Nationality: South Korean
Sun Sign: Sagittarius
Also Known As: Lee Seung-hyun, V.I
Born Country: South Korea
Born in: Gwangju, South Korea
Famous as: Singer
father: Lee Yeon-jin
mother: Kang Hyun-sook
siblings: Lee Hanna
City: Gwangju, South Korea
education: Chung-Ang University
Lee Seung-hyun, popularly known by his stage name Seungri, is a well-known South Korean singer, songwriter, and actor. He gained prominence as a member of the popular boy band 'Big Bang.' With the release of several studio albums, the band gained huge popularity worldwide, and is one of the best-selling boy bands in the world. Seungri started hogging the limelight as a singer after the release of his band's second album 'Remember.' The album not only helped the band gain recognition, but also won them the 'Seoul Music Award.' Seungri's single ‘Strong Baby’ also received much appreciation. Also an actor, he made his debut with the musical ‘Sonagi.’ Later, he made his film debut with a main role in the film 'Nineteen.' In the film, he portrayed a 19-year-old boy who is accused of a murder. He also played an important role in the TV series 'Angel Eyes.' As a solo artist, Seungri has released two extended plays, 'VVIP' and 'Let's Talk About Love.' Both the EPs were major hits.
- Lee Seung-hyun was born on 12 December 1990, in Gwangju, South Korea. He developed a passion for dancing at an early age.
- As a young boy, he appeared in the reality TV show 'Let's Coke Play! Battle Shinhwa' which helped him enter the entertainment industry. Thanks to his appearance in the show, he was invited to audition for the boy band 'Big Bang.'
- Seungri got selected for ‘Big Bang’ along with fellow members G-Dragon, T.O.P, Taeyang, and Daesung. Shortly after the band’s formation, their first studio album ‘Big Bang Vol.1- Since 2007' was released in 2006. It contained Seungri's first solo song ‘The Next Day.’
- The following year, the group released their first extended play 'Always.' The song 'Lies' became a huge hit and topped many charts for weeks. The band eventually won the 'Song of the Year' award at the 9th ‘Mnet Korean Music Festival’ for the song.
- After the success of their first EP, Seungri and his band members began to work on their second EP. Their second EP ‘Hot Issue’ was released in November 2007.
- The band’s popularity grew with the release of their third EP ‘Stand Up.’ The single 'Day by Day' became a huge hit, becoming one of the band's most popular singles.
- In 2008, Seungri also began his acting career with a role in the musical ‘Sonagi.’ The same year, the band also released their second album ‘Remember.’ It was a huge success, and won ‘Big Bang’ the ‘Seoul Music Award.’
- In 2009, Seungri made his film debut, playing a main role in the South Korean-Japanese film ‘Nineteen.’ He also appeared in the film ‘Why Did You Come to My House?’
- In order to make a name for himself as a solo artist, Seungri released his first solo EP ‘VVIP’ in 2011. It had two singles ‘VVIP’ and ‘What Can I Do.’ Meanwhile, he also played minor roles in several TV shows, such as ‘Haru’ (2010) and ‘Lights and Shadows’ (2011).
- In 2013, he released his second solo EP ‘Let’s Talk About Love.’ It was a huge success and topped multiple charts. The following year, he played a significant role in the TV series ‘Angel Eyes.’ The show was an average success. It was nominated for multiple awards, out of which it won one.
- The band’s third studio album ‘Made’ was released in 2016. It was a commercial success. It reached the 172nd position on the ‘US Billboard 200.’ It also topped several charts. The same year, a documentary film titled ‘Big Bang Made’ was also released by the band. It narrated the struggles of the members and their journey since the formation of the band.
- Seungri appeared on the big screen in the 2016 film ‘High & Low: The Movie.’ In his career so far, he has also appeared in several variety shows, such as ‘Popular Women 100’ (2013) and ‘Girls Fighting’ (2016).
- Seungri released his first Korean studio album ‘The Great Seungri’ on July 20, 2018. The album housed the track ‘1, 2, 3!’
- He was seen in his first Chinese film ‘Bonjour L'amour’ which released on March 2, 2018. The same year, he joined the variety show ‘We Will Channel You’ as a regular cast member.
- Seungri has helped establish two branches of a music and dance academy called ‘Plug In Music Academy,’ which is also known as ‘Seungri Academy.’
- Seungri’s most significant work on the big screen is undoubtedly his role in the 2009 film ‘Nineteen.’ Directed by Jang-Yong Woo, the film revolves around three 19-year-olds who are accused of murder. Apart from Seungri, other actors in the film include T.O.P. (Choi-Seung hun), Huh E-jae, Kim Young-ho, and Lee Young-beom.
- His role in the TV series ‘Angel Eyes’ can be regarded as his most important work in his television career. The series aired from April to June 2014. Directed by Park Shin woo, the series revolved around a man and a blind woman who fall in love with each other but are forced to separate because of unfortunate circumstances in their families. The two reunite after several years, but the woman fails to recognize her former lover.
- ‘Let’s Talk About Love,’ Seungri’s second EP, is his most successful work in his solo musical career till date. It includes singles, such as ‘Let’s Talk About Love,’ ‘Gotta Talk To You,’ and ‘Come to My.’ It peaked at the 4th position on the ‘Japanese Albums Chart,’ and at 1st position on the ‘South Korean Weekly Albums Chart.’
- ‘Made,’ the third studio album by Seungri’s group ‘Big Bang,’ is the band’s most successful work till date. The album was a huge commercial success, and peaked at the 1st position on several charts. It also peaked at 172nd position on the ‘US Billboard 200,’ and at first position on the ‘US World Albums Charts.’ It sold more than six million copies in China. The album includes singles, such as ‘Let’s Not Fall in Love,’ ‘Bang Bang Bang,’ and ‘Sober.’
- Seungri, along with his band, has been nominated for 171 awards, out of which they have won 121 awards, including four ‘Korean Music Awards,’ seven ‘Golden Disk Awards,’ ten ‘Seoul Music Awards,’ and one ‘YouTube Music Award.’
- The band won ‘Artist of the Year’ award at the 2008 ‘Mnet Korean Music Festival’ and the 2008 ‘Seoul Music Awards.’
- In 2017, there were rumors about him dating one of his Chinese fans.
- In 2019, he was involved in the ‘Burning Sun Scandal’ which included drug abuse and arranging sexual favors for investors.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed