Christen Press Biography
Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: Christen Annemarie Press
Born Country: United States
Born in: Los Angeles, California, United States
Famous as: Soccer Player
father: Cody Press
mother: Stacy Press
U.S. State: California
City: Los Angeles
education: Chadwick School, Stanford University
Christen Press is an American soccer player who is currently associated with the Utah Royals FC in National Women's Soccer League. She also plays for the United States women's national soccer team. Born to sportsmen, Press was inclined toward soccer at a young age and started playing at the school level. She was subsequently named her team’s captain and won two division titles for her school. Press was already making names with the litany of accolades she received. At the college level, she played for Stanford Cardinal and broke several records. She was also named the Soccer America Player of the Year during her senior year. Her club career, in the same vein, began on a high with magicJack and she also played with Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC AND Tyreso FF for a season each. She scored consistently and was ranked among the top players in the league. Later, she joined the Chicago Red Stars for three seasons and eventually was named the captain. She ended her contract with Chicago Red Stars in 2017 with 35 goals in 68 games. Apart from playing for clubs, Press has also been a part of the successful US Women’s Nation Soccer team that won the FIFA Women’s World Cup championship twice.
- Christen Press was born on 29 December, 1988 to Stacy and Cody Press in Los Angeles. Her parents were both sportspeople. While her father played American football, her mother played tennis. She has two sisters: Channing and Tyler, and she grew up in Palos Verdes.
- Christen Press attended Chadwick High School and was drawn to sports as early as when she was five. She started playing soccer and soon became the school’s team (Chadwick Dolphins) captain. During high school, she led her school to win two Southern Section Division IV titles.
- Her high-school career saw her scoring 128 goals and winning many accolades. She was named the NSCAA High School All-American, Southern Section Division IV Offensive Player of the Year twice, and Prep League Offensive MVP four times.
- Apart from playing for her school, Press played club soccer for the California team Slammers FC in Newport Beach. Under them, she won the Golden Boot for scoring the most number of goals at US Youth Soccer Association's national championship tournament.
- After joining college, she started playing for Stanford Cardinal at the college-career level. She broke many records and even won the Hermann Trophy in her senior year. With 71 goals, she is currently the all-time leading scorer for the Sandford Cardinal women’s soccer team.
- At the end of her college career, Christen Press was named the Soccer America Player of the Year as well as the Pac-10 Player of the Year. Her academic career was admirable as well, and she received the Pac-10 Scholar Athlete of the Year award, too.
- Christen Press began her club in 2011, when she was drafted to join Washington Freedom, which was renamed to magicJack. After an impressive start with several goals against Atlanta Beat and Boston Breakers, Press was awarded the Rookie of the Year title for her hat trick. She ended the season with 8 goals in 19 appearances.
- In 2012 for the next season, she joined Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC in Sweden. Toward the end of the season, Press was the second-highest scorer in the league with 17 goals in 21 appearances. She also played an important role in the finals of the Swedish cup, which her club eventually won.
- For the next season in 2013, Christen Press signed up with Tyreso FF in Stockholm. She continued her impressive streak for the third consecutive year and finished as the top scorer in the league with 25 goals in 26 appearances. The team also managed to reach the finals of the 2014 UEFA Women’s Champions League Final.
- In 2014, she signed up with Chicago Red Stars and continued playing for them until 2017. During her first season, she was awarded the Golden Boot for scoring six goals in twelve matches. Despite Chicago Red Stars finishing at fifth place, Christen Press was named to the second XI team by her peers.
- In the 2015 season, she started off brilliantly with a brace and an assist. She was subsequently named the NWSL Player of the Month. However, she missed over eight games because of the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
- In the 2016 season, she was named the team captain and ended the season with 8 goals in 14 games. However, her team faced an early exit. In the next season, she continued to lead her team and remained the top scorer of the team with 11 goals.
- At the end of the 2017 season, her team finished fourth in the league and reached the semifinals. However, she was traded off to Houston Dash in 2018, but Press declined joining the club as she had many other offers.
- She returned to Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC in March 2018 with a three-month contract. She ended up scoring four goals in three of her games, and she was named the Damallsvenskan Player of the Month. She ended her contract with the club early to join Utah Royals FC for the rest of the season.
- She debuted with Utah Royals FC in June 2018. She ended the season with 11 appearances and scored two goals. Her team finished fifth in the division and missed the playoffs. In 2019, she scored the goal in a match against Orlando Pride and was named to the NWSL Team of the Month.
- At the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup, Christen Press scored her first goal against Australia. She appeared in two of the seven games, and the U.S. reached the finals. At the finals, her team defeated Japan 5-2, thus winning the championship.
- Press was also part of the U.S women soccer team for the 2016 Summer Olympics. Her dazzling performance impressed many critics and sports fans alike. She was also a part of the winning team at the SheBelieves Cup in 2016 and 2018.
- At the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup, she made to the final roster and scored her first goal against England. The team advanced to the finals and Press achieved the feat of appearing in all seven games at the World Cup. The US defeated the Netherlands in the finals and won the trophy.
- Her most impressive achievement to date is winning the Golden Boot award when she played under Tyresö FF in 2013. She was the first American to earn this honor in the history of the Swedish League.
- Christen Press continues to maintain a very reserved stance about her personal life and has never commented about her relationships. However, it is rumored that she is currently dating Nima Majd, but neither of them has confirmed the speculations.
- Apart from her skills on the field, Press also has an impressive persona in front of the camera. She was the host for FOX Soccer’s digital series ‘The Buzzer’.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed