Sun Sign: Gemini
Also Known As: acov Moshe Maza
Born in: Sheboygan, Wisconsin, U.S.
Famous as: American comedian
Spouse/Ex-: Jyll Rosenfeld
children: Sheba Mason
U.S. State: Wisconsin
education: City College of New York
Widely regarded as one of the greatest stand-up comedians of all time, Jackie Mason is known for his impeccable comic timing and political satire that leaves audiences awe-struck and amused. His keen observation of the idiosyncrasies of modern day life and the ability to create humour out of it has earned him countless fans. A ‘rabbi’ turned comedian, Mason rose from very humble beginnings to become one of the most popular comedians in the American entertainment circuit. He gained fame on ‘The Ed Sullivan Show’ but unfortunately fell into Sullivan’s bad books over the now famous hand gesture that, stirred a bitter controversy. This incident blemished his reputation and affected his career for quite a while. However, he re-emerged even more successful with the one-man comedy show ‘The World According To Me’. After the success of the show on Broadway, he became one of the most popular entertainers in New York comic circle and subsequently established himself as one of the nation’s leading stand-up comedians. He is passionate about politics and is known for his outspoken views on political issues. To learn more interesting facts about his personal life and professional achievements, scroll down and continue to read this bio.
- Born as Yacov Moshe Maza in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, to a Jewish family. He grew up in a family surrounded by ‘rabbis’, including his father and brothers.His family moved to New York City when he was five years old and he grew up in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. He spent most part of formative years training to be a ‘rabbi’.At the age of 25, following his holy ordainment, he spent three years in Latrobe, Pennsylvania as a ‘rabbi’, after which he resigned to become a comedian.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- During the summer of 1955, he started working as a comedian at the Fieldston Hotel in Swan Lake, New York for a brief period of time. However, soon he was fired because the audience could not connect to his sense of humour.In the 1960’s he appeared on and off on the ‘The Ed Sullivan Show’, an American TV ‘variety show’ that was broadcast on the CBS network.His career took a set back after 1962 as he was accused of showing Ed Sullivan ‘The Finger’ on his show. This tarnished his image and it took him over a decade to revive his career.In 1979, he appeared in the commercially successful hit film ‘The Jerk’, an American comedy directed by Carl Reiner and written by Steve Martin and Carl Reiner.In the 1980’s, he started his own one-man comedy show called ‘The World According To Me’ in Hollywood and at Beverly Hills. The show was an immense success and did wonders for his career.In 1986, ‘The World According To Me’ premiered on Broadway and he delivered his first performance for Broadway audiences. The show was a major hit among audiences and earned him the status of a gifted comedian in the New York entertainment circuit.On May 2, 1988 his solo comedy show ‘The World According To Me’ opened at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre, New York.Continue Reading BelowIn 1989, he played a minor role in the television sitcom ‘Chicken Soup’, an ABC series that was based on the relationship between an Irish woman and a Jewish man.In 1992, he gave the voice-over of ‘Rabbi Hyman Krustofski’ for ‘The Simpsons’ episode of ‘Like Father, Like Clown’. He also appeared in subsequent episodes of ‘The Simpons’.In 2005, he started his own daily talk show ‘The Jackie Mason Show’, which was broadcast on the CN8 network every Friday night from 8 to 8.30 p.m.Along with his friend Raoul Lionel Felder, he hosted the weekly PBS television talk show ‘Crossing The Line’ and the BBC radio show ‘The Mason- Felder Report’.From 2006 to 2008, he hosted a nationally syndicated radio program on the ‘The Talk Radio Network’. The show covered topics like current affairs, politics and he interviewed many prominent personalities.In 2010, he starred in the full length feature film ‘One Angry Man’, directed by Peter LeDonne, the film is an adaptation of the Henry Fonda film ’12 Angry Men’.In 2012, he was part of the video podcast ‘Answer Me This’ in order to promote his upcoming stand-up comedy show ‘Fearless’.Continue Reading BelowMajor Works
- In the 1960’s he appeared on the ‘The Ed Sullivan Show’, which in 2002 featured at number 15 on TV Guides list of ‘50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time’ and the show ran for 22 years.In 1979, he appeared in the film ‘The Jerk’ that earned a whopping $73 million at the box office, which made it the 9th highest grossing film that year. The film was appeared at the 89th spot on the American Film Institute’s list of ‘100 Years 100 Laughs’.Written by him in the 1980’s, the one-man comedy show called ‘The World According To Me’ is one of his best works that ran on Broadway for two and a half years and in the Brooks Atkinson Theatre for 206 performances. It has been recreated in as a film of the same title for television audiences.Awards & Achievements
- In 1988, he was the recipient of the Emmy Award under the category, ‘Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program’ for ‘The World According To Me’.In 1992, he received the Emmy Award for the category of ‘Outstanding Voice-Over Performance’ in ‘The Simpsons’ episode of ‘Like father, Like Clown’.In 2005, he was ranked 63rd in the Comedy Central list of ‘100 Greatest Stand-Ups of All Time’.Personal Life & Legacy
- On August 14, 1991 he got married to Jyll Rosenfeld.In 1991, during the first Persian Gulf crisis, he travelled to Israel to show solidarity, for which he was later honoured by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.Trivia
- This acclaimed American stand-up comedian once referred to Barack Obama as a ‘schwarze’, which in German means a black person.
AwardsPrimetime Emmy Awards
1992 Outstanding Voice-Over Performance The Simpsons (1989) 1988 Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program Jackie Mason: The World According to Me (1988)
How To CiteArticle Title- Jackie Mason BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/jackie-mason-4842.phpLast Updated- November 02, 2017
People Also Viewed