Oz Perkins Biography
Sun Sign: Aquarius
Also Known As: Osgood Robert Oz Perkins II
Born in: New York, New York
Famous as: Actor
Spouse/Ex-: Sidney Perkins (m. 1999)
father: Anthony Perkins
mother: Berry Berenson
siblings: Elvis Perkins
children: Beatrix Perkins, James Ripley Osgood Robert Perkins III
U.S. State: New Yorkers
Oz Perkins is an American actor, director, and screenwriter who is best known for directing ‘The Blackcoat’s Daughter.’ As an actor, he is comfortable with performing a variety of roles in films across the genres of comedy, thriller, romance, drama, black comedy, and supernatural horror. However, there is no doubt that he is more drawn to the horror genre. After all, he is the son of Anthony Perkins, who is most famous for playing the lead role in Alfred Hitchcock’s ‘Psycho.’ Born Osgood Robert Perkins, he hails from a family with a strong foothold in the entertainment industry. His father and grandfather were both renowned actors while his great grandfather was an art historian. Given his family’s legacy, it comes as no surprise that he too chose to enter the world of entertainment.
- Oz Perkins started his acting career with ‘Psycho II’ in 1983. In the movie, he plays the role of 12-year-old Norman Bates in a brief flashback scene. His father had essayed the role of Norman Bates in the original ‘Psycho’ by Alfred Hitchcock.
- His next movie was ‘Six Degrees of Separation’ in 1993. John Guare, the screenwriter, was a friend of Perkins’ father. He had first met Perkins at his father’s birthday party. In an interview, Perkins stated that it was Guare who had probably recommended him for the role of Woody in the movie.
- His next movie was ‘Wolf’ in 1994. This was also a role that he landed due to his family’s connections. His father had died in 1992, and as a result, he had become a little disoriented in life at that time. His family friend, Mike Nichols, noticed that. At that time, Nichols was directing ‘Wolf’ and offered Perkins the job of an assistant. He did not actually assist in the movie, but did keenly observe the movie-making process. Moreover, he had two scenes in the movie.
- Oz Perkins was next seen in ‘Legally Blonde’ in 2001. In the movie, he essays the role of Dorky David. In the ensuing years, he appeared in ‘Not Another Teen Movie’ (2001), ‘Secretary’ (2002), ‘Dead and Breakfast’ (2005), ‘Star Trek’ (2009), and ‘Removal’ (2010). In addition to acting in ‘Removal,’ he was also one of the co-writers. He also made appearances in ‘Alias,’ a popular television series. After establishing himself as an actor, he began focusing on screenwriting and then directing. His next few projects over the years saw him contributing as a screenwriter or director.
- He made his debut as a director with the film ‘The Blackcoat's Daughter’ (2015). It is a horror movie that is full of haunting sensory experiences which keep the audiences on the edge. The movie is inspired by ‘Rosemary’s Baby.’ The musical score of this movie was given by his brother, Elvis Perkins. His next film as a director and screenwriter was ‘I am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House’ (2016). It is a horror film that revolves around an elderly lady, her nurse, and the haunted house that they live in. Critics termed it as an ordinary horror movie with no story. In the near future he will be directing ‘A Head Full of Ghosts’ and ‘Gretel and Hansel.’
- Oz Perkins was born on February 2, 1974, in New York City, USA. He is the son of Anthony Perkins and Berry Berenson. His mother was a photographer. He has a younger brother, Elvis Perkins. He graduated from Harvard-Westlake School and went on to enroll at the New York University. He studied for one year at the film school in NYU and then completed two semesters at the film school of USC. He ultimately decided to pursue a degree in English from NYU. In 1992, his father died after a long battle with AIDS. In 2001, his mother was killed in the 9\11 attacks.
- Oz Perkins was married to Sidney Perkins from 1999 to 2016. They had a son, James Ripley Osgood Robert Perkins III, and a daughter, Beatrix Perkins. He is not active on social media.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed