Blake Shelton Biography
Sun Sign: Gemini
Also Known As: Blake Tollison Shelton
Born Country: United States
Born in: Ada, Oklahoma, United States
Famous as: Singer
Spouse/Ex-: Kaynette Gern (m. 2003 - div. 2006), Kaynette Williams (m. 2003–2006), Miranda Lambert (m. 2011–2015)
father: Richard Shelton
mother: Dorothy Shelton
siblings: Endy Shelton, Richie Shelton
Partner: Gwen Stefani (2015–)
U.S. State: Oklahoma
education: Ada High School
Blake Tollison Shelton is a well-known American singer-songwriter, and TV personality. Having released a total of 11 studio albums till date, he is one of the most successful singers in contemporary America. For his brilliant performances in the field of music and his work on television, he has received numerous awards and nominations. Shelton first came to prominence after the release of his debut single ‘Austin.’ Written by David Kent and Kirsti Manna, the song was released on April 2001. The song, which was about a woman trying to make contact with a former lover, gained huge popularity, peaking at number one on the ‘Billboard Hot Country Songs’ chart. The same year, his self-titled debut studio album also released, and peaked at number three on the ‘U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums.’ Over the next few years, Shelton released several albums, most of which went on to become huge hits. He is also known for his appearance as a judge on TV shows, such as ‘Nashville Star,’ ‘Clash of the Choirs,’ and ‘The Voice.’ In 2016, he played a voice role in the popular animated film ‘The Angry Birds Movie.’
- Blake Shelton was born on 18 June 1976, in Ada, Oklahoma, United States, to Dorothy, a beauty salon owner, and Richard Shelton, a used car salesman.
- He developed an interest in singing at an early age. By the time he was 12, he had learnt to play the guitar from his uncle. At 15, he wrote his first song. At the age of 16, he gained a lot of attention after winning the ‘Denbo Diamond Award,’ which is Oklahoma’s top award for young entertainers.
- After graduating from high school in 1994, Blake Shelton decided to pursue a full-time career in singing and songwriting. He wrote and sold songs to several music publishing houses. Soon, he landed a solo recording contract with ‘Giant Records.’
- He released his first song ‘Austin’ on April 2001. Featuring elements of blue-collar rock and country ballad genres, the single was a huge hit. Not only did it peak at number 18 on the ‘US Billboard Hot 100,’ it also spent five weeks at the number one position on the ‘Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks’ chart. The same year, his self-titled debut album, which was released by ‘Warner Bros,’ hit the charts.
- His second studio album ‘The Dreamer’ was released in 2003 by ‘Warner Bros Records.’ Its lead single ‘The Baby’ was a huge hit. Not only did it peak at the first position on the ‘US Country Charts,’ but it also held the position for two weeks. The album itself peaked at 28th position on the ‘US Billboard 200.’ It was a moderate success.
- In 2004, he released his third album ‘Blake Shelton’s Barn & Grill.’ With singles such as ‘Some Beach’ and ‘Nobody but Me,’ the album did fairly well, and peaked at the 20th position on the ‘US Billboard 200.’
- His subsequent albums ‘Pure BS’ (2007) and ‘Startin Fires’ (2008) were moderate successes. The former peaked at the eighth position on the ‘US Billboard 200,’ while the latter stood at 34th position.
- Shelton released several other albums throughout the next few years. These albums include ‘Red River Blue’ (2011), ‘Cheers, It’s Christmas’ (2012), ‘Based on a True Story’ (2013), and ‘Bringing Back the Sunshine’ (2014).
- He also played a supporting role in the American TV series ‘Malibu Country,’ which ran from November 2012 to March 2013. Along with his other TV appearances, he has also been a coach on ‘NBC’ network's ‘The Voice’ since its inception in 2011.
- Shelton’s tenth album ‘If I am Honest’ was released on May 2016. Debuting at number three on the ‘US Billboard 200,’ the album went on to become a massive success. It sold 153,000 copies within the first week of its release.
- On November 3, 2017, he released his eleventh studio album ‘Texoma Shore.’
- ‘Cheers, It’s Christmas,’ Blake Shelton’s seventh studio album, is among his important works. Released on October 2012, the album peaked at the eighth position on the ‘US Billboard 200.’ As of December 2016, it had sold 660,000 copies in the US. It included singles, such as ‘Jingle Bell Rock,’ ‘White Christmas,’ ‘Blue Christmas,’ ‘The Christmas Song,’ and ‘There’s a New Kid in Town.’
- ‘Based on a True Story,’ the eighth studio album by Shelton was released on March 2013. With hit singles, such as ‘Sure Be Cool If You Did,’ ‘Boys Round Here,’ and ‘Mine Would be You,’ the album became the ninth best-selling album of the year in the US. It did well in other countries as well, standing at third position in both ‘Australian Country Albums’ and ‘Canadian Albums.’ It is regarded as one of Shelton’s most important works.
- ‘Bringing Back the Sunshine,’ his ninth album was released on September 2014. With singles, such as ‘Neon Light,’ Lonely Night,’ and ‘Sangria,’ the album peaked at the first position on the ‘US Billboard 200.’ Within its first week, it had sold 101,000 copies in the US. The album stood at number four on ‘Canadian Albums.’
- ‘If I’m Honest,’ Blake’s tenth studio album, and one of his most successful works, was released on May 2016. With hit singles, such as ‘Straight Outta Cold Beer,’ ‘She’s Got a Way with Words,’ and ‘Came Here to Forget,’ the album peaked at the third position on the ‘US Billboard 200.’ It sold 153,000 copies within its first week. It performed well in other countries too, standing at number 13 at the ‘Australian Albums,’ and at number three at ‘Canadian Albums.’
- Blake Shelton has been nominated for 109 awards in his career till date, out of which he has won 99. His wins include five ‘Academy of Country Music Awards,’ eight ‘American Country Awards,’ 26 ‘American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) Awards,’ and 26 ‘BMI Country’ awards.
- In 2003, Blake Shelton married his long-time girlfriend Kaynette Gern. Shelton and Gern divorced three years later.
- He married singer Miranda Lambert in 2011. Unfortunately, this marriage too ended in a divorce in 2015.
- On November 2015, it was confirmed that he was dating singer, actor, and TV personality Gwen Stefani.
|2017||Favorite Male Country Artist||Winner|
|2017||Top Country Artist||Winner|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed