Mitch Grassi Biography
Nick Name: Mitchie
Sun Sign: Leo
Also Known As: Mitchell Coby Michael
Born in: Arlington, Texas, U.S.
Famous as: Singer-songwriter
father: Mike Grassi
mother: Nel Grassi
U.S. State: Texas
Mitchell Coby Michael, popularly known as Mitch Grassi, is a young American songwriter, singer and Youtuber. He gained fame as one of the lead singers and youngest member of the A Cappella vocal band ‘Pentatonix’. Pentatonix is an American Cappella (Vocal music without instruments) group from Arlington Texas that consists of five members - Avi Kaplan, Scott Hoying, Kristin Maldonado, Kevin Olusola and Mitch Grassi. The Youtube channel for Pentatonix (PTXofficial) has over 12 million subscribers, 2 billion views and is continuously growing. Grassi, along with the members of Pentatonix and their producer Ben Bram, are three time Grammy winners. Grassi has participated in many vocal and talent competitions, including the ‘Teen Talent Follies’, where he was judged at first position. He enjoyed doing stage performances and took part in musical theatre in his hometown at an early age. He is a counter-tenor with a voice that spans six octaves and one tone, from A1 to B7. Besides being a member of Pentatonix, in August 2013, he and Scott Hoying started a web-show called ‘Superfruit’ on Youtube which they both co-hosted and gained quick popularity. While continuing to be the lead singer of Pentatonix, he wishes to enhance his career in music production with the ambition of becoming a professional electronic musician and DJ.
- Mitch Grassi was born on July 24, 1992 in Arlington, Texas, to Mike and Nel Grassi. He is of Italian, Irish, Scottish and Welsh ancestry.He studied in Martin High School where he met Scott Hoying and took part in the school play ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’. He developed a penchant for theatre at an early age and soon found his calling in music theatre where he absorbed himself completely.He met Kristin Maldonado around the same time as Scott in elementary school at the age of eight. The three youngsters started their own vocal group, an A Cappella trio, at the age of 10, and called themselves ‘The Trio’.They posted their first cover of ‘The Telephone’ by Lady Gaga on Youtube for a radio contest in which Grassi sang alto. Being together in the Choir through their high school years greatly influenced the creation of ‘Pentatonix’. Their music was a hit on the school campus and soon gained recognition.Grassi made the TMEA All-State Choir three times during his high school career and was an extra in an episode of ‘Glee’ in which he portrayed a member of the Golden Goblets.He was a high school senior when he taped for the ‘Sing-Off’ reality singing competition hosted by Nick Lachey. He took part in many talent competitions and was so engrossed in his music that he missed graduation day due to an audition. Thus, Grassi ended up not attending college and made music his career.Scott Hoying is his closest friend from early school days. They even jointly owned a cat named ‘Wyatt Blue Grassi-Hoying’. Though Grassi did not attend college, it is believed that had he done so, it would have been at the University of Southern California with Scott.Continue Reading BelowYou May LikeRecommended Lists:
- Mitch Grassi began carving a niche for himself in music theatre in his home town from an early age. From school choir to High School days, and the formation of ‘The Trio’, his group created an amalgamation of different genres as each member had their own unique musical influence. Grassi considered his influence to be more electronic. He drew attention to himself and came into the limelight at the ‘Teen Talent Follies’ competition.In 2011 ‘The Trio’ evolved to become ‘Pentatonix’ with five members. To quote from an interview with Grassi, the name of their group identifies with their blend of music. The pentatonic scale has five notes and the group five members, wherein Grassi is one of the lead singers of the group.When questioned, he said, “Kevin and Avi are the rhythm section and the rest of us are the vocalists. Sometimes we switch roles. I actually like doing rhythms, but it rarely happens because I can’t get those low ends that Avi usually gets”.The group performs A Cappella, Pop, R&B and Soul music. They won the third season of NBC’s ‘The Sing Off’ in 2011, receiving $200,000 and a recording contract with Sony Music.Their debut EP PTX, Volume 1 was released in 2012, followed by PTXmas the same year. Pentatonix’s ‘That’s Christmas to Me’ holiday album went Gold and Platinum.Their contract with Sony Music did not last long, which made them turn to Youtube. In August 2013 Grassi and Hoying launched their web-show on the Youtube channel called ‘Superfruit,’ where they released videos every Tuesday. The channel crossed one million subscribers during the Christmas week of 2014.Three of their musical covers, ‘Evolution of Miley Cyrus’, ‘Frozen Medley Feat’ and ‘Beyonce’ have had more than 14 million views each on Youtube. They have collaborated with many celebrities, including Tyler Oakley, Grace Helbig, Tori Kelly, Miranda Sings, Todrick Hall, Mamrie Hart, Masie Williams and Victoria Justice.His career graph scaled new heights once he moved to Los Angeles with Pentatonix. He is presently working on a new album and practicing to dance ‘Gangnam’ style. He also plans a world tour in late 2017-18.He is widely visible on social media at Twitter @mitchgrassi, Instagram @mitchgrassi, Youtube / Mitch Grassi Superftuit and Snapchat mitchgrassi.Continue Reading BelowThe net worth of his group Pentatonix is $ 60 Million.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- Mitch Grassi’s work with Pentatonix and his Youtube channel ‘Superfruit’ are noteworthy. His popular numbers include ‘Na Na Na’, ‘Can’t Sleep Love’, ‘If I Ever Fall in Love’ and ‘First Things First’.The group has released four EPs and a full-length album which went platinum in 2014. They also made a cameo in the 2015 movie ‘Pitch Perfect 2’.Awards & Achievements
- Winning the first prize at ‘Teen Talent Follies’ for his rendition of Scott Alan’s ‘Kiss the Air’, was one of Grassi’s early achievements.Today he has three Grammy awards for his work with Pentatonix for ‘Daft Punk’ medley, cover of ‘Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy’ under ‘Best Arrangement, Instrumental or A cappella’ and cover of ‘Jolene’ featuring Dolly Parton under ‘Best Country Duo/Group Performance’ category.Personal Life & Legacy
- Mitch Grassi is slender, 5 feet 10 inches in height, has tan skin and dark brown hair and eyes. He is openly gay and uses both feminine and masculine pronouns. As per him, there are more advantages than disadvantages of being gay. He loves his fans for accepting him the way he is and it makes him feel closer to them.He has been dubbed as ‘the prettiest voice ever heard’ by Shawn Stockman of Boyz 2 Men. His musical tastes lean toward underground club and electronic music, making him describe himself as a ‘total music nerd’.He was engaged to Travis Bush, but the engagement broke off and his present status on social media is single. However, there are rumours of his secret marriage and lover being pregnant.There are also whispers in the music world that he may choose to retire from music as a profession at an early age and take up some other creative line.Trivia
- He has 12 known tattoos all over both of his arms, fingers, neck, and chest. They include logo names, an eye, scull bats, safety pins and even ‘Wyatt’, the name of his and Hoying’s hairless, grey Sphinx cat.
How To CiteArticle Title- Mitch Grassi BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/mitch-grassi-29911.phpLast Updated- February 20, 2017
People Also Viewed