Charlie Puth Biography
Sun Sign: Sagittarius
Born in: Rumson, New Jersey, United States
Famous as: Singer
father: Charles Puth
mother: Debra Puth
siblings: Mikaela Puth, Stephen Puth
U.S. State: New Jersey
Charles Otto "Charlie” Puth is a popular American pop singer and songwriter. He started gaining fame by posting his original songs and covers to his YouTube channel. After his talents were exposed to the world he was signed in by Ellen DeGeneres for a record label, which led to the start of his official career. His debut studio album was released in January 2016 by the American record label Atlantic Records. Even though it received negative reviews from critics it peaked at number 6 on the Billboard 200 published by the ‘Billboard’ magazine. A deluxe edition was also released in November which contained three additional songs. Puth wrote, co-produced as well as sang the hook on Wiz Khalifa’s hip-hop anthem ‘See You Again,’ included in the soundtrack of the motion picture ‘Furious 7.’ It became a huge hit, reaching the No. 1 spot in nearly 90 countries worldwide. It also reached No. 1 on the US Billboard Hot 100, Shazam, iTunes and Spotify, undoubtedly becoming one of the most important works of his career. According to Puth, his family background is not wealthy and during his childhood his family had to struggle to make both ends meet. He has expressed gratitude to his parents who worked hard to help him pursue his musical goals. Being not only a vocalist but also a producer, a songwriter, and an instrumentalist, Puth is definitely a multitalented celebrity.
- Charlie Puth was born on 2 December 1991, in Rumson, New Jersey, in the United States. His mother is Debra, a music teacher who has also written commercials for HBO, and his father is Charles Puth, a builder and real estate agent. They have three children, Charlie being the oldest one.
- When he was only two years old, he survived a near fatal dog bite incident. However, his right eyebrow received a permanent scar.
- He attended the Holy Cross School and Forrestdale Middle School before he finally graduated from the Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School in 2010. During his school days he started playing the piano.
- Along with his regular schooling he attended the Manhattan School of Music Pre-College as a jazz piano major and a classical studies minor. With a major in music production and engineering, he finished his graduation in 2013 from the Berklee College of Music.
- According to Puth, he initially wanted to be a jazz player, but because of his parents who had an immense interest in pop, he started developing an interest in pop as well. He recorded and produced his own Christmas album when he was only in the sixth grade. By selling copies door to door in his town, he made $600, which he donated in the local church. Shortly after that, he started writing songs of his own and posted them to YouTube along with covers of other popular songs.
- He started his own channel in September 2009. It was called ‘Charlies Vlogs.’ He began by posting comedy videos with covers. His first music video was released in 2010. Later the same year, he released ‘The Otto Tunes’ his debut Extended Play.
- In 2011, he emerged victorious in an online video competition which was sponsored by the American TV personality Perez Hilton. His prize winning entry was a version of Adele's ‘Someone like You’ which he performed with Emily Luther.
- After enjoying Puth’s performance of ‘Someone like You’, Ellen DeGeneres announced that she had signed him to her label eleveneleven. This proved to be huge turning point in Charlie Puth’s career. It increased his fan base both online and offline, all over the world. According to Puth, it helped him reach a new level, which he thought was beyond him.
- His second Extended Play, ‘Ego’, was released in October 2013. He also wrote songs as well as singles for some of his fellow YouTube personalities.
- He signed with Atlantic Records in early 2015, after which his first song ‘Marvin Gaye’ was released. This song topped the charts in Australia, New Zealand, Ireland as well as the UK. Standing at number 21 on the US Billboard Hot 100, it became one of the most popular works in his career.
- He appeared in the music video ‘Dear Future Husband’ where he played the love interest of the reputed American singer Meghan Trainor. In the video they are shown meeting on an online dating service, following which Puth comes to Trainor’s home with a pizza. Trainor, who is impressed with Puth, invites him inside.
- His debut album ‘Nine Track Mind’ was released on January 29, 2016, though initially it was scheduled to be released on November 6, 2015. It received mostly negative reviews, but still it peaked at number 6 on the Billboard 200. One of its singles also topped the charts in various countries such as France and UK.
- Charlie Puth’s debut album ‘Nine Track Mind’ can be regarded as the most significant work of his career so far. It peaked at Number 6 on the US Billboard 200. The album’s lead single, ‘Marvin Gaye’ which was released in February 2015, proved to be a huge hit in several countries, standing at Number 21 on US Billboard Hot 100. Another single ‘One Call Away’ was also a huge hit. It stood at number 12 on the US Billboard Hot 100. However, despite its popularity, the album was mostly reviewed negatively by critics.
- Puth has worked in television as well. He did a minor role in the TV show ‘Undateable’ in 2016. The series is about the love and sex life of Danny Burton, a 34-year-old single and carefree guy. Puth appeared as himself in one of the episodes.
- In 2011, Charlie Puth won the Pop Crush Music Award for Best Cover Song for his work ‘Someone like You.’
- For his performance in ‘See You Again’, he received the Hollywood Music in Media Award for Song – Feature Film, as well as the Critics’ Choice Movie Award for Best Song in 2015. For the same work, he was also given the Billboard Music Award for Top Rap Song in 2016.
- Charlie Puth is currently single. He has been rumored to have dated several celebrities including the model Pritika Swarup, singer Meghan Trainor, and Hailee Steinfield.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed