Playboi Carti Biography
Jordan Terrell Carter, popularly known by his stage name Playboi Carti, is an American hip hop singer, rapper, and model. Growing up in a financially disadvantaged family, Carti had to struggle a lot during his early years. His early life struggles are reflected in his music and lifestyle even today. Carti started his career with the stage name of Sir Cartier. In 2012, he decided to change his musical style and deleted almost all his previous content from the internet. He also adopted the new stage name of Playboi Carti. He joined the underground Atlanta label ‘Awful Records’ and later switched to ASAP Rocky's ‘AWGE’. Currently under contract with the major record label ‘Interscope’, an imprint of Interscope Geffen A&M Records, Carti released his mixtape ‘Playboi Carti’ in 2017 which peaked at the 12th position on the US Billboard 200.
- As a young boy, Carti adopted the name ‘Sir Cartier’ and started releasing his songs on the internet. In 2012, he realized that he needed to take a step forward and joined rapper Father by signing with his underground music label ‘Awful Records’. Around this time he adopted the stage name of ‘Playboi Carti’ and got rid of his previous works from the internet.
- Carti teamed up with Da$h and Maxo Kream, two American rappers, to release two hit singles, ‘Broke Boi’ and ‘Fetti’ on ‘Soundcloud’. The singles earned him a lot of attention from the young audience on the digital platform. In 2016, he fell out with Father and switched labels with A$AP Mob's label ‘AWGE’ and immediately featured in the hit single ‘Telephone Calls’ from ‘Cozy Tapes Vol. 1: Friends’, the debut studio album by hip hop collective A$AP Mob.
- In April 2017, Carti released his eponymous debut mixtape which debuted at number 12 on the Billboard 200. The mixtape had two hit singles, ‘Magnolia’ and ‘Woke Up Like This’ (featuring Lil Uzi Vert), which reached the 29th and 76th positions on the Billboard Hot 100 respectively. Motivated by the success of his mixtape, he went on several tours alongside popular fellow rappers like Gucci Mane and Dreezy. Within a year of releasing his eponymous debut mixtape, Carti was named as one of the ten of XXL's 2017 Freshman Class.’
- He was featured in the single ‘Raf’ from A$AP Mob's second studio album ‘Cozy Tapes Vol. 2: Too Cozy’ which peaked at number six on the US Billboard 200 and reached number four on US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard). He was also featured on American singer and songwriter Lana Del Rey’s hit single ‘Summer Bummer’ which peaked at number two on New Zealand Heatseekers chart and number 23 on Billboard’s US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles.
- Known for his distinct style and fashion sense, Playboi Carti has also done several modelling assignments. He has been praised by GQ for being the “leader of a youth style”. Carti’s personality and appearance also speak a lot about his grooming which reflects in his stage persona. He prefers brands like Balmain and RAF Simons. He considers Kanye West to be his fashion inspiration.
- Playboi Carti was born as Jordan Terrell Carter on September 13, 1996, in Atlanta, Georgia. He went to North Springs Charter High School in Sandy Springs where he regularly used to skip classes to work at H&M as well as practice with his music group. In 2017, Carti was arrested by the Los Angeles Police on charges of domestic abuse after an argument with his then-girlfriend. Allegedly, he dragged his girlfriend by her backpack from the Los Angeles International Airport terminal. However, two months later the charges were dropped.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed