NLE Choppa Biography
NLE Choppa is the stage name of American rapper, songwriter, and social media influencer Bryson Potts. Choppa is best known for his 2019 single ‘Shotta Flow’ which went viral on the internet. The music video of the song gathered more than 15 million views in just six weeks from the day of its release on YouTube. It also peaked at number 33 and 81at ‘Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs’ chart and ‘Billboard Hot 100’ chart respectively. He then released another music video titled ‘Shotta Flow 2’ which went on to gather 20 million views within two months. Subsequently, a bidding war ensued between popular record labels, such as ‘Caroline Records,’ ‘EMPIRE Distribution,’ ‘Republic,’ and ‘Interscope.’ However, he turned down a $3 million record deal to enter a distribution partnership with Steve Stoute’s independent distribution company ‘UnitedMasters.’ In May 2019, Choppa performed at the ‘Beale Street Music Festival’ in Memphis, marking his music festival debut.
- NLE Choppa was born Bryson Potts on November 1, 2002, in Memphis, Tennessee, USA. He grew up in Memphis and went to ‘Cordova High School.’ In his childhood he was interested in playing basketball, however, he could not focus on basketball as he often got himself into trouble. At the age of 14, he started rapping along with his friends. After turning 15, he released his debut song ‘No Love Anthem’ under the stage name ‘YNR Choppa’. In December 2018, he appeared in a music video titled ‘No Chorus pt 3’ which received positive response on the internet. Choppa’s opening verse and dance moves earned him fans on social media.
- NLE Choppa released his breakout single ‘Shotta Flow’ in January 2019. Within two weeks of its release on YouTube, the song collected more than 300,000 views. It then went on to gather 10 million views within a month, making Choppa an internet sensation. American online magazine ‘Pitchfork’ heaped praises on the song and declared it as the magazine's ‘Song of the Day.’
- In February 2019, he came up with a sequel titled ‘Shotta Flow Pt. 2’ which gathered 20 million views within two months on YouTube. Choppa’s success sparked a bidding war between top recording labels. However, he turned down lucrative offers and joined hands with ‘UnitedMasters’ while retaining ownership of his master recordings.
- In March 2019, Choppa was featured in Juvenile and Birdman’s song ‘Dreams’ from the album ‘Just Another Gangsta.’ In April 2019, he was featured in Smokepurpp’s song ‘Double’ from the album ‘Lost Planet.’ The following month, he was seen in Hoodrich Pablo Juan’s song ‘Dance’ from the album ‘BLO: The Movie.’ In May 2019, he also released a single titled ‘Blocc is Hot.’ Produced by Atlanta-based producer ATL Jacob, the song was a tribute to Choppa's favorite rapper Lil Wayne. In the same month, he made his music festival debut when he performed at the ‘Beale Street Music Festival.’ His performance received positive reviews from critics with Bob Mehr predicting ‘more memorable Memphis moments’ in his career.
- NLE Choppa is popular on social media. His self-titled YouTube channel, which was created on January 27, 2018, has 745k subscribers as of May 2019. His first vlog ‘NLE Choppa Cali Vlog’ featured popular YouTuber Jake Paul. NLE Choppa is also active on other social media platforms, such as Instagram and Twitter. Apart from rapping, he is also known for his dancing skills. He often posts his dance videos on his Instagram page.
- NLE Choppa is close to his mother Angeleta Ellis Potts who managed his early career. Ellis Potts is popular on Instagram where she has thousands of followers. Choppa has an online store where he sells clothing and phone cases under the brand ‘No Love Entertainment’ (NLE). He aspires to turn ‘NLE’ into one of the most famous brands in the United States.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed