Patrick Stump Biography
Sun Sign: Taurus
Also Known As: Patrick Vaughn Stump
Born in: Evanston, Illinois, United States
Famous as: Singer-songwriter, Musician, Record Producer, Composer
Spouse/Ex-: Elisa Yao
U.S. State: Illinois
education: Glenbrook South High School
Patrick Vaughn Stump is an American singer, songwriter, record producer, music critic and actor providing vocals for his band ‘Fall Out Boy’. He is also a pianist, vocalist, rhythm guitarist and composer. The multi-talented boy from Illinois has stapled his name as one of the contemporary America’s best artists. He also works solo and his music has been described as being ‘Funky and R&B infused’. He has been also awarded with the ace magazine Billboard’s ‘one of the best voices in punk’ tag. His band’s four singles have managed to reach the top spot in the Billboard 200 charts and their studio album ‘Infinity on High’ was the first one to take a hold of the position, two more of their albums followed the suite and turned up on the first spot of the most followed American music chart, the Billboard 200. Patrick has worked often with several artists in collaboration and has produced albums for others as well. Some internal problems in the ‘Fall Out Boy’ forced him to leave the band for quite some time and in that time, he released a solo album ‘Soul Punk’, an extend play titled ‘Truant Wave’ and went out on a US and Europe tour to promote the EP, which eventually was liked by people. Stump rejoined ‘Fall Out Boy’ and has released two more albums until now.
- Patrick Vaughn Stump was born on 27th April 1984 in Illinois, USA to a folk singer, David Stumph, and an accountant mother, Patricia Stumph. He has two older siblings and being the youngest kid in the family, he was quite a pampered kid. Hard times dawned on him while he was 8 years old when his parents separated. He has gone on record saying in his interviews that his father used to be the biggest inspiration for him as he was a musical genius.
- Patrick attended Glenbrook High School in Illinois and it was always music for him whenever he got bored of regular stuff. He would listen to countless hours of music at one stretch. Apart from that, he started playing music at a very tender age when he got some toy instruments as birthday gifts.
- When he grew older, he started auditioning in different places and played drums in many Chicago bands. His energy level was high and he soon became a favourite of everybody in the group. He has stated that Michael Jackson was the biggest inspiration for him as kid, along with Tom Waits and Elvis Costello.
- Patrick Stump met the founder and the guitarist of ‘Fall Out Boy’ through a common friend and was immediately recruited as a band member. He was initially a drummer but soon his vocal skills helped him to become the lead vocalist of the band and then he went on to do composing for the band as well. The band was formed in 2001 and released their first venture, which was an extended play titled ‘Evening out with your Girlfriend’ in 2003.
- Soon afterwards, the band released their very first full-fledged studio album titled ‘Take this to your Grave’ and their first effort got them the attention of Island Records, one of the biggest music companies. The band started preparing for their first project under the major label and dropped an acoustic based EP meanwhile on fan’s demand.
- In 2005 came the biggest breakthrough for Fall Out Boy, in the form of their studio album titled ‘From Under the Cork Tree’ which was later certified as double platinum by RIAA. The album provided a necessary mainstream exposure to the band and was listed at number 9 on the Billboard 200 chart. Two tracks from the album ‘Sugar, We’re Going Down’ and ‘Dance, Dance’ rocked several music charts that year and the band started touring with the album as their fan base kept growing.
- In 2007, the band released their third studio album ‘Infinity on High’, which gave the band their first top spot in the Billboard 200. The album was an all out winner with the critics and other music charts as well, both nationally and internationally.
- ‘Folie a Deux’ was the band’s next studio effort which hit the markets in December 2008 and although it could not repeat the success of its predecessor, it was a moderate success and debuted on No. 8 spot in the Billboard 200 chart. The lead single from the album titled ‘I don’t Care’ went platinum, while rest of the album received mixed to good reviews from the leading music critics.
- ’Fall Out Boy’ temporarily went out of function in late 2009, citing the reasons that almost all the band members were busy in their side projects and it became difficult to maintain a schedule to work together and practice. Patrick took the opportunity and started working on his first solo album, which eventually got released in October 2011 to some good reviews. Meanwhile, he released his solo EP ‘Truant Wave’ in February 2011.
- In 2013, ‘Fall Out Boy’ made an unexpected re-entry with the album ‘Save Rock n Roll’, which again made its way to the top of the Billboard 200 list. Throughout the next two years, the band toured quite heavily and announced their next album which was ‘American Beauty/American Psycho’ which was released in January 2015 and the single ‘Centuries’ from the album went on to achieve the triple platinum status. In late 2015, Patrick provided a song for the movie ‘Charming’ titled ‘Trophy Boy’.
- Apart from the music, Patrick has also been quite busy exploring his acting skills with films such as ‘One Tree Hill’, ‘Law and Order’ and ‘Sex Drive’ and has provided scores for several projects, including films and TV shows.
- Patrick Married his long-time girlfriend, Elisa Yao, in 2012 and the couple welcomed a son, Declan, in 2014. Stump has faced lots of health issues in his life such as high cholesterol, diabetes and lost about 65 pounds when he separated from his band.
- Stump took an ‘h’ out from his last name citing the reason that it would become hard to pronounce for people.
- As of May 2017, Patrick Stump’s net worth is estimated to be around USD 15 million.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed