Sam Claflin Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Samuel George Claflin
Born in: Ipswich, England
Famous as: Actor
Spouse/Ex-: Laura Haddock (m. 2013)
father: Mark Claflin
mother: Sue Claflin
education: Costessey High School, Norwich City College
Samuel George “Sam” Claflin is a gifted British actor who achieved universal stardom when he portrayed Philip Swift in the movie ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides’. He also received plaudits and praise for acting in movies like ‘Me Before You’, ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’, ‘Their Finest’ and ‘The Hunger Games’ film series. Sam, during his early years, had nursed ambitions to become a footballer but his aspirations were shattered when he fractured his ankle. Thereafter, encouraged by his parents, he started focusing on making it as an actor. Claflin launched his professional career as a theater actor, appearing in productions including ‘Love Is’, ‘The Man of Mode’, ‘As You Like It’ and ‘Tommy’. He debuted as a small screen actor when he was 25, featuring in miniseries like ‘Any Human Heart’, ‘Pillars of the Earth’, and in telefilms including ‘United’ and ‘The Lost Future’. Sam Claflin heralded his arrival on the silver screen magnificently when he bagged a role in the Pirates of the Caribbean’ movie series. His performance in the movie earned him roles in movies like ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’, ‘The Quiet Ones’, ‘My Cousin Rachel’ and ‘Journey’s End’. He has won a ‘Glamour Award’ in the category ‘Man of the Year’, and also has been nominated for several other honors and awards.
- Sam Claflin was born on 27th June 1986 in Ipswich, a county town in Suffolk, England, and spent his childhood in Norwich, a city in Norfolk County. His father Mark Claflin is an accountant while his mother Sue Claflin is an education assistant.
- He has two elder brothers, Benjamin and Daniel, and another brother Joseph who is the youngest. Sam was very passionate about soccer in his early years. He became a registered member of School of Excellence under Norwich City Football Club. He took to the field routinely but an unfortunate injury where he ended up shattering his ankle compelled him to stop playing the game for good.
- Sam attended Costessey High School (presently known as Ormiston Victory Academy) in Norfolk where he caught the attention of a teacher who encouraged him to take up acting. Egged on by his mother, he took admission in Norwich City College in 2003 pursuing a program in ‘Performing Arts’.
- Later on, Claflin went to London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art from where he earned his graduate degree in 2009.
- Sam Claflin initiated his career as a professional actor when he successfully auditioned for the role of ‘Richard of Kingsbridge’ in ‘The Pillars of the Earth’, a TV miniseries, in 2010. He went on to feature in seven more episodes of ‘The Pillars of the Earth’.
- He featured in a post-apocalyptic telefilm titled ‘Lost Future’ produced by SyFy Channel in 2010. He earned kudos for portraying junior Logan Mountstuart in the PBS miniseries ‘Any Human Heart’ which received a BAFTA Award in 2011.
- Claflin depicted Duncan Edwards, a footballer in ‘United’ a telefilm endorsed by BBC TV. The movie dramatized the tragic events surrounding the catastrophic plane crash that took place in Munich airport on 6 February 1958 when eight players and three staff members of Manchester United FC died.
- The turning point in Claflin’s acting career came when he was selected to enact Phillip Swift in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides’ the 4th film in the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ movie series.
- He was nominated for an Empire Award in the ‘Best Male Newcomer’ category in 2012 for his role in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides’. In the same year, he was cast as William in the movie ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’.
- He earned a nomination for Teen Choice Award for ‘Best Movie Breakout’ in 2012. He bagged the protagonist’s role of Brian McNeil in the film ‘The Quiet Ones’ in that very year that was commercially released in 2014.
- Lions Gate Entertainment Corporation made a formal announcement in 2012 on 22nd August that Claflin would be starring as Finnick Odair in ‘The Hunger Games’—a movie series. The 2nd installment of the film series titled ‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ directed by Francis Lawrence was unveiled for screening across theaters in 2013.
- Claflin’s immaculate depiction of the strapping hunk Odair in ‘The Hunger Games’ films earned him rave reviews. He was part of the supporting cast in the movie and shared screen space with Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Woody Harrelson, and Liam Hemsworth amongst others.
- The 3rd and 4th installments of the aforementioned film series, ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay’ (part 1 and part 2) were released in 2014 and 2015 respectively.
- It was officially declared in 2013 that Claflin would star as Alex Stewart in the movie ‘Love, Rosie’. The film is based on the novel ‘Where Rainbows End’, penned by the Irish author Cecelia Ahern, which became a bestseller following its publication in 2004.
- In March 2013, he appeared as Ben in the telefilm, ‘Mary and Martha’. The British-American film televised by BBC One, featured Academy Award winning actress Hilary Swank, and the English actress Brenda Anne Blethyn. Richard Curtis created the script for the telefilm directed by Phillip Noyce.
- Sam’s poignant portrayal of Alistair Ryle, a student of Oxford University in ‘Riot Club’, a crime thriller was highly extolled both by movie buffs and film critics.
- Claflin in 2016 reappeared as William in a sequel of ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’ titled ‘Winter’s War’. He also enacted the characters Will Traynor and Tom Buckley in the films ‘Me Before You’, and ‘Their Finest’ respectively in that very year.
- In 2017, he played the part of Philip Ashley in the movie ‘My Cousin Rachel’. He is featuring as Captain Stanhope in the movie ‘Journey’s End’ which is currently in post-production stage.
- Sam Claflin in his career so far has ably demonstrated his thespian finesse on both the silver screen and small screen. Notable amongst the roles he has played in films and TV series are his characters in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’, ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’, ‘The Hunger Games’, ‘Riot Club’, ‘The Pillars of the Earth’, ‘The Lost Future’, and ‘Any Human Heart’.
- Sam Claflin has been nominated for several awards and honors in his professional career so far. He was nominated twice for the ‘Empire Award’ (2012, 2014), thrice for the Teen Choice Award (2012, 2014, and 2016), and the MTV Movie & TV Award in 2017.
- He won the Glamour Award for ‘Man of the Year’ in 2014.
- Sam Claflin has both English and American blood flowing through his veins. Newton Cleveland Claflin, his paternal great-grandfather hailed from Revere, Massachusetts. He is a direct descendant of Robert McClaughlin who migrated to Essex in Massachusetts from Scotland in the 17th century.
- He first came across his actress wife Laura Haddock while both of them were auditioning for characters in the short film ‘My Week with Marilyn’ in 2011. Though Claflin and Laura both were unsuccessful in bagging their respective roles, they developed an affinity for each other which endured.
- Laura and Claflin became man and wife in 2013 after a prolonged courtship. The couple became proud parents of a son in 2015 and they presently reside in Chiswick, London.
Sam Claflin Movies
1. Me Before You (2016)
2. Love, Rosie (2014)
3. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
(Sci-Fi, Mystery, Adventure, Thriller, Action)
4. United (2011)
(Drama, Sport, History)
5. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (2014)
(Sci-Fi, Adventure, Action, Thriller)
6. Their Finest (2016)
(Drama, War, Romance, Comedy)
7. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (2015)
(Adventure, Sci-Fi, Action, Thriller)
8. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
(Fantasy, Action, Adventure)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed