Robert Pattinson Biography
Sun Sign: Taurus
Also Known As: Robert Douglas Thomas Pattinson
Born Country: England
Born in: London, United Kingdom
Famous as: Actor
father: Richard, Richard Pattinson
mother: Clare, Clare Pattinson
siblings: Lizzy Pattinson, Victoria Pattinson
City: London, England
education: The Harrodian School, Tower House School
Robert Douglas Thomas Pattinson is an English actor, model, producer, and musician. He is known for portraying roles, such as ‘Cedric Diggory’ in ‘Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,’ and ‘Edward Cullen’ in the ‘Twilight’ movie series. Born in London, England, Pattinson started acting from his school days. His professional career began at the age of 15 when he appeared in the popular movie ‘Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.’ He was later cast in the ‘Twilight’ movie series, which was based on the ‘Twilight’ novel series by Stephenie Meyer. The series consisted of five films in which Pattinson portrayed the vampire ‘Edward Cullen.’ The movies were highly successful, and earned Pattinson worldwide recognition. He has won several awards, such as the ‘Hollywood Film Festival’ award and the ‘Scream Award.’ He has also been named one of ‘TIME’ magazine’s ‘100 Most Influential People in the World,’ as well as one of Forbes’ ‘Most Powerful Celebrities in the World.’ Also known for his philanthropic activities, he has helped raise awareness about cancer through his involvement with ‘The Cancer Bites Campaign.’ He has also worked with the ‘Prostate Cancer Research Foundation.’
- Robert Pattinson was born on 13 May 1986, in London, England. His father Richard used to import vintage cars from America, while his mother Clare used to work for a modeling agency. He has two sisters as well.
- Though he was shy from his childhood days, he had a great desire to be a performer. He was also inspired by his older sister Lizzy Pattinson, who was a singer. He received strong encouragement from his father to pursue acting. Later, he attended ‘Barnes Theater Club,’ a prominent theater program at ‘Harrodian School,’ a private school located in Barnes, England.
- Robert Pattinson made his TV debut in 2004 in a television movie titled ‘Ring of the Nibelungs.’ The same year, he played a small role in the movie ‘Vanity Fair.’
- Soon, he became acquainted with Mike Newell, who would later direct ‘Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,’ the fourth film in the ‘Harry Potter’ film series. Their acquaintance helped him earn the role of ‘Cedric Diggory,’ a friend of Harry Potter, in the movie. His role received appreciation and brought him fame. He was also seen in a cameo role in ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,’ the fifth installment in the ‘Harry Potter’ film series.
- Pattinson portrayed the character of ‘Edward Cullen’ in the film ‘Twilight,’ which released in 2008. The movie was the first installment of the ‘Twilight’ movie series. The film, which revolved around the romantic relationship between a girl, Bella Swan, and a vampire, Edward Cullen, was a massive success. The chemistry he shared with his co-star Kristen Stewart also received a lot of praise.
- He reunited with the ‘Twilight’ cast in 2009, for the sequel, ‘Twilight: New Moon.’ Directed by Chris Weitz, the film released on 16 November 2009. Like its prequel, the movie was a huge success commercially, grossing more than $700 million worldwide.
- In 2010, the third film in the ‘Twilight’ series was released and Pattinson continued playing the role of ‘Edward Cullen.’ Directed by David Slade, this movie too was a commercial success, like its prequels.
- In the following years, he appeared in both ‘Part 1’ and ‘Part 2’ of ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn’ (2011 and 2012). The films dealt with the struggle that Bella and Edward face because of their half-vampire half- human child.
- Meanwhile, Pattinson also appeared in other movies, such as ‘Love and Distrust’ (2010) in which he appeared in the lead role, and ‘Remember Me’ (2010), another romantic film where he portrayed the main role. Other films Pattinson appeared during this period include ‘Cosmopolis’ (2012), ‘The Rover’ (2014), ‘Maps to the Stars’ (2014), and ‘Queen of the Desert’ (2015).
- His film ‘The Lost City of Z’ was released in October 2016. Directed by James Gray, the movie is a biographical adventure drama, based on a book of the same name by David Grann. Pattinson appears in the main role, playing ‘Corporal Henry Costin.’ Though the film received positive reviews, it didn’t do well commercially.
- He then experimented by playing roles in movies of different genres like crime, comedy, and horror. He appeared in movies, such as ‘Good Time’ (2017), ‘Damsel’ (2018), ‘High Life’ (2018), and ‘The Lighthouse’ (2019).
- In 2019, he played ‘The Dauphin’ in David Michôd-directed historical drama film ‘The King.’ The film was based on a collection of William Shakespeare's plays. The same year, he also played ‘Officer Mandel’ in Ciro Guerra-directed English-language Italian drama film ‘Waiting for the Barbarians.’ The film premiered on September 6, 2019, at ‘Venice Film Festival.’
- In March 2019, he was cast to play an important role in ‘Tenet.’ Directed by Christopher Nolan, the movie also stars John David Washington, Elizabeth Debicki, and Dimple Kapadia in prominent roles.
- Pattinson was signed to play the next ‘Batman’ by the ‘DC Extended Universe,’ which is owned by ‘Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.’ It was reported on 31 May 2019 that Pattinson has been signed to play the iconic role in Matt Reeves' film ‘The Batman.’
- ‘Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,’ a British-American fantasy film, was the first major film in Robert Pattinson’s career. The film, which is based on a novel of the same name by JK Rowling, follows Harry Potter’s fourth year at the ‘Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry,’ where he is chosen to compete in the ‘Triwizard Tournament.’ Pattinson played ‘Cedric Diggory’ in the film. The film was a huge success, grossing nearly $900 million worldwide.
- Pattinson’s second fantasy film was the 2008 romantic fantasy film ‘Twilight,’ which was based on a popular novel of the same name by Stephenie Meyer. The film starred Pattinson as a vampire, ‘Edward Cullen,’ who falls in love with a human named Bella Swan, played by Kristen Stewart. The film follows the efforts of Edward and his family to keep Bella safe from other vampires with malicious intentions. The film was a commercial success, grossing nearly $400 million. It received mostly mixed reviews, and won several awards as well.
- In 2009, Pattinson appeared in ‘The Twilight Saga: New Moon,’ a sequel to ‘Twilight.’ Directed by Chris Weitz, the film starred Pattinson and Stewart in their respective roles as ‘Edward’ and ‘Bella.’ It also starred other actors like Taylor Lautner, Ashley Greene, Rachelle Lefevre, Billy Burke, and Peter Facinelli. The film was a commercial success, grossing more than $700 million. Though reviews were mostly negative, the film won several awards, such as the ‘ShoWest Fandango Fan Choice Award’ for the ‘Best Movie of 2009.’
- Robert Pattinson’s excellent acting skills have won him numerous awards. For his role in the ‘Twilight’ series, he has won several ‘Teen Choice Awards’ and ‘Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards.’ In 2012 and 2013, he won ‘Nickelodeon UK Kids' Choice Award’ for ‘Favourite UK Actor.’
- Other awards won by Pattinson include ‘Hollywood Film Festival’ award for his role in the movie ‘Twilight’ in 2009. In 2011, he was nominated for ‘People’s Choice Awards’ for ‘Favorite Movie Actor’ for his role in the movie ‘Water for Elephants.’
- For his performance in the 2014 movie ‘The Rover,’ he was nominated at the ‘Australian Film Critics’ Awards’ for ‘Best Supporting Actor,’ and also at the ‘Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards.’
- Robert Pattinson was in a relationship with his ‘Twilight’ co-star Kristen Stewart. However, they broke up in 2013.
- Later, he started dating singer Tahliah Debrett Barnett, popularly known as ‘FKA Twigs,’ and got engaged to her in 2015. But they broke off their engagement in 2017.
- Pattinson is known for his philanthropic activities, and has been involved with several social organizations. He has also been raising awareness about cancer all over the world.
- In 2010, a wax statue of Pattinson was added to ‘Madame Tussauds’ collection in London and New York City.
- An asteroid discovered in 2014 by a Russian astronomer was named ‘246789 Pattinson’ in his honor.
Robert Pattinson Movies
1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
(Mystery, Family, Adventure, Fantasy)
2. Good Time (2017)
(Crime, Drama, Thriller)
3. Remember Me (2010)
4. Water for Elephants (2011)
5. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (2012)
(Fantasy, Adventure, Romance, Drama)
6. Twilight (2008)
(Fantasy, Romance, Drama)
7. The Lighthouse (2019)
(Drama, Fantasy, Horror, Mystery)
8. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (2011)
(Adventure, Drama, Romance, Fantasy)
|2012||Best Kiss||The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (2011)|
|2011||Best Male Performance||The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010)|
|2011||Best Kiss||The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010)|
|2011||Best Fight||The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010)|
|2010||Best Male Performance||The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009)|
|2010||Best Kiss||The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009)|
|2009||Breakthrough Performance Male||Twilight (2008)|
|2009||Best Kiss||Twilight (2008)|
|2009||Best Fight||Twilight (2008)|
|2011||Favorite On-Screen Team||The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010)|
|2010||Favorite On-Screen Team||Twilight (2008)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed