Tiffany Tang Biography
Tang Yan, more famous by her English name Tiffany Tang, is an accomplished Chinese actress whose successful acting career and popularity earned her the names "1 billion queen" and “Ratings Queen”. She won the Top Champion award at the 3rd "Shulei Century Star" competition and was also chosen by director Zhang Yimou among the 14 "Olympic Babies" to perform during the closing ceremony of the 2004 Summer Olympic Games held in Athens. A graduate from the Central Academy of Drama, she forayed into acting in both films and television and eventually became a popular and in-demand TV actress. She is noted for her brilliant performances in several TV series like ‘The Princess Weiyoung’, ‘Lady & Liar’, ‘My Sunshine’ and ‘Chinese Paladin 3’. She is presently counted among the highest paid small-screen actresses in China. Her debut film ‘Farewell for Love’ earned her the Best Actress nomination at the 2007 Shanghai Television Festival. Her notable films include ‘The Storm Warriors’ and ‘For Love or Money’. She has set up her own studio ‘Tang Yan Studio’ after leaving Orange Sky Entertainment Group in mid-2012.
- Tang Yan was born on December 6, 1983, in Shanghai, China. She is from Ningbo, Zhejiang, China ancestry.
- Tang showed keen interest in modelling and acting from an early age. She participated in the 3rd ‘Shulei Century Star’ competition in 2001 and earned the Top Champion" award.
- In 2004, she was chosen by accomplished Chinese filmmaker Zhang Yimou as one of the fourteen "Olympic Babies" which saw her performing at the closing ceremony of Summer Olympic Games held that year in Athens.
- She completed her graduation from the Central Academy of Drama in 2006.
- She made her acting debut in 2006 with the television series ‘Feng Man Lou’ where she essayed the role of Zhou Yutong.
- In 2007, she featured in two television series namely ‘The Story of Zhen Guan’ and ‘Spring Comes Early in Grassland’. That year she also appeared in two music videos of Taiwanese singer and actor Richie Jen titled ‘Zhu Xian I Come Back’ and ‘Zhu Xian Love’. The ensuing years saw her feature in music videos of several other artists.
- She also made her big screen debut in 2007 with the film ‘Farewell for Love’ that earned her a Best New Actress nomination at the 10th Beijing College Student Film Festival and Best Actress (Film) award at the 13th Shanghai Television Festival.
- Her real breakthrough came in 2009 when she appeared in the starring role of Zi Xuan in the television series ‘Chinese Paladin 3’ adapted by ‘Chinese Entertainment Shanghai’ from the video game bearing same title.
- She not only earned praise for the excellent on-screen chemistry opposite Wallace Huo in ‘Chinese Paladin 3’ but also won the Most Anticipated Young Actress award at the 2nd Beijing TV Station Award in 2009 for the role.
- She appeared as Chu Chu in the Pang brothers directed and produced Hong Kong wuxia fantasy film ‘The Storm Warriors’. The film released on December 10, 2009 and grossed US$5,668,356 at the box office.
- In 2010, she remained one of the main cast members of the Taiwanese action crime sci-fi television series ‘Pandamen’ starring along with Jay Chou who also directed the series. That year she also featured in TV series ‘Lightning Marriage’ and ‘Dream to be Honorable 1942’.
- Her next notable role was that of Xia Tianmei in the series ‘My Daughter’ (2011) that not only upped her popularity but also won her Most Popular Actress (Mainland) award at the 3rd China TV Drama Awards and the Most Popular Mainland Actress award at the 2nd LeTV Awards in 2011.
- Continuing with other TV series and an internet movie ‘Finding Love’ (2012), Tang essayed the starring role of Dugu Ningke, princess of Sui Dynasty, in the Chinese Wuxia Romance Fantasy Adventure TV series ‘Xuan-Yuan Sword: Scar of Sky’ (2012) an adaptation of the popular Chinese role-playing game Xuan-Yuan Sword.
- ‘Xuan-Yuan Sword: Scar of Sky’ became a huge success breaking record to become the highest rated weekly broadcast drama and also garnered 2 billion views online. It fetched Tang Most Popular Actress (Mainland) award at the 3rd LeTV Awards in 2012.
- She appeared as Yu Qilin opposite ‘Chinese Paladin 3’ co-star Wallace Huo in the Chinese romantic comedy historical TV series ‘Perfect Couple’. It aired on Shenzhen TV and Jiangsu TV from April 21, 2014 to July 10, 2014.
- ‘Perfect Couple’ topped online broadcast views. It not only bolstered the rising popularity of Tang but also earned her Most Popular Actress award at the 5th China Student Television Festival; the Best Couple award shared with Wallace Huo at the 6th China TV Drama Awards; and the Most Appealing Actress award at the Wyndham Xingyue Role Model Ceremony in 2014.
- The November 2014 Chinese romance film ‘For Love or Money’ where she essayed the role of Ming Zhen won her Best Supporting Actress award at the 3rd China International Film Festival London in 2015.
- In 2015, she featured in starring roles in several high rated Chinese series. These included ‘My Sunshine’, ‘Legend of Fragrance’, ‘Lady & Liar’, ‘The Lost Tomb’ and ‘Diamond Lover’. Of these ‘My Sunshine’ earned her Audience's Favourite Character award at the 7th China TV Drama Awards and the Best Actress (Contemporary) award at the 17th Huading Awards that year.
- Such successful array of TV series not only helped her win the crown of "Golden Eagle Goddess" at the 11th China Golden Eagle TV Art Festival but also garner the nickname "1 billion queen". She also won the Actress with the Most Media Influence award at the 7th China TV Drama Awards.
- Her next notable TV series was the historical romance drama ‘The Princess Weiyoung’ (2016) where she played the title role of Li Weiyoung (Feng Xin'er). The series became a huge success with around 18 billion online views.
- 'The Princess Weiyoung’ was successful in positioning itself among the top ten highest rated television dramas of 2016. It not only furthered Tang’s rising fame but also led her bag several awards including Best Actress award at the 22nd Huading Awards in 2017.
- While making a mark in the television industry, Tang continued to win over the audiences with some of her remarkable big screen performances. These include starring roles in films like ‘MBA Partners’, ‘Bounty Hunters’ and ‘A Chinese Odyssey Part Three’ in 2016 and ‘Cook Up a Storm’ in 2017.
- Her upcoming projects include Hong Kong action thriller film ‘Europe Raiders’ and two TV series ‘See You Again’ and ‘The Way We Were’.
- She was romantically associated with Taiwanese actor Roy Chiu for some time. Their breakup was later confirmed by Tang in early 2013.
- She is presently in a relationship with Chinese film and television actor Luo Jin. The couple confirmed the relationship on December 6, 2016.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed