Brett Gray Biography
Brett Gray is an American actor who is best known for playing the character of ‘Jamal Turner’ in the Netflix original television series ‘On My Block’. Brought up in Philadelphia, Gray is known for his sporty nature as he himself has admitted to being raised in playgrounds as a young boy. After he started acting at a young age, Gray was encouraged by his family and friends to pursue a full-time career in acting. He acted in different stage plays in school and was praised for his humorous performances by many. Since his debut in the show business, Gray has appeared in three short films so far. He has also appeared in one episode of the crime thriller television series ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit’. He acted in one episode of the television series ‘Rise’ as well. Gray bagged the role of ‘Jamal Turner’ in the show ‘On My Block’ in 2018 and portrayed the character in all ten episodes of the series.
- As a kid, Brett Gray used to act in different plays in school. His humorous performances grabbed the attention of his fellow students and teachers. Due to their encouragement, he decided to pursue acting. To further motivate him, his mother took him to a theatre named New Freedom Theatre in Philadelphia.
- At the age of seven, Gray appeared in his first ever professional show at the Academy of Music. He enjoyed performing in the show so much that it was hard for the audience to judge whether he was the lead character or not. He began to appear regularly in the plays from then on.
- He appeared in three short films between 2015 and 2016. The first was ‘Tortoise’, an adventure comedy, directed by Gary Memi and written by Isaac Himmelman. The next one was ‘The Tale of Four’, a multilayered story based on ‘Four Women’ by Nina Simone. Gray appeared in the short film alongside Jacob Berger, Daniel G. Cunningham, and Dana Gourrier. He also appeared in the short film ‘Metrocard,’ another directorial venture by Gary Memi, which featured Jonathan Hansen and Kevin Rodriguez besides Gray.
- After appearing in a guest role in ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit’ in 2018, Gray was offered another guest role in ‘Rise’, the same year. He was finally offered a lead role in a television show through his agent. Gray was acting in a musical at the time when the chance to audition for the television series ‘On My Block’ came his way. He bagged the role of a nerd, ‘Jamal Turner’, a member of a group of four colored teenagers. He was part of the show’s lead cast for all the ten episodes that were aired on Netflix exclusively.
- Speaking about his character ‘Jamal’, Gray explained how tough it was for him to portray the character of a nerdy guy who has a cheeky sense of humor. The creator of the coming-of-age television series, Lauren Iungerich, helped him and the other lead actors, Sierra Capri, Jason Genao, Jessica Marie Garcia, Ronni Hawk and Diego Tinoco, grow into their characters as the show progressed. Gray’s character was much liked by the audience and his fan following on his social media accounts has been steadily growing since the series aired.
- Also interested in music, Gray released an extended play titled ‘Easy Daze’ on his birthday in 2018. The EP, according to him, talks about his heartbreaks and is a tribute to one of his favorite singers, Usher.
- Brett Gray was born on August 7, 1996, in Philadelphia, to Holly Gray. He has one brother.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed