Stefflon Don Biography
Stefflon Don is a British singer, songwriter, and rapper, whose real name is Stephanie Victoria Allen. She rose to fame with a single called ‘Hurtin’ me’ that featured rapper French Montana. The singled earned the seventh spot on the UK Singles Chart. She was also the first ever British female entrant in XXL’s annual ‘Freshman List’. She has been singing from an early age with her siblings. She had recorded a hook, ‘Hard Knock Life’, for a rapper named Unique. However, the song was never released. Stefflon Don is fluent in English, Dutch, and Jamaican Patois. She has released two mixtapes, many singles, and also made guest appearances in various songs. She is dating Afrobeats star Burna Boy. Before actively pursuing music, she worked as a cake decorator and a hairdresser.
- Stefflon Don first entered the music industry by releasing the cover of Wretch 32’s song, ‘Six Words’, and Section Boyz’s song ‘Lock Arff’ by Section Boyz. She went on to feature in other tracks by prominent artists like Sneakbo’s ‘Work’, Lethal Bizzle’s ‘Wobble’ and Angel’s ‘Hop On’. She even made an appearance – her first one – in Jeremih’s track, ‘London’. Later, Jerimih made an appearance in Stefflon Don’s track, ‘Tight Nooki’.
- Later in 2016, Stefflon Don released a mixtape called ‘Real Ting’. The title of the mixtape by the same name garnered a strong viewership on Youtube, reaching millions of views. The popularity of the song caught the eye of record labels, and she eventually signed a deal in March 2017 with 54 London, a subsidiary label of Universal. Stefflon Don claimed that 54 London was created just for her.
- On August 15, 2017, she released ‘Hurtin' Me’, the lead song of her new Extended Play record (EP), where she collaborated with rapper French Montana. The EP was later released on January 12, 2018.
- In March 2018, she featured with American rapper Big Sean on singer Halsey’s track, Alone. The song earned her the first entry on the Billboard Hot 100, with the song reaching the 66th spot. The song also helped her debut as the leader in the Dance Club Songs chart.
- Under 54 London, she released another mixtape titled ‘SECURE’ on August 18, 2018. Various artists such as DJ Khaled, Fekky, Sizzla, Future, Sean Paul, and Ebenezer made guest appearances in different songs of the mixtape. The lead single of the tape, ‘Senseless’, peaked at 63 on the UK Singles Chart.
- In March 2019, she was a part of Mariah Carey’s album, ‘Caution’, where she appeared in the remix of the song, ‘A No No’.
- Five-year-old tweets of C Don came under harsh criticism in 2018. The rapper in 2013 had tweeted: “Don’t act like if god gave you a choice you wouldn't change your colour lool.” The tweets were widely circulating on the internet in 2018. On January 28, 2018, Don posted an apology saying “sorry if anyone was offended,” after first denying she had posted anything related to the issue.
- Later, after the cover of ‘SECURE’ was leaked online, rapper Foxy Brown, who Stefflon Don regards as her family, blocked her on Instagram. The cover of the album was inspired by one of Don’s longtime influences Lil’ Kim. In the artwork, Don paid homage to Lil’ Kim’s second studio album ‘The Notorious K.I.M’.
- Stefflon Don was born Stephanie Victoria Allen in Birmingham, England, on December 14, 1991. She has six siblings and is of Jamaican descent. At an early age of five, she moved with her family to Rotterdam, The Netherlands. However, she moved back to London at the age of 14 to pursue her studies.
- She studied at Thomas Moore Comprehensive in Hackney, North London. Upon completing her post-graduation, she worked as a hairdresser and cake decorator.
- She is fluent in English, Dutch, and Jamaican Patois and had been rapping at an early age in studios in The Netherlands with her siblings.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed