Varun Dhawan Biography
Girlfriend: Natasha Dalal
Sun Sign: Taurus
Born Country: India
Born in: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Famous as: Actor
father: David Dhawan
mother: Karuna Dhawan
siblings: Rohit Dhawan
City: Mumbai, India
education: H.R. College of Commerce and Economics, Nottingham Trent University, Bombay Scottish School, Mahim
awards: 2013 · Student of the Year - Stardust Award for Breakthrough Performance – Male
2013 - STAR Parivaar Award for Favourite Beti
2017 · Badrinath Ki Dulhania - Zee Cine Award for Best Actor – Male
2015 · Main Tera Hero - Guild Award for Best Actor in a Comic Role
2014 · Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania - Stardust Award for Best Actor in a Comedy or Romance
2015 · Dilwale; ABCD 2; Badlapur - Stardust Award for Entertainer of the Year
2015 · Badlapur - BIG Star Most Entertaining Actor in an Action Role
2015 · Badlapur - BIG Star Most Entertaining Actor in a Thriller Film - Male
2017; 2015 · Dishoom; Main Tera Hero - IIFA Award for Best Performance in a Comic Role
2016 - Stardust Award for Best Superstar of Next Gen
2017; 2016 · Badrinath Ki Dulhania; Dishoom - Screen Award for Best Comedian
Varun Dhawan is a popular Indian actor best known for his role in the crime thriller ‘Badlapur.’ He is the son of renowned filmmaker David Dhawan who has directed hit films, such as 'Bade Miyan Chote Miyan' and 'Mujhse Shaadi Karogi.' Born in Mumbai, India, Varun began his career as an assistant director in the film 'My Name is Khan.' He made his acting debut, playing one of the main roles in the romantic comedy 'Student of the Year.' The film was a huge commercial success, and it earned Dhawan a ‘Filmfare’ nomination for ‘Best Male Debut.’ His popularity increased with his appearance in the film 'Main Tera Hero.' In the film, he portrayed a spoilt young guy who relentlessly pursues a girl in his college. The film did well commercially. The following year, he received a ‘Filmfare’ nomination for ‘Best Actor’ for his role in the crime thriller 'Badlapur.' The film can be considered as his best work so far. He was then seen in the comedy film 'Judwaa 2' where he played dual role. Apart from acting, Dhawan has also hosted award ceremonies. In his career so far, he has won several awards, such as the 'International Indian Film Academy Award' for his comic role in the film 'Main Tera Hero.'
- Varun Dhawan was born on 24 April 1987, in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. His father David Dhawan is a renowned film director. His mother’s name is Karuna Dhawan. He has an elder brother Rohit who is a film director.
- Dhawan studied at the ‘H.R. College of Commerce and Economics,’ after which he went to the ‘Nottingham Trent University’ from where he received a degree in Business Management. Before beginning his acting career, he worked as an assistant director under Karan Johar in his film ‘My Name is Khan.’
- Varun Dhawan made his acting debut with a lead role in the 2012 romantic comedy film 'Student of the Year.' Directed by Karan Johar, the film revolved around three friends competing to win an annual school championship. It became one of the highest-grossing Bollywood films of the year. Dhawan received a ‘Filmfare’ nomination for ‘Best Male Debut’ for his role.
- He was next seen in the 2014 comedy film 'Main Tera Hero' where he played the lead role. The film was directed by his father David Dhawan. The film revolved around the adventures of a mischievous young guy. The film did well commercially and met with mixed reviews. The same year, he also played the lead role in the movie 'Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania.' It became one of the highest-grossing films of the year. It received mixed reviews from critics.
- In 2015, he played the lead role in the crime thriller film 'Badlapur.' In the film, which was directed by Sriram Raghavan, Dhawan portrayed a man seeking revenge for the death of his family. The film did well commercially. It earned him a ‘Filmfare’ nomination for ‘Best Actor.’ He then played a main role in the film 'ABCD 2.' Like all his previous films, this film too was a commercial success.
- He was then seen alongside popular actor Shahrukh Khan in the 2015 romantic action film 'Dilwale.' The film was directed and co-produced by Rohit Shetty. The film was a huge commercial success, grossing nearly Rs. 400 crore. It is one of the highest-grossing Indian films of all time. The film received mixed reviews.
- Varun Dhawan then played the lead role in the 2016 Indian action comedy 'Dishoom!' Directed by Rohit Dhawan, the film revolved around two officers searching for an Indian cricket player who goes missing. The film was a commercial success.
- He was next seen in the 2017 romantic comedy 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania.' The film was directed by Shashank Khaitan. It was a huge commercial success.
- Dhawan was seen in the film ‘Judwaa 2’ where he played a dual role. The film was directed by his father David Dhawan and is a reboot of the 1997 film ‘Judwaa.’ The film also starred Jacqueline Fernandez, Taapsee Pannu, Anupam Kher, Sachin Khedekar, Prachi Shah, Rajpal Yadav, and Zakir Hussain. The story revolved around the adventures of twin brothers separated at birth. The film was a huge commercial success.
- In 2018, he was seen in the movie ‘October.’ The same year, he was also seen in the comedy-drama film ‘Sui Dhaaga’ alongside Anushka Sharma.
- He portrayed the role of ‘Zafar’ in the 2019 film ‘Kalank.’ The same year, he was cast to play ‘Raju’ in the comedy film ‘Coolie No. 1.’ The following year, he was seen playing ‘Sahej’ in Remo D'Souza's musical dance drama film ‘Street Dancer 3D.’
- Varun Dhawan gained prominence for his role in the 2014 romantic comedy ‘Main Tera Hero.’ Directed by his father David Dhawan, the film revolved around the adventures of a mischievous young guy, portrayed by Dhawan. The film also starred actors like Nargis Fakhri, Ileana D’Cruz, Anupam Kher, Arunoday Singh, and Rajpal Yadav. The film was a commercial success, grossing more than Rs. 78 crore against a budget of Rs. 41 crore. The film won Dhawan an ‘IIFA Award’ for ‘Best Performance in a Comic Role.’
- His performance in the thriller film ‘Badlapur’ is considered his best performance so far. The film, directed by Sriram Raghavan, saw him playing a man who seeks revenge after losing his family. The film also starred Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Huma Qureshi, Yami Gautam, and Divya Dutta. The film was a commercial success, earning around three times its budget. It earned a ‘Filmfare’ nomination for ‘Best Film.’ It also earned Dhawan a ‘Filmfare’ nomination for ‘Best Actor.’
- He played an important role in the 2015 romantic action film ‘Dilwale.’ Directed and co-produced by Rohit Shetty, the film starred Shahrukh Khan, Kajol, Kriti Sanon, Boman Irani, and Johnny Lever. The film was a huge commercial success. It received mixed reviews from critics. The story revolves around the lives of two brothers, Raj and Veer, and shows how they get involved in the world of crime.
- Varun Dhawan’s performance in the film ‘Student of the Year’ won him the ‘Lions Gold Award’ for ‘Favorite Debut (Male)’ and ‘Stardust Award’ for ‘Breakthrough Performance – Male’ in 2013.
- He won the ‘Stardust Award’ for ‘Best Actor – Comedy/Romance’ for his performance in the film ‘Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania’ in 2015.
- His role in ‘Main Tera Hero’ won him a ‘Star Guild Award’ and ‘IIFA Award’ in 2015.
- He won two ‘BIG Star Entertainment Awards’ in 2016 for his role in the film ‘Badlapur.’ For his work in ‘Dishoom,’ he won a ‘Star Screen Award’ in 2017.
- Varun Dhawan is in a relationship with a designer named Natasha Dalal.
- Varun Dhawan is the only actor in the history of Bollywood to have nine successive commercially successful films from the beginning of his career.
Varun Dhawan Movies
1. Badrinath Ki Dulhania (2017)
(Drama, Comedy, Romance)
2. October (2018)
3. Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania (2014)
(Comedy, Drama, Romance)
4. Student of the Year (2012)
(Drama, Romance, Comedy)
5. Badlapur (2015)
(Crime, Thriller, Action, Drama)
6. Main Tera Hero (2014)
(Action, Romance, Comedy)
7. Any Body Can Dance 2 (2015)
(Musical, Biography, Drama)
8. Sui Dhaaga: Made in India (2018)
(Family, Music, Drama, Romance)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed