Amethyst Amelia Kelly professionally known as Iggy Azalea is an Australian rapper, singer, songwriter and model who topped the Billboard 'Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums' chart as the first female and non-American rapper. A fan of hip-hop music, she moved to America, the birthplace of that genre, to pursue her music career. She gained the attention of the media after music videos of her songs, 'Pu$$y' and 'Two Times', went viral on YouTube. While her debut mixtape 'Ignorant Art' got her recognition, she shot to fame with her debut studio album 'The New Classic'. Some of her chartbusting singles are 'Fancy', 'Work', 'Black Widow', 'Team' and 'Change Your Life'. She has worked with top stars from the music industry like Rita Ora, Tyga, Beyoncé and T.I. Along with 'The Beatles', she holds the record of claiming top two positions in the Billboard chart with first two 'Hot 100' entries. She has modeled for top brands and has appeared in the movie 'Furious 7'. She was in a relationship with pro basketball player Nick Young for three years before breaking off. She has recently started her own production company, Azalea Street Productions.
- Iggy Azalea was born as Amethyst Amelia Kelly on June 7, 1990 in Sydney. Her family moved to Mullumbimby, New South Wales when she was still an infant.Her father, Brendan Kelly, was a painter and comics artist and her mother, Tanya, cleaned holiday houses and hotels. Her father inspired her to look into art when she was a teenager.Azalea, who has been subjected to ridicule for her homemade outfits, used to hate school mostly, other than the art class. She eventually dropped out of high school and started working with her mother to raise money to follow her dream of moving to America.She started rapping at the age of 14 and even formed a group with two other girls. However, the group was eventually disbanded as the other members were not as serious as she was.Since the age of 11, she was drawn to hip-hop music. However, she felt alienated in her homeland as there was none to share her interests with. She made friends with Derek, a teenager from the Bahamas, whom she met online, and started sharing her rap songs with him for his inputs.Just before her 16th birthday, she convinced her parents for a holiday trip to America, and moved to Miami where Derek lived at that time. Soon after, she revealed to her family that she has decided to follow her music career there, and would not return to home. For six years, she illegally worked in the US without a work visa.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Iggy Azalea started her music career working with Backbone, a member of the hip-hop music group 'Dungeon Family' from Atlanta, Georgia. During this time, she met FKi and Natalie Sims, with whom she would collaborate in the future.In 2011, she released her first full-length mixtape 'Ignorant Art', after relocating to Los Angles the previous year. The music videos of her songs went viral and her album was praised for its aggressiveness.In 2012, after a brief stint as a model, she returned to the music sphere and sought help from Southern rapper T.I. for the release of her debut studio album, 'The New Classic'. However, the album was delayed after Interscope Records, which managed her at the time, objected to T.I.'s involvement in the project. She later released the album in April 2014 from Def Jam Recordings.To keep her fans occupied, she decided to release an EP titled 'Glory'. She included the single, 'Murda Bizness', which was originally for her debut album, in the EP and released another single, 'Millionaire Misfits', in June 2012.In October 2012, she released her second mixtape, 'TrapGold'. It was produced by Grammy-nominated producer Diplo and FKi.In November 2014, she reissued her album, 'The New Classic', with the title 'Reclassified'. The album contained five new songs, including 'Beg for It' and 'Trouble'.Her second studio album, 'Digital Distortion', was scheduled to release in July 2016. However, she delayed the release to 2017 due to her break up with her longtime boyfriend Nick Young.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- In 2011, Iggy Azalea shook up the music industry with her mixtape 'Ignorant Art'. She impressed the critics with her brashness and earned praise for her "raw statements".Iggy Azalea's debut studio album 'The New Classic' (2014) earned her multiple awards and nominations, including four Grammy Award nominations. The album contains her most successful single 'Fancy', which was her first single to reach the top spot on the Billboard 'Hot 100' and stayed there for seven weeks straight.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Awards & Achievements
- In 2012, Iggy Azalea was featured on XXL's 'Top 10 Freshman List'. She is the first female, as well as the first non-American rapper, to be featured on the list.She won her first award in 2014 from the American Music Awards. She was the most nominated artist of the event with nominations in six different categories. She won the awards for 'Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artist' and 'Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album'.She was also the most nominated artist in the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards, with eight nominations. She won an award along with Ariana Grande for 'Best Pop Video' for the single 'Problem'. She also won three Teen Choice Awards the same year.In 2015, Azalea was nominated for four Grammy Awards. The same year, she won the 'Favorite Hip-Hop Artist' at the 41st People's Choice Awards. She won three awards from twelve nominations at the 2015 Billboard Music Awards.She is the only singer besides 'The Beatles' to occupy the top two spots on the Billboard 'Hot 100' singles chart with first two entries. She reached the feat with 'Fancy', her chart-topping single from the album 'The New Classic' (2014), and 'Problem', her collaborative work with Ariana Grande.Personal Life & Legacy
- Iggy Azalea started dating American rapper A$AP Rocky in late 2011. She confirmed the relationship early next year and even got the title of Rocky's breakout mixtape 'Live. Love. A$AP' tattooed on her fingers. However, in July 2012, Rocky informed that they were no longer dating. Azalea later crossed out the 'A$AP' part of her tattoo.In November 2013, she got into a relationship with pro basketball player Nick Young. The couple lived together in Tarzana, California, for a while and also appeared together on the GQ magazine. They got engaged in June 2015, but a year later, Azalea confirmed that they have split.---- Teads ad -----She has publicly admitted to have gone through plastic surgery, even though she had initially decided not to discuss it. She mentioned that there are things about herself that she doesn't like but learned to accept, and there are things that she changed through surgery.Trivia
- Iggy Azalea's stage name is a combination of her pet dog's name, Iggy, and the name of the street she grew up on, Azalea Street. Her family back in Australia still lives there to this day.
AwardsPeople's Choice Awards
2015 Favorite Hip-Hop Artist Winner
How To CiteArticle Title- Iggy Azalea BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/iggy-azalea-29750.phpLast Updated- September 02, 2017
People Also Viewed