Maisy Stella Biography
Maisy Jude Marion Stella is a Canadian actor, and singer, better known as the half of the sister music duo ‘Lennon and Maisy.’ She rose to prominence with her role as ‘Daphne Conrad’ in the ‘ABC’s’ musical drama series, ‘Nashville,’ which was later moved to ‘CMT.’ She has earned attention with her singing and acting abilities. Born in Ontario, Canada, she grew up in a musical family, as she is the younger daughter of the music duo ‘The Stellas.’ Though she has never received any training, Maisy sings in two part harmony with her sister and also plays various musical instruments. Always interested in acting, she auditioned for the series ‘Nashville’ and both the sisters were selected for the show. They needed publicity to obtain their work visas, so they uploaded a cover of ‘Call Your Girlfriend,’ and overnight garnered fame and following. After that there was no looking back; the sisters have since released a number of covers, many of which have made to the charts. Maisy and her sister have also published a children’s book, ‘In The Waves,’ based on their original song of same title. She has performed at various shows and festivals and has also appeared on media shows.
- Maisy Stella was born on December 13, 2003, in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, the younger of the two daughters of singer-songwriter duo Brad Stella and his wife, MaryLynne Stella. The parents perform as a team, ‘The Stellas,’ and along with older sister Lennon, Maisy forms a music duo, ‘Lennon and Maisy.’ She was raised on a farm in Claremont, Ontario, in a family where all members worked in the music industry.
- She did not receive any professional training in music, yet plays a number of musical instruments, such as guitar, piano and she played ukulele since she was 3. She sings in two part harmony along with her sister, Lennon. The two began writing songs from an early age and accompanied their parents on their shows and at music festivals.
- In 2009, the Stella family relocated from Canada to Nashville, in order to further the parents’ music career. Presently they reside at Brentwood, Tennessee.
- In August 2012, the sisters came out with an EP, ‘Live YouTube Sessions,’ and during the same year they released a Christmas single, ‘Christmas Coming Home.’
- Along with music, Maisy was also interested in acting since childhood. During her younger days she had appeared in a number of commercials and music videos. A new ‘ABC’ TV show was being shot in Nashville. As her mother learnt about it, Maisy auditioned for the show. During the auditions, the casting representatives came across her older sister and decided to cast both of them.
- The ‘ABC’ series ‘Nashville’ began in October 2012, but before that Maisy and her sister needed to get their work visas, and for that they were required to prove that both of them were legitimate singers and actors. So the two girls uploaded cover version of Robyn’s ‘Call Your Girlfriend’ on the internet and it became an overnight hit. The video gathered nearly 2 million views in 2 days.
- This popularity fetched them an invitation to New York City to be a part of ABC’s ‘Good Morning America.’ With rising fame, their combined YouTube channel now has more than 700K subscribers and over 97 million views.
- In the series ‘Nashville,’ Maisy plays the role of ‘Daphne Conrad,’ daughter of the lead character played by Connie Britton. Later the series was moved from ‘ABC’ to ‘CMT (Country Music Television)’ for seasons 5 and 6.
- Maisy and her sister did the cover of ‘Ho Hey’ (by ‘The Lumineers) in ‘Nashville’ season 1. When ‘ABC’ released this song on Radio, it became ‘number 1 most added song’ in the nation and also made to the ‘Top 40’ on the ‘Billboard’s Hot Country Songs’ chart in April 2013. This song remains the number 1 most downloaded song of all the TV shows releases and she along with her sister has sold more singles than any other cast members of ‘Nashville.’
- This was followed by an invitation to perform at ‘CMA Awards’ later that year and they presented Taylor Swift with ‘Pinnacle Award.’ During 2014 summer, Maisy performed at the White House, and sang at Kimberley Perry’s wedding, as well as performed in the shows at various places such as Park City, Utah and Portugal.
- In the beginning of 2014, Maisy and Lennon recorded the song ‘Love’ for a TV commercial of ‘Coop Naturaplan.’ The song achieved gold certificate and reached number 1 on ‘Swiss iTunes Chart’ and for 3 weeks it remained number 2 most downloaded song in Switzerland.
- Maisy and her sister have performed a number of times at ‘Grand Ole Opry,’ the weekly country music stage concert in Nashville, and their video on the ‘Opry YouTube Channel’ is number 1 most viewed video.
- A new version of their hit holiday song ‘Christmas Coming Home’ in 2014 became US iTunes single of the week, when it was featured on the ‘Nashville’ cast Christmas album. Their cover version of ‘Big Yellow Taxi’ was featured in a ‘HBO special’ and their cover of ‘Boom Clap’ (Charli XCX’s) in 2015 February, made to the ‘Top 25’ on iTunes and garnered 10 million YouTube views.
- In April 2015, Maisy and Lennon turned authors and released a children’s book, ‘In The Waves,’ which was published by ‘HarperCollins Publishing.’ The book is based on their original song of the same name. During the book promotions, the two sisters appeared for the third time on ‘Good Morning America,’ and on many other such shows as ‘BuzzFeed,’ ‘The View,’ ‘Entertainment Tonight,’ ‘TODAT Show,’ ‘Fox & Friends’ and many others.
- Maisy and Lennon’s other popular cover versions include 2015’s ‘Ain’t No Rest For The Wicked’ (by ‘Cage The Elephant’), ‘Silent Night’ in December 2016, ‘Lean On’ (by ‘Major Lazor & DJ Snake’), ‘Up and Up’ (by ‘Cold Play’) among others.
- In July 2017, Maisy sang and starred in the music video, ‘Riding Free,’ which is the theme song for the ‘Dreamwork’s’ Netflix series ‘Spirits Riding Free.’ She also worked as a voice over for the same series. In December 2017 she was a guest judge on ‘Top Chef Jr.’
- Maisy and her sister have been named in a number of ‘Best Dressed’ lists, including the lists of ‘People Magazine,’ ‘U.S.Weekly,’ ‘USA Today,’ among others. They have also walked in a fashion show in ‘New York Fashion Week.’ In July 2016, the sisters designed exclusive furniture for ‘Pottery Barn Teen.’
How To Cite
People Also Viewed