Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Dell, Wardell Stephen Curry I
Born in: Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA
Famous as: Former NBA Star
U.S. State: Virginia
education: Fort Defiance High School
Dell Curry (Wardell Stephen Curry I) is a former American basketball player who played in the National Basketball Association (NBA) franchisees from 1986 to 2002. Dell showed interest in sports from his childhood. While in school, he played both basketball and baseball. But he decided to make a career in basketball after tasting some success at school levels matches. After some success at college level teams at Virginia Tech, Dell entered NBA and played for multiple franchisees. He made his name as an outside shooting specialist. During his NBA career, he set an all-time scoring record for the NBA franchise ‘Charlotte Hornets’. He is happily married to his college mate and two of his children are current NBA players. Dell continues to be active in Basketball as a coach and commentator. He setup a charitable foundation which provides educational training and counselling for drug abuse.
- Dell Curry was born Wardell Stephen Curry I on July 25, 1964 in Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States. Most of his childhood was spent in Harrisonburg. Details of his parents are not known.Dell showed keen interest in sports from his childhood. He attended the Fort Defiance High School located in the town of Fort Defiance, Virginia.During his school days, Dell was more interested in sports than education. While in high school, he won the state championship in baseball and basketball. Dell used the barn of his coach to practice shooting every day.While still in high school, he was drafted by The Texas Rangers. He appeared in the 1983 and 1984 NIT tournaments and stood in the third place in 1984.After completing his school, Dell Curry attended the Virginia Tech where he became an all-time leader with a score of 1922.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- While at Virginia Tech, he played both Basketball and Baseball. But he focused on Basketball later in his career.After his junior year at the Virginia Tech, he was drafted for the Baltimore Orioles in the fourteenth round of the 1985 MLB (Major League Baseball) Draft.He finished his Virginia Tech career with a total of 2389 points and 295 steals and became an all-time leader in basketball. He was a star during his four years of study at Virginia Tech along with other contemporary stars like Perry Young, Keith Colbert, Bobby Beecher, and Al Young.Dell’s NBA career started when he was selected with the 15th overall pick by the Utah Jazz in the NBA Draft for the year 1986.Dell played just one season in Utah before getting traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers team in the year 1987. He spent the 1987-88 season playing for this team.For the 1988-89 season, Dell was selected for one of the two newest teams included for the 1988-89 season - Charlotte Hornets.Dell spent the next ten years in Charlotte. During games, he used to mostly come off the bench to provide instant offense. Dell still ranks among the best players of the franchise in statistics like total points earned, games played, goals made/attempted, and field goal percentage.Continue Reading BelowAfter Charlotte, Dell played one season for Milwaukee Bucks and three seasons for Toronto Raptors as well before retiring from the NBA.Dell had a career average of 11.7 points, 1.8 assists, and 2.4 rebounds, which in indeed an impressive record!Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Career After NBA
- Dell continued to be active in basketball even after retirement from the game. In 2007, Dell was appointed the assistant coach of NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats franchise. He resigned from this post before the start of the season due to personal reasons.Dell started working as a colour commentator for the Charlotte Hornets Franchise of NBA.Awards & Achievements
- Dell Was named as the Metro Conference Player of the Year for 1986.Dell won NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year award for the 1988-89 season after a long wait.In the year 2004, Dell was inducted into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame.At the time of retirement, Dell Curry had an all-time leading score of 9,839 points in the history of Charlotte Hornets.In the year 2016, Dell was awarded the Bobby Jones Award at the Athletes in Action All Star Breakfast. This award is given each year at the NBA All Star Weekend.Personal Life & Legacy
- Dell married Sonya Adams, a volleyball player at Virginia Tech. The couple has has three children.All the children of Dell have interest in sports. Dell’s eldest son, Stephen, is an NBA basketball player. He plays for the Golden State Warriors. His younger son plays for the Dalls Mavericks franchise. His daughter Sydel is a Volleyball player like her mother.In 1998, Dell established a charitable foundation called ‘Dell Curry Foundation’. The charitable foundation is a youth oriented foundation which provides educational training and drug abuse counselling.Trivia
- Dell Curry is ambidextrous. He could throw the basketball with both his hands. He mastered this skill when he was a child.
How To CiteArticle Title- Dell Curry BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/dell-curry-13146.phpLast Updated- August 04, 2017
People Also Viewed