Sun Sign: Libra
Also Known As: Kevin Wayne Durant
Born in: Suitland, Maryland, United States
Famous as: Basketball Player
father: Wayne Pratt
mother: Wanda Durant
U.S. State: Maryland
Kevin Wayne Durant is a professional American basketball player who currently plays for the Golden State Warriors of the National Basketball Association. The winner of an NBA Most Valuable Player Award, he has also won two Olympic gold medals. Born in Washington DC in the United States, Durant was enthusiastic about basketball from his childhood. During his teenage years, he used to travel around the country for basketball tournaments along with his father. He was also quite active in basketball in the schools he studied. After he entered the University of Texas, his brilliant skills in the sport earned him the Oscar Robertson award and the Adolph F Rupp awards, making him the first person to earn both honors as a freshman. Because of his incredible talents, he became eligible for the NBA draft after just one year of playing in college. As a professional basketball player, Durant’s biggest achievement came at the 2012 Olympics where he not only set the record for total points scored in an Olympic basketball tournament, but also helped the national team earn a gold medal. He rejoined the team for the 2016 Olympics, where the team earned a gold medal once again.
- Kevin Wayne Durant was born in Washington D.C., on September 29, 1988. His parents are Wanda and Wayne Pratt. While he was still an infant, his father deserted the family, and the boy was raised by his mother and grandmother. He has three siblings, a sister Brianna, and two brothers Tony and Rayvonne.Kevin grew up to be a very tall boy with a keen interest in sports. Though he was often teased about his height, his grandmother encouraged him saying that his height was actually a blessing and would help him in his athletic career. His father also returned to his life when Kevin was around thirteen and they toured the country together for basketball tournaments.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Kevin Wayne Durant began his early career by playing ‘Amateur Athletic Union’ basketball for several teams in the Maryland Area. During this time, he was introduced to future NBA Players Michael Beasley, Greivis Vásquez, and Ty Lawson.He studied at the National Christian Academy and at the Oak Hill Academy. In both schools, he was quite active in basketball. He later transferred to Montrose Christian School, for his senior year. By this time, he had grown to a height of six feet and seven inches.Later, for further education, he joined the University of Texas, where during the first year itself, he won both the Oscar Robertson and the Adolf F Rupp awards for his brilliant performance. Because of his exceptional basketball skills, he was considered eligible for the NBA draft after just one year of playing at college.He got selected in the 2007 NBA draft by the Seattle SuperSonics and began his professional career. He recorded 18 points, 5 rebounds and 3 steals in his first game, against the Denver Nuggets. The first match-winning shot of his career was made in a match against the Atlanta Hawks, which took place on 16 November. His brilliant performance earned him the name of the ‘NBA Rookie of the Year’.In the next season, his team relocated from Seattle to Oklahoma, and became the Oklahoma City Thunders. By the end of the year, Durant had raised his scoring average by five points as compared to the previous season. He was also considered for the ‘Most Improved Player Award’ though he eventually came third.He was selected for the 2010 FIBA World Championship. He played brilliantly at the tournament, leading USA to the World Championship trophy.After a couple of years, Durant was selected for the 2012 Olympics, where he not only set the record for total points covered in an Olympic basketball tournament, but also helped his team earn a gold medal. He again played for the National Team in the 2016 Olympics, where he helped the team win a gold medal once again. He was also named the 2016 co-USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year, along with Carmelo Anthony.Continue Reading BelowIn July 2016, he signed with the Golden State Warriors. Despite the fact that his move was received negatively by both the public and the NBA analysts, he signed a $54 million contract with them for two years.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Awards & Achievements
- During his collegiate career in 2007, Kevin Durant won the titles of ‘Naismith College Player of the Year’, ‘Big 12 Player of the Year,’ ‘USBWA National Freshman of the Year,’ and ‘NABC Division I Player of the Year.’He earned the ‘FIBA World Championship’ gold medal, along with the ‘FIBA World Championship Most Valuable Player’ in 2010.Playing for the US National Team, he earned gold medals at the 2012 and 2016 Olympics.At the NBA, Durant won the ‘NBA Rookie Challenge MVP’ (2009), ‘NBA All-Star Game MVP’, (2012), and ‘NBA Most Valuable Player’ (2014), among other honors.Personal Life & Legacy
- Throughout his career, Kevin Durant has dated several women such as Jasmine Shine, Ashley Champ, and Monica Wright.He is also known for his philanthropic activities. He pledged $1 million to the American Red Cross for the victims of the 2013 Moore tornado.Trivia
- Durant is a devout Christian and visits the Chapel before every game.He enjoys playing video games in his free time.
How To CiteArticle Title- Kevin Durant BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/kevin-durant-31127.phpLast Updated- July 17, 2017
People Also Viewed