Im Si Wan Biography
Nationality: South Korean
Famous as: Singer
education: Pusan National University, Dong-ah Institute of Media and Arts, Woosong Information College
awards: 2015 · Misaeng - Baeksang Arts Award for Best New Actor in TV
2014 - Grand Bell Award Popularity Award
2014 - PaekSang Arts Award for LF Fashionista
2014 - Blue Dragon Film Award Popular Star Award - Male
Im Si Wan is a South Korean singer. He is also known for his acting and hosting skills on TV shows. He was a member of the boyband group ZE: A. He plays the role of the leader of the group and is the lead vocalist in the band. He also plays the violin sometimes. It helped him build his career throughout his young age. He was also part of its subgroup ZE: A Five. He has also had some successful runs in acting when he acted in the cable TV series, ‘Misaeng’ in 2014. Misaeng was also known as ‘Incomplete Life’. His film, ‘The Attorney’ which was released in 2013, is very popular and his acting in the film was well appreciated. Generally, he likes to play roles that suit him. Those include roles that portray him as a guy with perfect looks, manners and lifestyle. His other major works include ‘A Melody To Remember’ and ‘Waiting for Love’.
- Im Si Wan was born on 1st December 1988 in Busan, South Korea. His birth name was ImWoong Jae. He liked music and arts right from his childhood days. Later, he decided to pursue a career in the music industry.
- He studied at the Busan Gudeok High School before attending the Busan National University. Later, after graduating from the University, he went to the University of East Broadcasting Arts. Currently, he is studying at the Woosong Information College.
- He is known as Lim Shi Wan, Im Si Wan, Yim Si Wan. However, his stage name is just Si Wan.
- Im was attending the Chin Chin Song Festival in Busan when Star Empire recruited him as a trainee. Just after entering the training, he joined a group called ‘Children Of Empire’. The group had nine members in it and they all trained together for the next 3 years until they started doing guerilla performances across the country. A year later, on 7th January 2010, the group debuted through an extended play which was called ‘Nativity’. The group converted intoa boyband and named themselves ZE: A. They debuted on KBS’s Music Bank on 15th January 2010.
- Im started playing young Heo Yeom in the period drama, ‘Moon Embracing The Sun’ in 2012. It gained a lot of fame and surpassed the baseline of 40% viewers’ ratings and gained the status of National Drama. This helped Im to a great extent as his acting was greatly appreciated and the critics were happy with his performance. He also gained a certain status in the acting industry in South Korea.
- Later, in the same year, he played the role of a cold young man with a negative outlook on life due to a sad story as his background in the revenge drama, ‘Man From The Equator’. Later on, he went on to be cast in the sitcom, ‘Standby’ in 2012 and the Drama Special, ‘Waiting For Love’ in 2013.
- In 2013, he was cast in the courtroom drama film, ‘The Attorney’, which received great critical as well as commercial success. Im played a young student who is accused of being a communist sympathizer by the police and is tortured by them. The film went on to become the 8thbest - selling movie in South Korea. It sold around 11 million tickets in South Korea.
- In 2014, he returned to television with two drama series, ‘Misaeng’ and ‘Triangle’. He played a former baduk player who has to adapt to the Korean culture in the series, ‘Misaeng’, also known as ‘Incomplete Life: Prequel’. In ‘Triangle’, he portrayed a boy who is raised in a cold chaebol household.
- He then returned to the big screen in 2016 when he was cast in the war drama film, ‘A Melody To Remember’, where he played a good hearted soldier who believes in miracles and hopes for it even in a desperate situation.
- In 2017, he went on to play roles that were different from his usual ones. He played a cunning con man in the crime caper movie, ‘One Line’ and an undercover cop who works with a drug smuggling ring in the crime action film, ‘The Merciless’.
- He played the role of Joseph in the Musical Theatre Play, ‘Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’. He was part of the variety show, ‘Birth of a Family’ in 2011 - 2012.
- In 2012, he hosted the 2012 Dream Concert on the KBS Network and the SBS Super Concert in Yeosu EXPO.His major studio albums are ‘Loveability’ and ‘Spectacular’. Both these albums were created by the boyband ZE: A.ZE: A’s single albums include ‘Nativity’, ‘Leap for Detonation’, ‘Exciting’ and ‘Phoenix’.
- Some of his popular singles are ‘Beautiful Lady’, ‘The Ghost Of The Wind’, ‘All Day Along’ and ‘Level Up’among other singles. He has appeared in music videos like ‘Aftermath’, ‘Breathe’, ‘Continue’, ‘My Only Wish’ and‘Love Letter’among many other videos.
- In 2017, Im Si Wan was invited for the first time to the Cannes Film Festival.He was rewarded an ambassadorship of the Korea Tourism Organization, Tissot Swatch Group, Woosong University, Gyeonggi Province, Korea International Trade Association and FinTech Financial Technology Group Inc.
- In 2012, he won the Best Newcomer in a Sitcom Award at the 12th MBC Entertainment Awards for his role in ‘Standby’.In 2013, he won the Best New Actor award at the 9th Max Movie Awards as well as the 3rd Marie Claire Film Awards. His other awards include the Best Fashionista Award at the 50th Baeksang Arts Awards, 50th Baeksang Arts Awards at the 51st Grand Bell Awards, the Popularity Award at the 35th Blue Dragon Film Awards as well as the 3rd Korean Film Actor's Association Awards for his role in the film, ‘The Attorney’.
- Wan also won the Best New Actor award at the 33rd MBC Drama Awards for ‘Triangle’. For his role in ‘Misaeng’, he received the Best Actor award at the 9th Cable TV Broadcasting Awards, the Asia Special Award, Best Actor award at the 10th Asia Model Festival Awards, the Best New Actor (TV) at the 51st Baeksang Arts Awards, the Actor Special Jury Prize at the 8th Korea Drama Awards and the Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries at the 4th APAN Star Awards.
- Although very little is known about Im’s personal life, it is well known that he started serving the military for his mandatory military service from 11th July, 2017. The mandatory service is scheduled to end on 10th April, 2019.
- He is around 175 cms tall and weighs around 55 kgs. He is active on social media through Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. He used to manage an online clothing shop before he became famous.
- He was cast alongside Chae Soo Bin and Kim Myung Soo in the Chinese South Korean web drama, ‘My Catman’.
- He was cast as an ambitious crown prince in the historical melodrama, ‘The King In Love’.
- He plays the violin and the guitar and is proficient with the vocals.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed