational and political consultant at Leadership Strategies, a Burlington-based consulting firm. In June 2017, Jane founded a progressive think tank called ‘The Sanders Institute’.
- Jane O'Meara Sanders was born as Mary Jane O'Meara on January 3, 1950 in New York City, New York, USA, to Bernadette Joan and Benedict P. O'Meara. She studied at the Saint Saviour High School and later enrolled at the University of Tennessee. However, she dropped out of the university after a certain period of time. Jane then finished her college degree at the Goddard College. In 1996, she received a doctorate in leadership studies from the Union Institute & University.
- Talking about her love life, she was previously married to Dave Driscoll and had three children with him: Heather, Carina, and David. After divorcing Driscoll, Jane went on to marry Bernie Sanders in 1988.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed