Nam Woo-hyun Biography
Nationality: South Korean
Sun Sign: Aquarius
Also Known As: Woohyun
Born in: Seoul, South Korea
Famous as: Singer-songwriter
siblings: Nam Boo-hyun
City: Seoul, South Korea
education: Dong-ah Institute of Media and Arts (2009–2014), Dong-ah Institute of Media and Arts, Sejong University
Nam Woo-hyun is a South Korean singer, music composer, and actor. He is best known as a member of the popular Korean boy-band ‘Infinite.’ On May 9, 2016, he released his debut extended play (EP) ‘Write,’ which peaked at number two and nine in the ‘Gaon Music Chart’ and ‘US Billboard’ chart respectively. His second album ‘Second Write,’ which was released on September 3, 2018, peaked at number two in the ‘Gaon Music Chart.’ He made his acting debut in 2012 when he played a supporting role in a television series titled ‘The Thousandth man.’ Apart from acting in television series, he has also played important roles in stage plays, such as ‘I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change,’ ‘The Days,’ and ‘Mefisto.’
- Nam Woo-hyun was born on February 8, 1991, in Seoul, South Korea, where he grew up along with his older brother Nam Boo-hyun. After graduating from high school, he went to ‘Dong-ah Institute of Media and Arts’ from where he graduated in 2014, majoring in Applied Music.
- Nam aspired to become a soccer player during his teenage years. However, when he could not realize his dream of becoming a soccer player, he decided to become a singer. He then started auditioning at agencies like ‘Woollim Entertainment’ and ‘YG Entertainment’ in an attempt to become a singer. He eventually made it to ‘Woollim Entertainment’ where he started training to become part of a Korean pop musical group.
- Nam Woo-hyun started his career as a model. In 2007, he appeared in KooPD's music video where he played the lead role. In 2009, he was seen in ‘Mnet’ television channel’s ‘Girl Punch’ in which he performed Lee Seung-gi's song ‘Words That Are Hard to Say.’
- Meanwhile, he became part of a boy band named ‘Infinite’ which was formed by ‘Woollim Entertainment’ in 2010. The band made its debut on June 9, 2010, with its mini album ‘First Invasion.’ The album housed six songs, including the main single ‘Come Back Again.’ ‘First Invasion’ peaked at number 10 on ‘Gaon Album Chart.’
- In 2011, he lent his voice to a webtoon titled ‘Wara Store’ which was aired on ‘Tooniverse.’ In July 2011, ‘Infinite’ released its first full album ‘Over the Top.’ In September 2011, Nam became part of the popular television music competition show ‘Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend.’ However, he soon left the show, citing his band’s upcoming Japanese promotions.
- He started his musical theatre career in 2012 by performing a supporting role in a musical titled ‘Gwanghwamun Sonata.’ The musical was staged in Korea from January to March 2012. He reprised his role in 2013 when ‘Gwanghwamun Sonata’ was staged in Japan from January 4 to January 6.
- In February 2012, ‘Infinite’ came up with its first concert which was held in Seoul's ‘Olympic Stadium’ and in ‘Tokyo International Forum.’ Subsequently, Nam Woo-hyun was featured in a documentary film titled ‘INFINITE Concert Second Invasion Evolution The Movie 3D.’ He also made his television acting debut in 2012 when he was cast to play a supporting role in ‘MBC’ network’s ‘The Thousandth man.’
- On February 20, 2014, Korea's largest entertainment company ‘SM Entertainment’ announced the formation of ‘Toheart,’ consisting of Nam Woo-hyun and Kim Ki-bum from another boy band named ‘Shinee.’ On March 10, 2014, ‘Toheart’ released its mini album ‘Delicious.’ In the same year, Nam was seen in another documentary film titled ‘Grow: Infinite's Real Youth Life.’ He was also cast to play the lead role of Shin Woohyun in a TV series titled ‘Hi! School: Love On.’ In December 2014, he directed a short film titled ‘What Happened in Hong Kong.’
- On May 9, 2016, he released his mini album ‘Write’ as a solo artist. In 2018, he played the lead role in a Japanese stage play titled ‘I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change’ which was staged in Osaka from May 17 to 20 and then in Tokyo from August 12 to 16. In the same year, he was also seen playing Amos Scudder in a stage play titled ‘Barnum: The Greatest Showman,’ which was staged in Seoul from August to October 2018.
- On September 3, 2018, he came up with his second mini-album ‘Second Write.’ In November, he held his debut solo concert ‘Arbor Day’ at the ‘Hannam-dong Blue Square.’ In the same year, he appeared as a panelist in ‘MBC’ network’s show ‘The King of Mask Singer.’ From 2018 to 2019, he played the lead role of Mooyung in the popular stage play ‘The Days.’
- On February 12, 2019, he became part of the judging panel of a reality TV show titled ‘Tomorrow's Miss Trot.’ On May 7, he released his third mini-album ‘A New Journey’ which peaked at number two on ‘The Gaon Music Chart.’ From May 25 to July 28, 2019, he played the title role in ‘Mefisto’ which was staged at Kwanglim Arts Center’s ‘BBCH Hall’ in Seoul.
- Nam Woo-hyun’s older brother Nam Boo-hyun owns a BBQ restaurant named ‘Meok & Sam’ in Seoul, South Korea. Unlike his younger brother, Boo-hyun likes maintaining a low profile. Nam Woo-hyun is close to his mother and often posts her pictures on his official Instagram page.
- Apart from acting and creating music, Nam Woo-hyun plays football for the celebrity football club, ‘FC Men.’ He made his debut for ‘FC Men’ on May 17, 2015, when his team played against ‘Jeju United FC’ in a charity match.
- He is active on social media platforms, such as Instagram and Twitter where he has millions of followers. Both his Instagram and Twitter page has managed to accumulate more than 1.5 million followers. He currently lives in South Korea where he continues to create music.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed