Im Yoon-ah Biography
Im Yoon-ah, better known by her stage name Yoona, is a South-Korean singer and actress. She made her debut as a member of the girl group ‘Girls’ Generation’. With time, she became one of the best-selling artists of South Korea, and her group also became one of the most popular ones in the country. Along with the group, she began her musical career with their self-titled album ‘Girls’ Generation’. It became the second best-selling album of the month in South Korea, selling nearly 50,000 copies in the first month itself. They continued to release several successful albums over the years, such as ‘Lion Heart’ and ‘Love & Peace’. As an actress, she played the lead role in the TV series ‘You Are My Destiny’. The series was a huge success not only in South Korea, but also in other Asian countries. The other TV projects she is known for include ‘Love Rain’ and the Chinese series ‘God of War, Zhao Yun’. She also appeared in the web series ‘Innisfree Summer Love’. She has won several awards, such as the KBS Drama Awards six times, the Asia Artist Awards four times, and the Korea Drama Award once.
- Im Yoon-ah was born on 30th May 1990 in Yeongdeungpo District, Seoul, South Korea. Her family consists of her father and a sister, who is older than her by five years.She developed an interest in music at an early age. She was a fan of the group SES, whose music inspired her to become a singer.As she grew up, she began training consistently. She studied at Daeyoung High School and later at the Dongguk University where she majored in theatre studies. She eventually started appearing in music videos. In 2007, she became a member of the band ‘Girls’ Generation’.Continue Reading BelowYou May LikeRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Singing Career
- Im Yoon-ah’s career began in 2007 after her group ‘Girls’ Generation’ released their first self-titled album. It included singles such as ‘Into the New World’, ‘Girls’ Generation’, ‘Baby Baby’ and ‘Tinker Bell’. The album performed well financially, selling nearly 50,000 copies in the first month. Around this time, Im Yoon-ah began to gain popularity under her stage name, Yoona.Later, the group signed with Nayutawave Records and made their way into the Japanese music scene. Their album ‘Oh!,’ released in 2010, found commercial success, peaking at the 1st position on the South Korean charts and at the 54th position on the Japanese Charts. They released another self-titled Japanese album the following year. The group continued to enjoy success as this album topped the Japanese Albums Chart.In 2011, they also released the album ‘The Boys’ which topped the South Korean chart and stood at the 2nd position on the Japanese chart. It also reached the US Billboard World Albums Chart, where it peaked at the 2nd position. The album was the best-selling album of the year in South Korea. It was met with mixed reviews.In the ensuing years, the group released several other albums which include ‘Girls & Peace’ (2012), ‘Love & Peace’ (2013), ‘I Got a Boy’, (2013) and ‘Lion Heart’ (2015). Their most recent album ‘Holiday Night’ was released in 2017. It was a commercial success, reaching the 2nd position on the South Korean Chart. It also reached the charts in several other countries such as Taiwan and the US. Yoona’s solo career began in 2016, with an Extended Play named ‘Blossom’.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Acting Career
- Yoona made her acting debut with a supporting role in the TV series ‘Two Outs in the Ninth Inning’ in 2007. The next year, she played the lead role in the TV series ‘You Are My Destiny’. She earned a lot of popularity and appreciation for her role. The show won several awards. It aired from 2008 to 2009 and Yoona received two KBS Drama Awards for her performance, which made the show a turning point in her career.She continued to earn acclaim for her acting skills in the ensuing years. She acted in many TV shows like ‘Cinderella Man’ and ‘Prime Minister and I’. She made her film debut in 2012, with the film ‘I AM,’ a biographical film of SM Town.Her other works over the course of her acting career include the Chinese TV series ‘God of War, Zhao Yun’ and the South Korean TV series ‘The K2’ in 2016. In 2017, she played a supporting role in the action film ‘Confidential Assignment’. The same year, she also played a role in the TV series ‘The King in Love’.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- Yoona’s first lead role as an actress was in the TV series ‘You Are My Destiny’. It earned her several awards and nominations. Though it received low ratings initially, the ratings rose over the years and the show eventually became a huge success in South Korea as well as other Asian countries. She won two KBS drama awards for her outstanding performance.Another important work in her career is the Chinese TV series ‘God of War, Zhao Yun’ where she played the lead role of Xiahou Qingyi/Ma Yunlu. The show was a huge success and eventually crossed over a billion views in total. It was also highly praised by the critics. It won several awards and nominations as well. Later, it was broadcast internationally in countries, such as South Korea, Japan, and Thailand.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Personal Life
- Yoona is currently known to be single.
How To CiteArticle Title- Im Yoon-ah BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/im-yoon-ah-41571.phpLast Updated- June 21, 2018
People Also Viewed