Rey Misterio Sr. Biography
Nick Name: Bull Rider, El Genio, Mysterious King
Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: Miguel Ángel López Díaz
Born in: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Famous as: Wrestler
U.S. State: California
Miguel Angel Lopez Diaz, also known as Rey Misterio Sr., is a Mexican retired wrestler and trainer. He is also known as ‘Mysterious King’. Rey Misterio’s nephew, Rey Mysterio Jr., is also a professional wrestler. In order to avoid confusion between him and his nephew, Misterio adds ‘senior’ to his name. At first, Misterio Sr. had plans to become a boxer. But he faced certain obstacles due to which he had to change his mind and move to wrestling. His trainers helped him in his journey and recommended better methods. Even his family supported him, specially his brother who would take him for wrestling and lucha libre. Misterio Sr. made his wrestling debut in 1976. It was on the show known as ‘Day of the Kings’ or Dia de los Reyes. Following this, Misterio participated in many matches over the years. He won many championships and titles which earned him the fame and recognition. He is also known to have trained wrestlers like Extreme Tiger, Fobia, Venum Black, Ruby Gardenia, Eiji Ezaki and many others.
- Rey Misterio Sr. never had wrestling on his mind. His initial plan was to be a boxer. But destiny played a different role for him. When he was training, his body got bigger. As a result of this, he took many bumps and also faced problems as he had lost his punching ability. Later on, his trainers told him that he could revive his punching ability, and he could try wrestling. Soon enough Misterio Sr. began training for wrestling and lucha libre. His brother too helped him a lot. Finally, on 6 January 1976, Misterio got an opportunity to make his wrestling debut on a show known as ‘Day of the Kings’ or Dia de los Reyes.
- In 1990, Misterio teamed up with Konnan and played at World Championship Wrestling’s Starrcade 1990 pay-per-view event. He represented Mexico and competed in the ‘Pat O’Connor Memorial International Cup’. Misterio and Konnan defeated Chris Adams and Norman Smiley in the first round who were representing the United Kingdom. Even though the duo won in the first round, they lost to The Steiner Brothers in the second round.
- In 1987, Misterio decided to open a gym along with Negro Casas and Super Astro. His first class was filled with many future international superstars which included Damian 666, Psicosis, Halloween, Konnan, and his nephew Rey Mysterio Jr. Misterio Sr. is not only a great wrestler, but an efficient trainer too. He has passed his special skills to many others. He has trained many other wrestlers such as Cassandro, Eiji Ezaki, Extreme Tiger, Fobia, Misterioso, Pequeno Damian 666, Ruby Gardenia, The Warlord, and Venum Black.
- There are various championships that Misterio has won over the years. Some of them include IWC Television Championship, IWC World Middleweight Championship, Revolution Tag Team Championship with El Hijo de Rey Misterio, America’s Championship, Baja California Middleweight Championship, WWA World Junior Light Heavyweight Championship, WWA Tag Team Championship with Rey Mysterio Jr., and WWO World Championship.
- Rey Misterio Sr., Miguel Angel Lopez Diaz by birth, was born on January 8, 1958, in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico. He is the uncle of wrestlers Rey Mysterio Jr., Metalika, and El Hijo de Rey Misterio. In addition to this, he is brother-in-law to Super Astro. Apart from wrestling, Misterio has also ventured into acting and was seen in the horror film ‘El Mascarado Massacre (or Wrestlemaniac).
- Misterio was trained by Atila, Chamaco Martinez, El Solitario and Enrique Torres. His different ring names include El Genio, Bull Rider, Rayman, Maravilla Blanca, and Rey Misterio Sr.
- After making a name in the wrestling world for more than four decades, he retired in 2009.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed