Hu Ge is a popular Chinese actor and singer. He started hosting television shows at the age of 14 and pursued a degree in acting from the prestigious Shanghai Theatre Academy. He first made it big with his award winning performance in the television serial ‘Chinese Paladin’. Since then he has made a number of spectacular appearances in varied roles on television as well as the big screen. Despite suffering a setback due to a serious car accident, he made a comeback to the delight of his fans. Besides acting, he has also sung for most of his movies. He was awarded the Outstanding Quality Star at the 2nd China Quality Television Drama Ceremony. Though he has dated a few of his co-stars, but he is yet to get into a serious relationship. His fans adore him and critiques respect him for his quality of work.
- Hu Ge was born on September 20, 1982 in Shanghai, China as Hu Ke. He is of Han Chinese ethnicity and also goes by the names of Hugh and Hugo. His ancestry can be traced back to Wuxi, Jiangsu, China.He attended Shanghai Xiang Elementary School and went on to complete his high school from Shanghai No 2 High School in 2001 from where he passed out with high grades. He excelled in extracurricular activities and learnt Performing Arts from Little Stars Performing Arts School run by the Shanghai Media Group (SMG).He hosted the popular television show ‘Sunrise Youth’ on the Shanghai TV Education Channel at the age of 14, when he was in high school. He also hosted a programme on East Radio Shanghai and appeared in a number of commercials to be able to be financially independent before finishing high school.After high school he enrolled at the prestigious Central Academy of Drama as well as Shanghai Theatre Academy and finally joined the latter for a degree in acting. While he was pursuing his degree he was introduced to Tangren Media Company for whom he did voice dubbing and a minor role in the movie ‘Pretend There’s No Feeling’.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Hu Ge got his first major break when he won the ‘Best Actor’ and ‘Actor With Most Potential’ awards at the 2nd Enlight Media Awards ceremony for his role as Li Xiaoyao in the television serial Chinese Paladin in 2005.After his initial success, he acted in a number of television serials and went on to star in the horror movie ‘The 601st Phone Call’ for which he won the Film Actor with Most Potential Award in 2006. He released his first EP ‘Treasure’ the same year.After taking a break for about a year to recover from a car accident, he returned as Guo Jing in the movie ‘The Legend of the Condor Heroes’ in 2008. He released his second album titled ‘Start’ and performed in his first solo concert in Shanghai that year.This was followed by his appearance in the serials ‘Chinese Paladin 3’ and ‘The Myth’ in 2009 -2010. His award winning performances in the serials boosted his popularity in China and the rest of Asia.Hu proved himself a versatile actor with varied roles in the modern drama ‘Bitter Coffee’, war drama ‘Shangri-la’ and historical film ‘1911’ for which he was awarded the Best New Actor at the 31st Hundred Flowers Awards in 2011.He has also written the script for the serial ‘Lights from the City’ and acted in four out of its 10 episodes. In 2013, he forayed into theatre and won over his fans with his award winning performances in the plays ‘A Dream like a Dream’ and ‘Forever Yin Xueyan’.His award winning performances continued with his appearance in a number of prime time television serials that made him one of the leading actors in the Chinese entertainment industry by 2017.Continue Reading BelowIn 2017, he announced his plans to take a break from his acting career to pursue further studies USA.His celebrity rating is amongst the highest in his country and he has endorsed a number of leading brands that include ‘Piaget’ and ‘Chanel’. He is also the brand ambassador for Shanghai Tourism and ‘Emporio Armani’ in China and Asia Pacific.Major Works
- His films include ‘Pretend there’s No Feeling’ (2002), ‘The Ghost Inside’ (2005), ‘The 601st Phone Call’ (2006), ‘The Butterfly Lovers’ (2008), ‘1911’ (2011), ‘Just Another Margin’ (2014) and ‘Cherry Returns’ (2016).Hu Ge has appeared in the television serials ‘Dandelion’ (2004), ‘Chinese Paladin’ (2005), ‘The Little Fairy’ (2006), ‘Till Death Do Us Apart’ (2006), ‘The Young Warriors’ (2006), ‘The Legend of the Condor Heroes’ (2008), ‘The Myth’ (2010), ‘Bitter Coffee’ (2010), ‘Xuan-Yuan Sward: Scar of Sky’ (2012), ‘Sound of the Desert’ (2014), ‘Nirvana in Fire’ (2015), ‘Go Goal! Fighting!’ (2016), ‘The Surgeons’ (2017) and ‘Game of Hunting’ (2017).His popular soundtracks are ‘June Rain’ from the album ‘Chinese Paladin’, ‘After Dawn’ from the album ‘The Little Fairy’, ‘Tell Him I Love Her’ from the album ‘The Young Warriors’, ‘Dark Clouds’ from the album ‘The Legend of the Condor Heroes’, ‘Endless Love’ from the album ‘The Myth’, ‘One Persistent Thought’ from the album ‘Scarlet Heart’, ‘Moving On’ From the album ‘Sound of the desert’ and ‘When the Wind Blows’ from the album ‘Nirvana in Fire’.Awards & Achievements
- For his performance in ‘Chinese Paladin’ and ‘Chinese Paladin 3’, he was awarded the Actor with the Most Potential and Most Popular Actor awards at the 2nd Enlight Media Chinese TV Drama Awards and Youku Television Awards ceremonies.He again won the Most Popular Actor as well as Best Actor awards at the 1st China Student Television Festival for his role in ‘The Myth’.Continue Reading BelowHe was judged the Most Popular Actor for his performance in ‘Unbeatable’ at the 3rd China TV Drama Awards.He won the Best Actor and Most Popular Actor awards for ‘Xuan-Yuan Sward: Scar of Sky’ in 2012.In 2013, he won the Best Actor Award for ‘A Dream Like A Dream’.The following year he again won the Most Popular Actor Award for his role in ‘Sounds of the Desert’ and ‘Life Revelations’.For his performance in ‘Nirvana in Fire’ he was recognised with the Best Actor Award, Most Marketable Actor and Grand Award for Best Performance at various award ceremonies.In 2017, he has been awarded the Outstanding Quality Star at the 2nd China Quality Television Drama Ceremony.Personal Life & Legacy
- Hu Ge dated actress Xue Jianing during his early career and had a brief relationship with Jiang Shuying, with whom he co-starred in ‘Go! Goal! Fighting!’.Presently, he is not in a serious relationship with anyone but has a number of close friends in the entertainment industry that include Wallace Huo, Eddie Peng and Tiffany Tang.He was involved in a major car accident in 2006 in which his co-passenger died. Hu had to undergo surgery and took a year to recover and get back to work. The incident had a deep impact on his personal life. He put down his thoughts and published a book titled ‘Scavenger of Happiness’ that traces his life from his child hood to stardom and the experience of the accident.Trivia
- Sources say that he is a lover of cats and has five cats in his house.His wax figure depicting his character in the television serial ‘Nirvana in Fire’ is displayed in the Madame Tussauds Museum, Shanghai.
How To CiteArticle Title- Hu Ge BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/hu-ge-34435.phpLast Updated- October 18, 2017
People Also Viewed