Mama Dragun Bio
Age: 24 Years
Sun Sign: Aquarius
Also Known As: Nikita Dragun, Nyc Dragun
Born Country: United States
Born in: Springfield, Virginia
Famous as: Transgender makeup artist & beauty guru
Height: 1.53 m
siblings: Allegrah Capri Nguyen (sister), Taliah Nguyen Marriott (sister), Vincarlo Nguyen (brother)
U.S. State: Virginia
Mama Dragun is the online alias of American transgender makeup artist and beauty guru Nikita Dragun (also known as Nyc Dragun). She is considered a youth icon for transgender people for being open about her transition from male to female. Her YouTube channel, which has gathered over 2.8 million subscribers, consists primarily of makeup tutorials, vlogs, challenges, and inspirational videos about her transition. According to her, following her transition, she realized the kind of bias women have to go through on a regular basis, which has made her a feminist as well, apart from an LGBT activist. She is also very popular on Instagram and has more than 6.6 million fans on the platform.
- Mama Dragun started out on the image sharing platform Instagram, in which she had a very controlled image. As an avid YouTube viewer, she thought she could be a YouTuber as well, and brought her controlled image to that platform. In the early days, she never talked about her sexuality as she thought her followers would realize her transition. However, as that was not the case, she felt it necessary to come out publicly as transgender. She finally posted the emotional and confessional video 'I am transgender’ on December 28, 2015, which instantaneously went viral and her popularity on YouTube has only soared after that.Recommended Lists:
- Mama Dragun has also appeared as a model for the company Jeffree Star Cosmetics. In September 2017, she announced her first ever collaboration with a brand and unveiled her line of three wigs – Saphira, Khaleesi and Cassie – from Bellami Hair. In March 2019, she announced a make-up line, Dragun Beauty. The cosmetic line is mainly targeted towards the transgender community.
- Nikita Dragun has also featured on a docuseries on Snapchat titled ‘Nikita Unfiltered’. The docuseries premiered on March 21, 2020 and tracks Nikita’s unusual life journey and her fame as a trans woman.
- As a child, Mama Dragun liked playing with dolls and used to dress up prettily. Her mother first noticed that something was not right with her when, during her first physical education class, she lined up with the girls instead of the boys, and insisted on wearing shorts with side-cuts. As early as when she was only eight, she had started saving money for her transition after watching a documentary about transgender people. By the end of high school, she was so androgynous that she was "at the absolute peak of being gay". Due to LGBT issues being considered a taboo, she initially thought herself to be gay, and realized that she is a woman trapped into a man’s body only after growing up. After it became awkward for her to use the men's toilet, she decided on her transition, but was afraid about her conservative background. However, her parents were very supportive about her decision.
- Growing up in Virginia, she had never met a transgender person before, but she started to receive helpful advice from people all over the world after opening up on YouTube, which convinced her about the power of the platform. In mid-2015, as she started to gain popularity as a YouTuber, she moved to Los Angeles, where she met with more people from the LGBT community and began to feel more comfortable about her own transition. She decided to be real on her YouTube channel and help others by documenting her journey. As a result, in a YouTube video titled "Have I Gotten THE Surgery...," posted on July 22, 2018, she shared her hormone replacement therapy, going under the knife to change her body, and even showed people staples being pulled out of her skull.
- In February 2017, Mama Dragun received backlash after appearing in the ad campaign for Jeffree Star's Androgyny makeup line, which featured her alongside other LGBT models. In her Instagram profile, she posted a picture of herself from the ad campaign, in which her face appeared significantly darker than she normally looks. This created an uproar in the internet community against Jeffree Star, who had previously been accused of being racist. Critics asked why he could not hire an African-American model and instead decided to blackface an Asian model. She tried to defend herself in the wake of the controversy stating that being half-Mexican and half-Asian, her skin gets naturally very dark when she tans. In a later interview she expressed her disappointment over the controversy and stated that the campaign was "intended to welcome all gender identities, sexualities, and races to enjoy the makeup line".
- Mama Dragun was born on January 31, 1996 in Springfield, Virginia. Her father is Vietnamese and her mother is Mexican. She has two sisters – Allegrah Nguyen Capri and Taliah Nguyen Marriott – and a brother named Vincarlo Nguyen. She was trained as a male singer in school, but now intends to train again to rediscover her voice after her transition. She joined a four-year course at Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising in Los Angeles in 2014. She has two dragon tattoos on her chest and her back, and a writing in Arabic on her wrist that means 'dragon'. She was previously in a relationship with fashion designer Oscar Utierre.
Mama Dragun Fans Also Viewed