Brittany Ashton Holmes Biography
Brittany became famous in a flash with the very first movie she was cast in. At the tender age of five she became a household name across the globe leaving an imprint on the hearts and minds of audiences. Her strength of character emanates from the confidence displayed in her interviews at the age of five. Everyone knows Brittany Ashton Holmes as ‘Darla’ from the 1994 feature film ‘The Little Rascals’ directed by Penelope Spheeris. This movie gave her stardom and instant recognition. She also appeared as Amy Carter in the 1996 film ‘Inhumanoid’. She did a few other roles in a few TV serials and commercials between the age of five and seven, and decided to quit acting and get on with life. She grew up to value education over the celluloid world and hence her silver screen presence has been short-lived. Currently, she has shown no inclination of getting back to acting and is pursuing a degree in political science.
- Holmes started her acting career as a child artist with her role as ‘Darla’ in the family comedy film ‘The Little Rascals’, based on Hal Roach’s ‘Our Gang’, in 1994. She was just five years old when she acted in the movie. Little Darla was one of the main characters, who is the apple of the eye of all the boys from the ‘He-Man Woman Haters Club’, including her co-star ‘Alfalfa’. In the movie, her cute looks are instrumental in allowing girls into the exclusive boys club.
- The movie was a great hit and Holmes became synonymous with Darla. This earned her ‘The Young Artist Award’ for ‘Best Performance by a Youth Ensemble’ in a motion picture. So it was not only her looks but also her talent that drew acclaim. The next year she got the roles of ‘Julie’ and ‘Dana’ in the TV serial episodes of ‘Ellen’ and ‘Red Shoe Diaries’ respectively. These TV serials were a departure from the family comedy, shifting focus towards adult viewership.
- In 1996, she appeared in the science fiction movie, ‘Inhumanoid’, crime drama, ‘Death Benefit’ and ‘Humanoids from the Deep’, which were low budget horror / science fiction movies. Her acting prowess gave her the opportunity to portray diverse roles displaying a wide-ranging capability while simultaneously targeting a varied viewership. From this centre-stage of theatrical life she took a break from acting and got down to studying for her degree in political science.
- Besides these few movies and TV serials she, also appeared in a few commercials, including those of Baby Guess and McDonald’s, where she is seen admiring a Happy Meal toy in the 1990s. 20 years on, the cast of ‘The Little Rascals’ had a reunion in 2014 which was organised by the production company 22 Vision. Holmes was initially reluctant to attend the event as she had had a clean break from acting. However, being a participative personality and affable in nature she didn’t want to be the odd one out. Upon seeing the response from other co-stars of the movie, she agreed to attend the reunion and took part in the photo shoot that portrayed the cast ’Then and Now’. They also recreated the movie poster and classic scenes of the movie together. Even today, she still has the cuteness of the child star that she was. However, her looks have changed a lot and she said that she was rather embarrassed to be associated with her child star days. She made an announcement that she has no intentions of getting back to her acting career and would prefer to continue with her studies and live a normal life.
- She has a modest following of 1,508 on Twitter and is not very active on social media. There are reports that she worked for Starbucks for a while and may be married. However, we may still have some surprises in store for us about what Brittany Ashton Holmes achieves during her lifetime.
- Brittany Ashton Holmes was born in California on February 27, 1989. She attended high school in Southern California, where she played soccer for her school team. Her parents recognised her talent for acting and encouraged her as a child artist. Her smile made her the darling of one and all. Her take on boys at that stage of innocent infancy was ‘yucky’. Yet her angelic charm was beguiling. Currently, she resides in Los Angeles where she is pursuing a degree in political science. Besides her academic career, one of her passions is travelling. She has not expressed any desire to carry on with her acting career and prefer to travel the world.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed