Nina Dobrev Biography
Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: Nikolina Konstantinova Dobreva
Born Country: Bulgaria
Born in: Sofia, Bulgaria
Famous as: Actress
father: Nikolai Dobrev
mother: Michaela Konstantinova
siblings: Alexander Dobrev
City: Sofia, Bulgaria
education: 2008 - Ryerson University, Wexford Collegiate School for the Arts
Nikolina Konstantinova Dobreva, popularly known as Nina Dobrev, is a Canadian actress and model, best known for her roles in ‘The Vampire Diaries’ and ‘Degrassi: The Next Generation.’ Dobrev was enthusiastic about art and entertainment from a young age. She had a passion for dance, gymnastics, theatre, music, and visual arts, and soon converted her passion into her profession. She started hogging the limelight while portraying the character of ‘Mia Jones’ in the drama series ‘Degrassi: The Next Generation.’ However, the best known role of her early career came in the form of ‘Elena Gilbert’ on ‘CW’ network's supernatural drama series ‘The Vampire Diaries.’ Television apart, she has starred in a number of films, including ‘The Perks of Being a Wallflower,’ ‘Let's Be Cops,’ and ‘The Final Girls.’ On the personal front, Dobrev is multilingual, and speaks English, French, and Bulgarian. She loves to travel and visits Europe often. She enjoys playing volleyball, soccer, swimming, rock climbing, wake boarding, snowboarding, and horseback riding. She used to represent Canada in international aesthetic gymnastics competitions.
- Nina Dobrev was born Nikolina Konstantinova Dobreva on January 9, 1989, in Sofia, Bulgaria, to computer-specialist father Konstantin Dobrev and an artist mother Michaela Dobreva. She has an older brother named Alexander Dobrev.
- When Dobrev was two, the family shifted to Canada, where she was raised in Toronto, Ontario. They have been living there since then.
- She first attended ‘Vradenburg Junior Public School’ and then went to ‘J. B. Tyrrell Sr. Public School.’ It was while attending school that she started training in ballet and jazz, and competed in rhythmic gymnastics. Following school, she enrolled at ‘Wexford Collegiate School for the Arts’ in Scarborough, Canada.
- Upon graduation, she studied at ‘Ryerson University’ in Toronto, majoring in sociology. However, acting got the better of her as she left studies in 2008 to pursue an acting career.
- She enrolled at ‘Armstrong Acting Studios’ in Toronto to take up acting classes. Her enthusiasm for dance, gymnastics, theatre, music, visual arts, and acting enhanced over time.
- Nina Dobrev started out as a model, making appearances in commercials and film auditions. She clinched the lead role in the television series ‘Degrassi: The Next Generation’ on ‘CTV’ in 2006. The series lasted until 2009, covering eight seasons and 52 episodes. She played the character of ‘Mia Jones’ in the teen drama.
- In 2007, she found herself debuting on the big screen with ‘Fugitive Pieces.’ The year also saw her appear in other films, such as ‘Away From Her,’ ‘How She Move,’ ‘The Poet,’ and ‘Too Young to Marry.’
- In 2009, Nina Dobrev earned herself the lead role in ‘CW’ network's supernatural drama series ‘The Vampire Diaries.’ In the television adaptation of the book series of the same name, she played the role of ‘Elena Gilbert.’ This series achieved worldwide success, and her performance received critical acclaim.
- Early in her career, she did several television films, such as ‘Never Cry Werewolf,’ ‘The American Mall,’ and a television film spin-off of the original television series, ‘Degrassi Goes Hollywood,’ which released in 2009. She finished the year with guest appearances in ‘Eleventh Hour’ and ‘Merry Madagascar.’
- Her big screen extravaganza continued as she found a minor role in the erotic thriller ‘Chloe’ in 2009. In 2011, she appeared in two films, ‘The Roommate’ and ‘Arena.’
- In April 2011, Nina Dobrev was cast as ‘Candace Kelmeckis’ in the film adaptation of ‘The Perks of Being a Wallflower.’ She was cast alongside Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Paul Rudd. The same year, she guest-starred in television series, ‘Family Guy’ and ‘The Super Hero Squad Show.’
- Her next outing on the big screen after ‘The Perks of Being Wallflower’ was for the ‘20th Century Fox’ comedy ‘Let's Be Cops’ in 2014. In the film, she starred alongside Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr.
- The year 2015 took Dobrev’s success story a little further. She played the role of ‘Vicki Summers’ in the horror comedy film ‘The Final Girls.’ The film received critical acclaim upon its release. Following this, she was cast in ‘Arrivals’ alongside Asa Butterfield and Maisie Williams, portraying the role of flight attendant ‘Izzy.’
- In 2015, she was also cast in the romantic comedy ‘Crash Pad,’ alongside Domhnall Gleeson and Christina Applegate. She also announced that the sixth season of ‘The Vampires Diaries’ would be her last season in the series. However, she made a guest appearance in the eighth season.
- In 2017, she was seen in the action film sequel ‘XXX: Return of Xander Cage.’ The same year, she also played ‘Marlo’ in the science fiction horror drama film ‘Flatliners.’
- In 2018, she was cast in the television series ‘Fam.’ The sitcom premiered in 2019 but was canceled after one season. In the series, Dobrev played the main role of ‘Clem’ in 13 episodes. In 2019, she played ‘Ashley Pollock’ in Ricky Tollman-directed drama film ‘Run This Town.’
- Nina Dobrev’s most amazing performance in her early career came in 2006 when she landed the lead role in the television series ‘Degrassi: The Next Generation.’ The series lasted until 2009, covering eight seasons and 52 episodes. Dobrev played the character of ‘Mia Jones’ in the teen drama. Her acting was lauded as she excelled in her role.
- Another major role of her career was in ‘CW’ network's supernatural drama series ‘The Vampire Diaries.’ A television adaptation of the book of the same name, the series saw Dobrev play ‘Elena Gilbert.’ Her portrayal of the character received critical acclaim.
- Nina Dobrev won several awards for her portrayal of ‘Mia Jones’ in ‘The Vampire Diaries.’ She won the ‘Teen Choice Award’ in the category of ‘Choice TV Actress – Fantasy/Sci-Fi.’ She won the award consecutively for six years from 2010 to 2015. Other categories in which she was awarded include ‘Choice TV Breakout Star – Female’ in 2010.
- She won the ‘Young Hollywood Award’ in several categories, including ‘Making their Mark’ and ‘Cast to Watch’ in 2010, and ‘Best Threesome’ (with Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder) in 2014.
- In 2012, she won the ‘People’s Choice Award’ for ‘Favorite TV Drama Actress’ and ‘Favorite On-Screen Chemistry’ (with Ian Somerhalder) in 2014. The following year, she won the ‘Favourite TV Duo’ with Ian Somerhalder.
- In 2014, she won the ‘mtvU fandom Ship of the Year’ award with Ian Somerhalder.
- She was also presented with the ‘San Diego Film Critics Society’ award for ‘Best Ensemble Performance’ for ‘The Perks of Being Wallflower’ in 2012.
- Nina Dobrev was in a relationship with her co-star Ian Somerhalder, who portrays the character of ‘Damon Salvatore’ in ‘The Vampire Diaries.’ However, things did not go well between the two and they broke up in 2013.
- Briefly, she was linked with ‘Dancing with the Stars’ dancer Derek Hough. The two showcased their love for each other candidly on social networking sites before calling it off in October 2013.
- She claims to be a tomboy and loves to swim. She carries her bikini with her all the time so that she can go for a swim whenever she wants.
- Nina Dobrev’s net worth is estimated to be around $10 million.
Nina Dobrev Movies
1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)
2. Away from Her (2006)
3. Fugitive Pieces (2007)
(Adventure, Drama, War)
4. The Final Girls (2015)
5. Let's Be Cops (2014)
6. Chloe (2009)
(Romance, Drama, Thriller, Mystery)
7. Dog Days (2018)
8. Crash Pad (2017)
|2015||Favorite TV Duo||The Vampire Diaries (2009)|
|2014||Favorite On-Screen Chemistry||The Vampire Diaries (2009)|
|2012||Favorite TV Drama Actress||Winner|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed