1999 - MTV Movie Award for Best Comedic Performance
2000 - MTV Movie Award for Best Comedic Performance
2011 - Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Screenplay
Adam Sandler is an American actor and comedian known for his roles in films like ‘Punch-Drunk Love’ and ‘The Wedding Singer’. A versatile personality, he is also a screenwriter, film producer, and musician. Along with his feature films that combined together have grossed over $2 billion at the box office, he has also released five comedy albums in his career, two of which were certified double-platinum. He was inclined towards comedy from a young age and earned himself the title of the class clown as a school student. However, it was his brother who spotted his potential and encouraged him to take up comedy on a professional level. He took acting classes after high school and graduated from the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University. Early on in his career, he ventured into television and became a regular on a MTV game show. Soon he was selected as a cast member on ‘Saturday Night Live’ (SNL) following which he became a popular comedian. He forayed into films as well and found considerable success as a comedian. Taking forward his professional successes, he founded his own film and television production company ‘Happy Madison Productions’ that has produced numerous films. He is also well known for his donations to charitable causes.
- Adam Richard Sandler was born on September 9, 1966, in Brooklyn, New York, U.S. to Judy and Stanley Sandler. His mother was a nursery school teacher while his father worked as an electrical engineer. He is the youngest of the couple’s four children.He attended Manchester Central High School where he earned the reputation of being the class clown. His brother spotted his talent and encouraged him to perform at a stand-up comedy club in Boston. Motivated to pursue a career in show business, the young man took classes at the Lee Strasberg Theater & Film Institute in New York City after high school.He proceeded to attend the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University, graduating in 1988 with a bachelor’s degree in acting.Career
- One of Adam Sandler’s first television appearances was on ‘The Cosby Show’ in the late 1980s in which he appeared as a friend of the Huxtable family. He also became a regular on the MTV game show ‘Remote Control’. During this period he continued performing stand-up comedy as well and caught the attention of comedian Dennis Miller who recommended him to the staff of ‘Saturday Night Live’ (SNL).He was employed as a writer on SNL in 1990. Soon he started making occasional appearances on the comedy show and became a cast member. He remained with the show for five years, gaining much popularity for his juvenile, oddball antics.Even though he had started appearing in films during the late 1980s, it was only during the 1990s that he started receiving recognition for his movies. He appeared in the film ‘Coneheads’ with Chris Farley, David Spade, and others in 1993. In 1994, he co-starred in ‘Airheads’ with Brendan Fraser and Steve Buscemi.His successful string of films continued into the late 1990s and he received much acclaim for his role as an unsuccessful ice hockey player who discovers a talent for golf in the comedy film ‘Happy Gilmore’ in 1996. He followed it up with other comedic roles such as his portrayal of a singer in ‘The Wedding Singer’ (1998).He furthered his career by founding his own company ‘Happy Madison Productions’ in 1999. He has since produced many films under the banner, the first one being fellow SNL alumnus Rob Schneider's film ‘Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo’. Sandler is known for frequently casting fellow SNL performers in various roles in his films.During the 1990s he also made a series of comedy albums: ‘They're All Gonna Laugh at You!’ (1993), ‘What the Hell Happened to Me?’ (1996), ‘What's Your Name?’ (1997), and ‘Stan and Judy's Kid’ (1999). Two of these albums were certified double platinum.Adam Sandler co-starred with Don Cheadle, and Jada Pinkett Smith in the 2007 drama film ‘Reign Over Me’ which was about a man who loses his wife and children in the terrorist attacks of September 2001 and is helped by an old friend in his recovery from the trauma.In 2011, he shared the screen space with Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Kidman, Nick Swardson and Brooklyn Decker in the romantic comedy ‘Just Go with It’. The movie was panned by the critics but was very well received by the fans. It was a big commercial hit, grossing over $214 million.In 2014, he once again proved his mettle in comedy with the role of Jim Friedman in the movie ‘Blended’. He portrayed the character of a widower with three young daughters who falls in love with a divorcee with two sons. The film was a box office success even though it received negative reviews from critics.Major Works
- Adam Sandler’s portrayal of an aspiring ice hockey player who possesses a powerful and dangerous slapshot in the sports comedy film ‘Happy Gilmore’ earned him much acclaim. The film received mixed reviews but was a commercial success. The screenplay was written by Sandler and Tim Herlihy.Sandler’s movie ‘Funny People’ is another one of his memorable successes. He co-starred with Seth Rogen, and Leslie Mann in the comedy-drama film which received generally positive reviews, with critics praising the script and Sandler’s performance in particular.Philanthropic Works
- Adam Sandler made a $1 million donation to the Boys and Girls Club in Manchester, New Hampshire, in 2007.Awards & Achievements
- In 2002, he won the Gijón International Film Festival Best Actor award for ‘Punch-Drunk Love’.In 2014, he was named Male Star of the Year at the CinemaCon Awards.He is also the recipient of several People's Choice Awards including Favorite Comedic Movie Actor for four consecutive years from 2012 to 2015.Personal Life & Legacy
- Adam Sandler married actress Jacqueline Samantha Titone in 2003. The couple is blessed with two daughters, namely, Sadie and Sunny Madeline.Net Worth
- Adam Sandler has an estimated net worth of $360 million.
How To CiteArticle Title- Adam Sandler BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/adam-sandler-582.phpLast Updated- July 21, 2017
People Also ViewedAlso Listed In20th Century | 21st Century | 20th Century Film & Theater Personalities | 20th Century Actors | 20th Century Comedians | 21st Century Film & Theater Personalities | 21st Century Actors | 21st Century Comedians | 20th Century American Film & Theater Personalities | 20th Century American Actors | 21st Century American Film & Theater Personalities