Mo Collins Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Maureen Ann Collins
Born in: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Famous as: Actress
Spouse/Ex-: Alex Skuby (m. 2013)
mother: Winnie Collins
children: Cullen Englund
City: Minneapolis, Minnesota
U.S. State: Minnesota
Mo Collins is an American actor and comedian who is best known for being associated with the ‘FOX’ series ‘Mad TV.’ She is popular for her impressions of various celebrities. Mo was born and raised in Minneapolis, Minnesota, US, and was always interested in doing comedy. She appeared in theatrical plays during her high-school years, and following her graduation, she got enrolled at ‘The Brave New Workshop Comedy Theatre’ in her hometown of Minneapolis. She then participated in many theatrical productions and did a few commercials, too. In 1997, she moved to Los Angeles, and the next year, she signed up for ‘Mad TV’ and became a regular member of the cast. Over the years, she did impressions of many celebrities, such as Angelina Jolie, Pamela Anderson, Judy Garland, and Courtney Cox. However, her most popular character was ‘Doreen,’ the annoying mother of a toddler. She also appeared in a few films, such as ‘The 40-Year-Old Virgin’ and ‘Knocked Up.’ She was also known for appearing in many TV series, such as ‘According to Jim,’ ‘Parks and Recreation,’ and ‘Lady Dynamite.’
- Mo Collins was born Maureen Ann Collins, on July 7, 1965, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, US. As an adolescent, she was an aspiring artist. She had a penchant for art, and she often created oil paintings and acrylic paintings in her free time. While she also attended drawing classes, she was mostly a self-taught artist.
- She also developed a deep interest in comedy. Following her high-school graduation from ‘Robbinsdale Armstrong High School,’ she earned her bachelor’s degree from the ‘University of Florida.’
- In order to train in acting and “improv” comedy, she enrolled into ‘The Brave New Workshop Comedy Theatre’ in Minneapolis. She also started doing theatrical plays simultaneously.
- Mo Collins started her acting career with theatrical plays. She also appeared in about a dozen commercials as an actor and worked on her “improv” comedy and sketch-writing skills. In 1996, she played a tiny role in the film ‘Jingle All the Way.’ She moved to Los Angeles in 1997.
- By then, she was heavily experienced in sketch writing. Soon, she bagged an audition for ‘Mad TV,’ which had begun to be aired by ‘Fox’ in 1995. The audition was successful, and she was given a regular spot on the sketch-comedy show. She made her debut appearance in 1998.
- After joining the cast of ‘Mad TV’ at the beginning of its fourth season, Mo remained with the show until the end of the ninth season. She became one of the most sought-after cast members on the show. She became popular for doing impressions of many female celebrities, such as Courtney Cox, Angelina Jolie, Catherine Hicks, Mary Hart, and Madonna.
- One of her more popular characters on ‘Mad TV’ was that of ‘Doreen,’ a mother of a toddler. ‘Doreen’ had an iconic screechy voice that somehow became her signature trait. In addition, she also earned accolades for portraying the character ‘Lorraine,’ a confused and annoying middle-aged woman. Perpetually unlucky ‘Trina’ was another of her popular characters on the show.
- Her stint with ‘Mad TV’ also earned her various acting stints. She played a small role in the film ‘The 40-Year-Old Virgin,’ directed by Judd Apatow. She appeared in another film by Jude, ‘Knocked Up’.
- In the early 2000s, she was seen playing the small role of a business model-turned-secretary in the second season of the series ‘Arrested Development.’
- She also turned to voice acting with the ‘Nickelodeon’ cartoon ‘Invader Jim,’ where she voiced the characters of ‘Robo-Mom’ and ‘Zita’. She also impersonated singer Faith Hill on the show. Her other notable voice-acting stint was with ‘Star Wars: Dark Forces: The Collector’s Trilogy,’ where she voiced the character of ‘Jan Ors.’
- She did a guest appearance in a single episode of the series ‘Pushing Daisies’ and played a recurring guest role in the sitcom ‘According to Jim.’
- One of her other popular acting stints was with the sitcom ‘Parks and Recreation.’ The hit sitcom featured her in the recurring role of ‘Joan Callamezzo,’ the host of a fictional talk show named ‘Pawnee Today.’ She also appeared as ‘Susan,’ the lead character ‘Maria’s childhood friend, in the ‘Netflix’ comedy series ‘Lady Dynamite.’
- More recently, she was seen playing the role of ‘Tanya,’ the mother of the main character, ‘Chelsea Snap,’ in the sitcom ‘Teachers.’ She was also cast in the fourth season of the apocalypse horror series ‘Fear the Walking Dead.’
- She has also been quite frequent with her voice-acting roles. She voiced the character of ‘Dispatch’ in the animated series ‘Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts.’ She has also voiced many characters in the ‘Netflix’ animated comedy series ‘F is for Family.’ She has lent her voice to multiple characters in the ‘Disney Junior’ series ‘Sheriff Callie’s Wild West.’
- In 1993, Mo Collins married actor Jimi Englund. In 1995, the couple had a son, Cullen James Englund. They divorced in 2009. In 2013, Mo got married to actor Alex Skuby. They have had no children so far.
- In 2011, she discovered a weird lump on her abdomen. When she went to a doctor, she was diagnosed with a rare form of stomach cancer. She said that she had initially planned to ignore it but her then-fiancé, Alex, had asked her to consult a doctor. She is currently being treated for cancer.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed