Ana Ularu Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Born Country: Romania
Born in: Bucharest, Romania
Famous as: Actress
father: Nicolae Ularu
mother: Mihaela Ularu
City: Bucharest, Romania
education: Caragiale Academy of Theatrical Arts and Cinematography
Ana Ularu is a Romanian actress and model, best known for her portrayal of Matilda in the movie 'Outbound' and that of West in the television series 'Emerald City'. She played the lead role in the movie 'Siberia' opposite Keanu Reeves. She is also known for her role as the assassin in Ron Howard's 'Inferno' starring Tom Hanks. She is relatively a small name in Hollywood but is well known in Romania and has acted in several Romanian movies including 'I am an old communist hag', 'Concluzie', and 'Italiencele'. She attracted media attention with her performance in ‘Outbound’ for which she won several awards. She is also an experienced theatre actress.
- Ana Ularu made her movie debut in a Romanian-French-German drama film, ‘Maria’, directed by Călin Peter Netzer. The movie, released in 2003, revolves around a woman named Maria who struggles to change her lifestyle to fit into a market economy. She went on to act in several Romanian movies including Italiencele (2004), Lost and Found (2005), and Hârtia va fi albastră (2006).
- In 2010, she was cast in the Romanian movie ‘Outbound’ directed by Bogdan George Apetri. The movie is centered on the character Matilda who is haunted by her past and has to overcome challenges to gain freedom. Her performance in ‘Outbound’ won her several awards including the best actress from the Romanian Union of Filmmakers.
- After her success in ‘Outbound’ she went on to do several movies including ‘Werewolf: The Beast Among Us’ ( 2012), Sunt o babă comunistă (I Am An Old Communist Hag) (2013) and Serena (2014). She has acted in over 30 short films, TV films, TV series and feature films. She acted in local films by the Romanian New Wave directors, such as Cãlin Peter Netzer, Cristian Mungiu and Radu Muntean. Besides, she was also part of international productions by Academy Award winners Francis Ford Coppola, Susanne Bier and Ron Howard.
- In 2016, she was cast in the film adaptation of ‘Inferno’ written by Dan Brown. The movie is about a Harvard Biologist Robert Langdon who tries to stop a deadly virus that could affect the reproductive capability in human beings. Even though the movie reviews were not that great, her performance in the movie as the female contract killer, Vayentha, was highly appreciated. In 2017, she portrayed the character West in the fantasy TV series ‘Emerald City’. The story takes place in the land of Oz where she plays one of the cardinal witches who is often ill-treated by her sister Glinda and needs to get high on opium to find relief. In 2018, she was seen opposite Keanu Reeves in the movie ‘Siberia’.
- Ana Ularu was born on June 26, 1985, in Bucharest, Romania. She began acting at the age of nine, which led to a couple of roles in 1995. However, she took a break afterwards to continue her education. She acted again in 2002 in a theatrical version of Lolita where she played Dolores Haze. She is currently single. She can speak Romanian, English, French and Spanish fluently.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed