Noomi Rapace Biography
Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: Noomi Norén
Born in: Hudiksvall
Famous as: Actress
Spouse/Ex-: Ola Rapace (m. 2001; div. 2011)
father: Rogelio Durán
mother: Nina Norén
siblings: Særún Norén
children: Lev Rapace
education: Skara School Scene
Noomi Rapace is a popular Swedish actress known for her portrayal of Lisbeth Salander in the Swedish film adaptations of the ‘Millennium’ trilogy of crime novels by Stieg Larsson. She is also known for playing the roles of Anna in ‘Daisy Diamond’ and Leena in ‘Beyond.’ She was born in Sweden and raised in Iceland. Entering the show business at an early age, she made her acting debut in the film ‘In the Shadow of a Raven’. She started gaining attention after playing the lead role in the Danish film ‘Daisy Diamond’. For her performance, she won the Bodil Award and the Robert Award. She came to international popularity for playing Lisbeth Salander, one of the main characters in the drama thriller ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,’ the first installment of the Millennium series. The film was adapted from the novel of the same name by Stieg Larsson. It was a critical and commercial success and helped establish her career on an international level. Her role earned her several awards and also a nomination for the BAFTA Award. She reprised her role in ‘The Girl Who Played with Fire’ and ‘The Girl Who Knocked the Hornets Nets’, which were adapted from the other two novels of the Millennium series. She was recently seen in the dystopian sci-fi thriller ‘What Happened to Monday?’ where she had seven roles.
- Noomi Rapace was born on 28th December 1979, in Hudiksvall, Sweden. Her parents were Rogelio Duran, a Spanish singer, and Nina Noren, a Swedish actress. She has a sister named Særún Norén who eventually became a photographer.
- Her parents divorced when Noomi was young. As stated by Rapace, she saw her father very rarely before he passed away. At the age of five, she moved to Iceland with her mother and stepfather.
- She made her acting debut at the early age of seven, with a minor role in the Icelandic film ‘In the Shadow of the Raven’.
- Rapace left home at the age of fifteen and enrolled in a Stockholm theatre school. She made her TV debut in 1996, with a role in the TV series ‘Tre Kronor’. Later, she studied at the acting school of Skara Skolscen.
- Noomi Rapace came to popularity in 2007, with her role of a troubled teen mother in the Danish film ‘Daisy Diamond’. Her role was much appreciated and earned her the Bodil Award and the Robert Award, the top two films awards in Denmark.
- Her role of Lisbeth Salander in the 2009 film ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ brought her to international attention. It was adapted from the first novel of the same name of the Millennium series of novels by Stieg Larsson.
- The film revolved around Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist, who is asked by Henrik Vanger of the wealthy Vanger family to investigate the disappearance of his niece forty years ago. Directed by Niels Arden Oplev, it was a critical and commercial success.
- Rapace’s role in ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ was quite appreciated and she won several awards, such as the Guldbagge Award and the Satellite Award. She was also nominated for the BAFTA Award for Best Actress.
- She reprised her portrayal of Lisbeth Salander in ‘The Girl Who Played with Fire’ which was adapted from the crime novel of the same name in the Millennium series. The film was a critical and commercial success, though it didn’t do as well as its prequel. She portrayed Salander again in the film ‘The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets’ Nest', which was a commercial success, though reviews were mixed.
- She was next seen in the Swedish drama film ‘Beyond’ (2010), directed by Pernilla August. It was based on a novel of the same name by Susanna Alakoski.
- She appeared in the Norwegian thriller film ‘The Monitor’ in 2011. Her popularity increased after she starred alongside Robert Downey Jr. in the mystery action film ‘Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows’ the same year. The film was a commercial success and was met with mixed reviews.
- She played the lead role in the 2012 sci-fi film ‘Prometheus’. Directed by Ridley Scott, the film was a commercial and critical success. It was nominated for an Oscar and also received several other awards and nominations. She was then seen in the erotic thriller ‘Passion’ which was a huge commercial failure.
- In the ensuing years, she appeared in the films ‘Dead Man Down’ (2013), ‘Child 44’ (2015), ‘Rupture’ (2016) and ‘Unlocked’ (2017). More recently, she appeared in the dystopian sci-fi film ‘What Happened to Monday’, where she played seven roles. In 2018, she was seen in the American crime drama film ‘Stockholm’.
- Noomi Rapace became famous for her role in the film ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ which can be regarded as one of her most significant works. Her role of Lisbeth Salander was much appreciated and won her several awards and nominations. The other actors in the film included Michael Nyqvist, Lena Andre and Peter Haber. The film received positive reviews and also did well commercially, earning more than $104 million on a $13 million budget.
- Another important work in Noomi Rapace’s career is the sci-fi film ‘Prometheus’, where she played Dr Elizabeth Shaw, the lead character. Directed by Ridley Scott, the film also included actors Guy Pearce, Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. The film was a huge financial success, earning more than $403 million on a budget of around $125 million. It also received mostly positive reviews.
- She was seen in the dystopian sci-fi film ‘What Happened to Monday’ where she played seven roles. Directed by Tommy Wirkola, the film also starred actors Willem Dafoe, Glenn Close, and Marwan Kenzari. The story takes place in a dystopian future where, due to overpopulation, a strict one-child policy has been enforced. If multiple children are born to the same mother, the younger ones are put to sleep. The film was met with mostly positive reviews.
- Noomi Rapace married Swedish actor Ola Norell in 2001. They decided to use the surname Rapace which meant ‘bird of prey’ in French. The couple has one son named Lev. They eventually filed for divorce in 2010; it was finalized the following year.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed