Olmo Teodoro Cuarón Biography
Olmo Teodoro Cuarón is the son of Mexican filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón and Italian actress and freelance journalist Annalisa Bugliani. Born in New York, Olmo hails from a family of gifted entertainers. Besides his parents, his paternal uncle Carlos is also involved in the industry as a screenwriter and director. His older brother Jonás is a director, producer, cinematographer, editor, and screenwriter. Olmo also has an older sister named Tess Bu Cuarón, who made a brief appearance in her father’s film ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’. While it is unknown if Olmo has any plans to pursue a career in the film industry in the future, he definitely has the pedigree for it.
- Olmo Teodoro Cuarón was born on January 24, 2005, in Flushing, Queens, New York City, New York, USA, to Alfonso Cuarón and Annalisa Bugliani. His father is a renowned Mexican filmmaker who has received five Academy Awards, including two awards for best director for ‘Gravity’ (2013) and ‘Roma’ (2018). He made his directorial debut in 1983 with the short film ‘Who's He Anyway’. His first significant project was an episode of the Mexican anthology series ‘Hora Marcada’. Alfonso’s first cinematic venture was the 1991 romantic comedy ‘Sólo con Tu Pareja’, which was based on a screenplay written by him and his brother Carlos. In the ensuing years, Alfonso directed films like ‘A Little Princess’ (1995), ‘Great Expectations’ (1995), ‘Y Tu Mamá También’ (2001), ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’ (2004), ‘Paris, je t'aime’ (2006), and ‘Children of Men’ (2006). He is set to direct the upcoming TV movie ‘Ascension’.
- Olmo’s mother, Annalisa Bugliani, is an accomplished actress and freelance journalist from Italy. Having made her debut in the 2001 comedy film ‘Ogni lasciato è perso’ (Every Dumped Boyfriend Is Lost), she also appeared in the romantic comedies ‘Casomai’ (2002) and ‘N'Gopp’ (2002). In 2004, she played a “mother in portrait” in the third instalment of the Harry Potter film series, ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’. She and Alfonso exchanged wedding vows in 2001. Their daughter, Tess Bu Cuarón, was born in 2002. The couple parted ways in 2008, about three years after Olmo’s birth.
- Olmo is the grandson of Alfredo Cuarón, a nuclear physicist, and Cristina Orozco, a pharmaceutical biochemist. Besides Carlos, he has another paternal uncle, Alfredo, who is a conservation biologist. From 1980 to 1993, Alfonso was married to actress Mariana Elizondo. Their son, Olmo’s older brother, Jonás, was born in 1981. As an up-and-coming filmmaker, screenwriter, and cinematographer, he has already accumulated several credits in his filmography. He co-wrote the screenplay of ‘Gravity’ with his father and shared the BAFTA for Outstanding British Film with him and producer David Heyman.
- Olmo is growing up predominantly in America. He currently resides in Mission Hills, Los Angeles, California, USA.
- Olmo was diagnosed with autism quite early in his life. In 2008, Alfonso took a break from his work to take care of his little son. At the 2019 Academy Awards ceremony, which Olmo attended with his father and sister, he made some facial gestures that were inevitably mocked on social media. It was then reported that he encounters several challenges whenever he attends a public event as the light and the noise can act as triggers.
- According to sources, Olmo has displayed an aptitude for illustration and animation. His father is one of the most prominent filmmakers of the 21st century. His older brother is carving out his own space in the industry as well. It’s possible that Olmo might also join them in the future.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed