Hoda Kotb Biography
Sun Sign: Leo
Also Known As: Choda Kotb
Born Country: United States
Born in: Norman, Oklahoma
Famous as: Journalist, Author, TV Anchor
Spouse/Ex-: Burzis Kanga (m. 2005; div. 2008)
father: Abdel Kader Kotb
mother: Sameha Kotb
siblings: Adel (brother), Hala (sister)
Partner: Joel Schiffman (2013-present)
U.S. State: Oklahoma
awards: Peabody Award
Hoda Kotb is an American journalist, author, and television personality. She is best recognized for co-hosting NBC News’ morning show ‘Today.’ She is also known for serving as a correspondent for the news magazine program ‘Dateline NBC’. Born to Egyptian immigrants to America, Kotb feels privileged to have received a modern American upbringing. She graduated from Virginia Tech and began her career with CBS News in 1986. She then went on to work for WXVT in Greenville, Mississippi; WWL-TV in New Orleans, Louisiana; WQAD-TV in Illinois; WINK-TV in Fort Myers, Florida; and NBC. Kotb is also an author who has written a handful of books including her autobiography ‘Hoda: How I Survived War Zones, Bad Hair, Cancer, and Kathie Lee ’and ‘Where They Belong: The Best Decisions People Almost Never Made’. In 2007, she underwent a mastectomy as well as reconstructive surgery for breast cancer. The journalist is currently cancer-free and living a healthy life. On a personal note, she is in a relationship with New York financier Joel Schiffman. Kotb is also the mother of a girl named Haley Joy Kotb whom she adopted in 2017.
- Hoda Kotb started her journalism career in 1986 when she was chosen as a news assistant for CBS News. She then served as a general assignment reporter and anchor for WQAD-TV. Then after holding a job at WXVT-TV for a while, she joined WINK-TV Fort Myers, Florida as its weekend anchor and reporter. From 1992 to 1998, Kotb served as a reporter and anchor for WWL-TV in New Orleans, Louisiana. After this, she joined NBC as a national correspondent and has been working with the network till date.
- The journalist has also been serving as a correspondent for the network’s show Dateline NBC since 1998. From 2004 to 2008, she hosted a weekly syndicated series called ‘Your Total Health’. Kotb has been a co-host on the fourth hour of NBC’s ‘Today Show’ since 2007.
- She appeared in two episodes of ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit’ in 2014. Two years later, Kotb appeared as a celebrity judge on ‘Brothers Take New Orleans’. In 2017, she played Miss Sweetum in the children’s animated TV series ‘Mickey and the Roadster Racers’. Beginning in March 2017, she has been serving as a third co-anchor of ‘Today’ and occasionally fills in as the co-anchor for Savannah Guthrie and Matt Lauer.
- As an author, Hoda Kotb published her autobiography titled ‘Hoda: How I Survived War Zones, Bad Hair, Cancer, and Kathie Lee’ in October 2010. On January 15, 2013, she released her book titled ‘Ten Years Later: Six People Who Faced Adversity and Transformed Their Lives’. Then in 2016, the author’s third book came out under the name ‘Where They Belong: The Best Decisions People Almost Never Made’. Kotb released her fourth book titled ‘I've Loved You Since Forever’ in 2018.
- Hoda Kotb was born on August 9, 1964 in Norman, Oklahoma, the United States to Sameha and Abdel Kader Kotb. Her mother works at the Library of Congress while her father was a fossil energy specialist who died in 1986. Kotb has a brother named Adel and a sister named Hala. She studied at Fort Hunt High School and then attended Virginia Tech from where she received her B.A. degree in broadcast journalism in 1986.
- Coming to her love life, Kotb married Burzis Kanga, a former tennis coach at the University of New Orleans, in 2005. Their marriage ended in a divorce in the year 2008. In 2015, she disclosed that she was in a relationship with financier Joel Schiffman. In February 2017, she announced that she had adopted a baby girl named Haley Joy Kotb.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed